• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"Whales" or "wales"?

Whitey

I started this thread and even I would be willing to have a AZ moderator come in and bash it on the head like a hunter with a baby seal.

PS - 100% mortal lock that I will use "wale" to describe piles of man made snow in all of my AZ posts from now until I die (or am banned from AZ for starting this thread).

Dickc

The only thing I am sure of is how shocked I am that this thread has lasted this long and generated 50 replies. . . .

But I would say that it's reasonable to assume that the 1st pile of man made snow appeared not long after they turned on the 1st snow gun. When was the 1st time someone looked at those piles and called it "w____s" - who knows? That's why I asked the question. I didn't think anyone would really have the answer. But it was worth trying.

The contrarian in me likes "challenging assumptions".

This thread would be much shorter if MOTHER NATURE would give the Northeast some REAL SNOW!!!!!:angry:

Hado226

I don't know, but patrol at our hill harpoons them with bamboo to mark them as hazards...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Unfortunately irregardless is now considered a word who definition is listed as "regardless." Irregardless, I personally, will refrain from using this bastardization of proper English.

makimono

Unfortunately irregardless is now considered a word who definition is listed as "regardless." Irregardless, I personally, will refrain from using this bastardization of proper English.

This undubitably is what the OP was shooting for by attempting to change the time honored and widely known usage of Whales to the bastardization Wales and see how many people would just sit idly by and accept it. I'm glad it was roundly thrashed to the tune of 7 pages!

wtcobb

Irregardless, there are literally whales all over the mountain. I can't even.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Speak and Spell using Tapatalk.

freeski

I've had some thoughts on this recently. I assume it is whales because they resemble the sea creature. But here's the thing, there's a new term in skiing, Tuna Speed. Now one would think a tuna is a very fast swimming fish and that's where Tuna Speed comes from. But we know this is not the case. So, this has me wondering if I am in error on snow "whales".

mriceyman

I've had some thoughts on this recently. I assume it is whales because they resemble the sea creature. But here's the thing, there's a new term in skiing, Tuna Speed. Now one would think a tuna is a very fast swimming fish and that's where Tuna Speed comes from. But we know this is not the case. So, this has me wondering if I am in error on snow "whales".

Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

Tuna Speed was derived because of bdfreetuna when he recorded speed of 75 mph on the upper section of Bunny Buster.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Mapnut

Fall gets its name because that's when Daylight Savings Time falls back.

Also J-bars are properly called L-bars half the time depending on which side you get on. Also on whether they're going up or down the hill.

Smellytele

Fall gets its name because that's when Daylight Savings Time falls back.

Also J-bars are properly called L-bars half the time depending on which side you get on. Also on whether they're going up or down the hill.
So before daylight savings time it was just Autumn?