• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Silverton - 12/27/15

skiNEwhere

I've never skied SW Colorado before, and the 4 day week seemed like a good chance to knock out Silverton and Telluride. I skied telluride the previous 3 days and drove to Silverton after the last day. What should've only been a 1.5 hour drive turned into a close to 4 hour detour through Cortez and Durango due to Red Mountain Pass (US 550) being closed.

Silverton was reporting something ridiculous like 70 inches of snow the prior week. It has stopped snowing in Christmas, so Saturday would've been the perfect day to ski there for untouched snow, but our guide showed us a few spots that still had a little powder left. Due to so much snow falling at once, a lot of the mountain was closed due to avalanche danger, we actually had to traverse through multiple debris fields to get to a couple spots.

All and all, it was a fun little trip but the snow was a little heavier than I expected. I was using my K2 pontoons which definitely helped out though.

The Base lodge, or just "the yurt"
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1451402994.255732.jpg

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1451403027.127705.jpg

100 Acre woods - This was pretty tight in spots
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1451403079.294558.jpg

One of the debris fields we had to traverse across
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1451403114.604578.jpg

I always love to see East Coast representing
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1451403133.574101.jpg

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

Well this looks pretty awesome. Does it live up to the hype?

Yes, definitely. Talking with the guide, there's many different lines to fit every type of skiers preference. Tight trees, steeps, cornices etc.

Word to the wise, a lot of the low branches aren't pruned in the glades so your gear might end up getting snagged on it.

I skied such a small % of their terrain, I will need to get back there (and telluride, which was epic)