• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Utah Ski Areas - Compare and Contrast???

BenedictGomez

even when it's down to Loveland and A Bay there's still a ton to ski.

I started taking a hard look at Winter Park last night as the skiing seems pretty good and the lodging within 10 minutes is very cheap. And then I could hit Loveland and A-Bay one day each for some variety. Only negative is I'm not sure if there's much to do in the Winter Park area on the rest days, but I'll keep looking. Others in the running are Whistler, Banff, and Utah again, I imagine something in CA that stays open too.

snoseek

I started taking a hard look at Winter Park last night as the skiing seems pretty good and the lodging within 10 minutes is very cheap. And then I could hit Loveland and A-Bay one day each for some variety. Only negative is I'm not sure if there's much to do in the Winter Park area on the rest days, but I'll keep looking. Others in the running are Whistler, Banff, and Utah again, I imagine something in CA that stays open too.

Its not cheap but snowmobiling is popular in that area. Also RMNP is fairly close for a hike/snowshoe. The valley in general is sleepy compared to Summit but it makes for a relaxing vacation. I'm a huge fan of the mountain....I like it better than any of Vails property in state but that's just me.

4aprice

Its not cheap but snowmobiling is popular in that area. Also RMNP is fairly close for a hike/snowshoe. The valley in general is sleepy compared to Summit but it makes for a relaxing vacation. I'm a huge fan of the mountain....I like it better than any of Vails property in state but that's just me.

No pain, No Jane.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just saw a blurp, 145 " otg near Brighton. That's just gaudy.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Better believe it! The road up at Brighton last week:

16938708_10154746261089667_4551516551175662406_n.jpg

slatham

Easter is a bad pinpoint because the target moves. Easter can fall anytime between late March and late April.

Keep in mind too that many Eastern/Urban school systems have time off for Easter AND Passover. Often times they coincide, with Easter first followed by Passover week, or vise versa (this year its Passover, then Easter Sunday 4/16).

Last year Easter was in late March while Passover was the last week of April, so I doubt it played a role in closing dates for most areas. This year I am sure it did.

slatham

Question, if one were thinking of booking Solitude for the Easter/Passover break of April 8-15th, how last minute could this be done? Thanks for any insight.

SnowRock

May as well throw this here... first Bird trip for me this week. Somehow have not skied Utah in all my years... had to cancel a trip once due to that whole work thing. Looks like we will be sunny and dry from our arrival Thursday till Monday.

Any advice on how to attack the mountain with what looks like a few days for google tanning after a great cycle this past weekend/week? I'll be the lone sideways slider with two skiers. I like steep and technical a bit more than my compadres, but I have ridden places like whistler and jackson with these guys and we are all happy/comfortable getting into most terrain.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
May as well throw this here... first Bird trip for me this week. Somehow have not skied Utah in all my years... had to cancel a trip once due to that whole work thing. Looks like we will be sunny and dry from our arrival Thursday till Monday.

Any advice on how to attack the mountain with what looks like a few days for google tanning after a great cycle this past weekend/week? I'll be the lone sideways slider with two skiers. I like steep and technical a bit more than my compadres, but I have ridden places like whistler and jackson with these guys and we are all happy/comfortable getting into most terrain.

Start with Mineral Basin, then the cirque and then the road to Provo and the Rasta Chutes. That way, you can "warm" up in Mineral basin, plus the sun starts over there early.

4aprice

Question, if one were thinking of booking Solitude for the Easter/Passover break of April 8-15th, how last minute could this be done? Thanks for any insight.

Probably fairly easily if you don't have to stay up at the resort, however by that time the Utah Transit busses probably will have shut off. Trailboss may have different info but I remember them shutting it down at the end of March. Its hard for me to guess how many beds are up in that village, I've been in it, but not really explored it. There's a small hotel/motel up at Brighton but probably really hard to get into. Rent a car and stay in the valley, I would think you could get away fairly cheaply.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, you will be in heaven at Snowbird. The skiing and riding is off the hook. Agree with the strategy of starting in Mineral Basin and working the lines there. Your friends can ski groomers or something tamer while you hit it and meet them at the lift. Be sure to get into Bookends. Also be sure to check out the steeper lines of Dog Kennel Chutes (under the MBX), Chamonix Bowl, and White Diamonds. It is all filled in nicely.

Be sure to do the Baldy Hike. About 10 minutes for some great lines.

Cirque--lots of good stuff.

Hit Little Cloud Bowl and Rasta, Hoopie's, and Old Ladies.

Gad 2: great trees and snow. If you don't mind hiking, do the gates and check out the stuff on looker's left of Gad 2.