• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What $hit show!

drjeff

Is that typical for this date, or is the west currently inundated with east coasters?

From the probably now 50 days over 15+ years that I've skied Deer Valley, I've heard their ambassadors say that typically the only time that sell out days happen are during the traditional 3 primetime Holiday periods, Christmas + Presidents Week and MLK Weekend, even then it's still less likely to have a sell out day than there is.

Deer Valley has a TON of uphill capacity and lots of acreage to spread people out over!!!

hammer

From the probably now 50 days over 15+ years that I've skied Deer Valley, I've heard their ambassadors say that typically the only time that sell out days happen are during the traditional 3 primetime Holiday periods, Christmas + Presidents Week and MLK Weekend, even then it's still less likely to have a sell out day than there is.

Deer Valley has a TON of uphill capacity and lots of acreage to spread people out over!!!
We went over President's Day week (kids were in school at the time) and the two days we were at DV were sell-out days. Even with that volume it didn't feel anywhere near as crowded as EC ski areas can over the holidays.

mlctvt

Exactly, even on a sellout day Deer Valley's on trail crowds are probably much better than a normal Mt Snow weekend.
Last time I skied there the lodges and just the easy over groomed trails near the lodges were crowded.
I'd much rather be there or anywhere else out west this week!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Pats Peak was ski on with limited people on the trails. Not much open but what was was in good shape. After lunch today the triple went down and only the peak double was open and the line sucked. took one run after lunch (1:30-2) and left.

The triple went down? That sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
Exactly, even on a sellout day Deer Valley's on trail crowds are probably much better than a normal Mt Snow weekend.
Last time I skied there the lodges and just the easy over groomed trails near the lodges were crowded.
I'd much rather be there or anywhere else out west this week!

Right. Deer Valley has MORE lift capacity and trail capacity but intentionally cap ticket sales at a lower number to keep the experience positive. People pay a premium for that.

xwhaler

Head on a swivel most of the day at Ragged yesterday as well. All sorts of ability levels on limited terrain and variable conditions. Was surprised I didn't see more collisions out there

drjeff

Could be worse!! One of the owner's of the shop I get most of my gear at up at Mount Snow cross posted this picture taken at Mount Tremblant yesterday by one of his friends!!! :eek:

Attachments

• 1451656890790.jpg
    1451656890790.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 209

thetrailboss

Staff member
Could be worse!! One of the owner's of the shop I get most of my gear at up at Mount Snow cross posted this picture taken at Mount Tremblant yesterday by one of his friends!!! :eek:

Love that woman's expression!

Edd

Oh. Hell. No.

JimG.

Staff member

Ha! That is funny.

We were at K the past 2 days and we saw a few areas that looked like that: Chute down to Snowdon quad and of course Bunny Buster. We managed to start early and stay ahead of most crowds both days but it was a total zoo.

prsboogie

That is NOT right! I would be at the bar!!

Quietman

Crotched was a little busy at times on the 2 top to bottom routes, but many times looked like this, and I never waited in line while I was there from 11-4 today. Even skied some low angle glades with the 5 inches of sleet that they got this week. Also, got the best parking spot!! Joshua, had fun skiing with you and a big thank you for the glade clearing work!!!

Crotch 20.jpg

Crotch 21.jpg

crotch 22.jpg

crotch 23.jpg

crotch 25.jpg

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Ha! That is funny.

We were at K the past 2 days and we saw a few areas that looked like that: Chute down to Snowdon quad and of course Bunny Buster. We managed to start early and stay ahead of most crowds both days but it was a total zoo.

Yep, below mousetrap was pretty much like the picture. Can't wait for the expansion.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Crotched was a little busy at times on the 2 top to bottom routes, but many times looked like this, and I never waited in line while I was there from 11-4 today. Even skied some low angle glades with the 5 inches of sleet that they got this week. Also, got the best parking spot!! Joshua, had fun skiing with you and a big thank you for the glade clearing work!!!

View attachment 18367

View attachment 18368

View attachment 18369

View attachment 18370

View attachment 18372

You guys are nuts. I've got no problem with damaging my skis on thin cover, but I couldn't believe how the whole mountain was being poached this week on such little base. Saw tracks everywhere yesterday. Even coming out of Dark Star.

Last edited:

steamboat1

Yep, below mousetrap was pretty much like the picture. Can't wait for the expansion.

Wasn't there myself. Pic of lower Bunny from today. No thanks. Be there Tues.

attachment.php

Lower GN.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160101_165404-1-.jpg
    20160101_165404-1-.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 300
  • 20160101_165316-1-.jpg
    20160101_165316-1-.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 292