• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mohawk Mountain 1/18/2016

sf77

A great day at Mohawk Mountain today in Cornwall, Connecticut. Fresh powder that had fallen from the night gave the mountain a nice touch early in the morning. About 1-2 inches of fresh powder was on the mountain when I arrived at 8:30am, and taking a few runs out I easily realized this was the best snow of the season so far at Mohawk. Turns could be made effortlessly with nice groomed hard pack underneath the fresh powder. The sun also decided to come out later in the day, which was a bonus, but it was VERY cold and windy. It didn't get above 23 degrees and the winds were strong, blowing the snow around a lot especially at the peak. As the afternoon came and more people packed in for MLK Day, the fresh powder from the morning was pushed off leaving some icy spots on some of the more narrow trails. It wasn't as busy as yesterday (Sunday), but they still ran the Bolder Summit Lift for the whole day. Snow making was continuing to go on the entire day on Deer Run, Route 100, and Timber. I expect them to open up those trails in the next few days. Overall an amazing day at Mohawk!
IMG_20160118_093451743_HDR[1].jpg