• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe's Stone Hut Burns

BenedictGomez

Update....

Dear Stone Hut Enthusiasts,

Greetings,

This is the time when we would normally be sending out a notice announcing acceptance of reservation applications for the winter use of the Stone Hut. This year, of course, is different. Rebuilding the Stone Hut is underway and our plan is to be able to have people occupy the building by December 1. But, because so much can happen to slow down a construction project, we are delaying the reservation process for at least a couple more weeks so we can better judge the contractor's progress toward the completion goal. Thank you for your patience as we work as hard as we can to rebuild this wonderful building. Stay tuned.

Sincerely,

Craig Whipple
Director of State Parks

VTKilarney

It will be open by Christmas. That way the Carpenter family can win their 17th consecutive "random" raffle for that peak week.

KustyTheKlown

i just got home from burton's 40th anniversary party/season launch in brooklyn. jake burton certainly footed the bill for that one. top shelf open bar, free customizable t-shirts for everyone, free van leuwen ice cream, stickers and assorted branded paraphenalia. sean white, danny davis, jake burton appearances. premiere of some scenes from burtons newest snowboard film projects. some live entertainment and djs. was swag as fuck.

no free lift tickets :(

thetrailboss

Staff member
i just got home from burton's 40th anniversary party/season launch in brooklyn. jake burton certainly footed the bill for that one. top shelf open bar, free customizable t-shirts for everyone, free van leuwen ice cream, stickers and assorted branded paraphenalia. sean white, danny davis, jake burton appearances. premiere of some scenes from burtons newest snowboard film projects. some live entertainment and djs. was swag as fuck.

no free lift tickets :(

And yet they cannot foot the entire bill for the landmark public facility that their kids stupidly burned down....

KustyTheKlown

yep. that party definitelt cost a lot of money. I didn't realize it was gonna be so grandiose. I intended to just pop in and I ended up staying for 3 hours

BenedictGomez

It will be open by Christmas. That way the Carpenter family can win their 17th consecutive "random" raffle for that peak week.

LOL. I jokingly thought the same thing while reading that.

On a serious note though, the negative attention from Burton using his influence to scam the "random" lottery, has likely put an end on Clan Burton locking up the #1 most desired week year after year.

Does make you wonder what Burton did all those years for the folks who "randomly" pick the winners.

Brewbeer

Here is a pic from the other day (courtesy of powderfreak)
attachment.php

Attachments

• stonehut reconstruction.jpg
    stonehut reconstruction.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 179

mbedle

:blink: Huh? Where did you hear that?
After re-reading the below quote, I guess it does not exactly say that the state refused them, just that it wouldn't be right to have them pay for it all by them themselves. However, they are in fact already doing it. With a $100,000 deductible, their $150,000 donation will cover the 100K.

Snyder said in February he would be happy with donations from anyone, but said it would not be right to have the Burton brand attached to the rebuild. He said if the Carpenters “want to play a part in helping,” they’re welcome to, but a lot of other people want to help, too.

“It’s owned by the people of Vermont, by statute,” Snyder said.

Jcb890

After re-reading the below quote, I guess it does not exactly say that the state refused them, just that it wouldn't be right to have them pay for it all by them themselves. However, they are in fact already doing it. With a $100,000 deductible, their $150,000 donation will cover the 100K.

Snyder said in February he would be happy with donations from anyone, but said it would not be right to have the Burton brand attached to the rebuild. He said if the Carpenters “want to play a part in helping,” they’re welcome to, but a lot of other people want to help, too.

“It’s owned by the people of Vermont, by statute,” Snyder said.

That quote doesn't really clear things up either. Just because the family would/could pay the full cost to rebuild, it doesn't mean the "Burton brand" would be attached to the rebuild. All it would mean is that they would be paying to fix what they had destroyed. Footing the bill to help pay contractors, etc. The quote above almost makes it sound like Burton offered to give Stowe the $150,000 if they called it the "Stowe Stone Hut presented by Burton" or "Burton's Stone Hut."

BenedictGomez

That quote doesn't really clear things up either. Just because the family would/could pay the full cost to rebuild, it doesn't mean the "Burton brand" would be attached to the rebuild. All it would mean is that they would be paying to fix what they had destroyed. Footing the bill to help pay contractors, etc. The quote above almost makes it sound like Burton offered to give Stowe the $150,000 if they called it the "Stowe Stone Hut presented by Burton" or "Burton's Stone Hut."

Exactly, which given the circumstances, I find hard to believe that was even suggested. The total lack of self-awareness would have been shocking.

sull1102

There's no chance of was to be renamed or anything of the sort. Guy might be a donkey most of the time, but that would take it to another level and hurt "the brand." It makes some sense, only because this is the crazy State of Vermont, that they wouldn't let Burton pay for it entirely thinking that someday it could bite them on the a**. I completely disagree with it and they should have allowed him to pay for the full rebuild if he wanted to. It's not as if a regular UVM kid and his four friends burned it to the ground that kid would get this same treatment or have the financial ability to pay for the rebuild.

Jcb890

There's no chance of was to be renamed or anything of the sort. Guy might be a donkey most of the time, but that would take it to another level and hurt "the brand." It makes some sense, only because this is the crazy State of Vermont, that they wouldn't let Burton pay for it entirely thinking that someday it could bite them on the a**. I completely disagree with it and they should have allowed him to pay for the full rebuild if he wanted to. It's not as if a regular UVM kid and his four friends burned it to the ground that kid would get this same treatment or have the financial ability to pay for the rebuild.

I guess as long as it is getting rebuilt without substantial cost to the mountain or tax-payers, then it's all good with keeping as little involvement as possible by a company or other large entity.