Fat Bikes - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fat Bikes

So, the question is, how much fatbike do I need?

Bean's has 2 Scott models I am seriously considering; the Big John and the Big Ed.

The Ed comes tubeless ready, has an X9 rear and X7 front, Shimano hydraulic disc, and a host of other stuff. (Bluto with a remote lockout)

It's a bit expensive but, with 15% off and a bunch of gift cards, I can get it down a bunch.

The John has LX rear, Deore front, hydraulic disc, rigid fork, non tubeless. It's also $500 cheaper. (but a Bluto alone is almost $600)

Quote Originally Posted by BackLoafRiver View Post
    So, the question is, how much fatbike do I need?

Bean's has 2 Scott models I am seriously considering; the Big John and the Big Ed.

The Ed comes tubeless ready, has an X9 rear and X7 front, Shimano hydraulic disc, and a host of other stuff. (Bluto with a remote lockout)

It's a bit expensive but, with 15% off and a bunch of gift cards, I can get it down a bunch.

The John has LX rear, Deore front, hydraulic disc, rigid fork, non tubeless. It's also $500 cheaper. (but a Bluto alone is almost $600)
    If it's only $500 I'd get the Bluto version. You really don't need the Bluto for riding only in snow but for frozen rutted trails which are common here in New England, it really smooths things out. It will be much less tiring with Bluto.
    Also if there is an chance you will use this in summer definitely get then Bluto.

Trigger pulled today but not on the original bike I was considering.

There was a fat bike demo at Beans last weekend. Reps from Scott and Rocky Mountain were there. They also had some Reid, Minnesota, and...some other brand.

They had a little course set up but, due to the warm weather, the snow was getting beaten up fairly fast.

Demoed several bikes but ended up really liking the Rocky Mountain blizzard.

I also got a chance to try a pimped out altitude and Thunderbolt. The altitude was super rad. Set up as an enduro rig that the rep rocked at thunderbolt all summer. It was buttery smooth.

Anyway...back on topic. The blizzard should be in this week. Now...we just need the ground to freeze up.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Rode on Saturday with a friend who has a Rocky Mountain Blizzard. He's had it since Oct last fall, So far it's been a great bike no issues at all. Nice wide rims and good tires too at a great price point. It does very well in all conditions. I think he does better in the snow than my Motobecane Night train Bullet with Vee Snowshoe tires.
    Enjoy it, you'll love it I'm sure.

Bike trails just as bad as the ski trails these days. Just a 5 mile long sheet of ice. But really a blast anyway! Even without studs the new ride handled it fine. I was totally shocked by the traction on the climbs. Downhill was fast and treacherous.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another pic of the bike rink today....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yuck. Good on you for getting out there.

More pics to come. All I want to do is ride and everything is too wet. ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1457145016.387879.jpg

A few shots from today. It rode so well. Only complaint was this heavy pull to the left. I had to counter steer a lot. Brought it back to the shop so they can reassess.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1457317876.704655.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1457317892.972312.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1457317903.874173.jpg

Nice looking rig!
    Brian

Thread Information