Fat Bikes

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Bikes

Hybrid View

Fat Bikes

The more this season progresses the more I'm looking for a fat bike to take the sting out of bad ski conditions. Anybody been getting out? Any top recommendations for a bike in $1.5K range?

I've been riding my new fat bike 2-3 days per week since November. I'd rather ride than ski a WROD during the holidays. I'm very happy with my BikesDirect Night Train Bullet with Bluto fork. It was on sale for $1599 a couple of months ago but I think it's $1799 shipped now. You can get it without the Bluto for $1399. I got the Bluto because this will be my only mountain bike but if you will only be riding in snow I'd go without it. I've replaced the saddle, seat post and handlebars and converted to tubeless. It's still heavy at 33lbs.
    Good discussion on the BikesDirect Night Train at MTBR.
    You just missed the incredible Surly fat bike sale but Specialized is currently discounting their fat bikes. Altrec also has great prices on the Framed fat bikes link

Framed Minnesota 3.0 XWT w/Bluto en route to my door!

Great bike at an incredible price, you'll love it!
    If I hadn't already bought the Night Train that's the exact bike I would have ordered.
    Have fun.

If you don't already have them buy a low pressure tire gauge and a fork pump. It's amazing how just a couple of pounds of tire pressure makes a big difference in how the bike rides & handles.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    Framed Minnesota 3.0 XWT w/Bluto en route to my door!
    Love my Minnesota 2.0!
    "If you ride your bike everyday...... Your going to be a better rider!"

Thanks!

That price is silly.

I've been scouring Craigslist lately looking to pick one up on the cheap. It'd be fun to have to tool around on and the general consensus is that it still rules, even in the summer. A back-up bike is great and to have one that plays well in the snow makes a lot of sense.

Post up some thoughts when you take her out.

Quote Originally Posted by BackLoafRiver View Post
    That price is silly.
    Silly good I hope?

Bump.

How do you like it? In the Bike Log Thread, I noticed the rigid fork. Did you opt out of the Bluto?

I still haven't pulled the trigger but it is getting awfully close.

Quote Originally Posted by BackLoafRiver View Post
    Bump.

How do you like it? In the Bike Log Thread, I noticed the rigid fork. Did you opt out of the Bluto?

I still haven't pulled the trigger but it is getting awfully close.
    Loving it! I have the Bluto but haven't installed it yet. I want to ride it rigid for a while to get a feel for how I want to set it up once I do install it. (plus I haven't had time).

It's such a fun ride. What a blast coming downhill through a few inches of snow! Even blasting through snowbanks is fun.

Thread Information