• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Jan 24, 2016

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
After skiing 6 or 7 times On. The. Same. Slope. I finally got a choice of THREE trails at Ragged.

Date(s) Skied: Jan 24, 2013

Resort or Ski Area: Ragged Mt., Danbury, NH

Conditions: Sunny, warmish with really hard pack with pockets of manmade granular

Trip Report: I keep hearing how good things were in the morning and if I keep getting to Ragged after 1:30 PM I’ll probably keep hearing that this whole season. But hey, it was fast and fun and I had THREE trails to choose from. Would have been four but Flying Yankee was closed for a race event. No snow made in either Exhibition or Showboat. I think these are the only two trails that remain to have snow made on them but saw no preparation to do so yet.

Pinnacle Peak Trails by Bob Misuraca, on Flickr

Spear HSQ by Bob Misuraca, on Flickr

The Meadow by Bob Misuraca, on Flickr

Poachable Exhibition by Bob Misuraca, on Flickr

The View by Bob Misuraca, on Flickr

deadheadskier

Staff member
I know everyone is struggling this year, but it appears Ragged has taken a step backwards from the improvements they made in snowmaking in the past five years. What's the word on the hill?

hammer

Flying Yankee was in nice shape when we were at Ragged on the 17th. Only problem was that too many people were bringing their novice kiddos down it. I'm not a fast skier and I whipped by at least a few people on that trail...

Would help for them if they could get a few more trails open. Wonder what's holding them up on the snowmaking.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I think they have always struggled in low snow years. Even though they can replenish the pond from the bog word is that they really can only concentrate on one slope at a time. The only two main slopes without snowmaking so far are Exhibition and Showboat.

Unpaved Showboat by Bob Misuraca, on Flickr

hammer

I can understand Showboat, looks to me like they have to make a crapload of snow to get it open. Not sure why they haven't done more to get Exhibition open though.

dlague

Exhibition and Showboat are two of their best groomed trails. That is unfortunate, but those trails require a lot of snow to get them ready.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm assuming Birches too as you need Exhibition to get to it? Thought they started making snow on it in recent years. I know the pipes are there for it.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I'm assuming Birches too as you need Exhibition to get to it? Thought they started making snow on it in recent years. I know the pipes are there for it.
That's true! And I'm always surprised when it opens. Yeah that'll be last on the list if it opens at all.

podunk77

I'm sure it's happened, but I can't recall ever skiing Ragged without Exhibition open. Seems like one of their signature/essential trails. Thanks for the pics of the Pinnacle trails... helps me situate it in my mind.

yeggous

This is a shame. I have Ragged tickets and have been holding off going so far. I love that place, but they clearly need natural help.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I'm sure it's happened, but I can't recall ever skiing Ragged without Exhibition open. Seems like one of their signature/essential trails. Thanks for the pics of the Pinnacle trails... helps me situate it in my mind.

This is a shame. I have Ragged tickets and have been holding off going so far. I love that place, but they clearly need natural help.
Keep the faith people. Ragged may be a slow starter but as long as it stays cold they'll eventually get things filled in. Last year they opened Showboat before Cardigan. Exhibition was done almost last as I recall.

rocojerry

Keep the faith people. Ragged may be a slow starter but as long as it stays cold they'll eventually get things filled in. Last year they opened Showboat before Cardigan. Exhibition was done almost last as I recall.

I have faith, just hope it pays off! :) Hope to get up there next southern NH storm!

dlague

We have comps there too and plan to hold as long as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Newpylong

Exhibition has been near last every year which goes to show what they think of their automated Klik hydrant investment.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Exhibition has been near last every year which goes to show what they think of their automated Klik hydrant investment.
What do you think they think? Don't they use that system on other slopes like Flying Yankee, Cardigan Tpk, Newfound Ridge, Upper, Lower Ridge and the like?

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

Ski areas should mostly open up trails more IMO. I ducked a couple ropes at Stowe and it was totally worth it.

Mad River Glen and Sugarbush have a better policy when it comes to thin cover: put a sign up top saying "thin cover" and let the rock skiers go for it.

Thin cover don't bother me one bit. Not with 5 year old skis that I barely ever sharpen or wax. Rip it regardless. Rocks are for jumping over, stumps are for skiing around or stepping down over, sticks are for helping to prune the slope, a little dirt never hurt, and ice is for pointing them skis downhill until you find some snow!

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Ski areas should mostly open up trails more IMO. I ducked a couple ropes at Stowe and it was totally worth it.

Mad River Glen and Sugarbush have a better policy when it comes to thin cover: put a sign up top saying "thin cover" and let the rock skiers go for it.

Thin cover don't bother me one bit. Not with 5 year old skis that I barely ever sharpen or wax. Rip it regardless. Rocks are for jumping over, stumps are for skiing around or stepping down over, sticks are for helping to prune the slope, a little dirt never hurt, and ice is for pointing them skis downhill until you find some snow!

This is the trail for you then!

bdfreetuna

Looks good enough on the left side. Looks like another decent line right under the lift too. Who wouldn't want those freshies? It's called "technical skiing" ;)

hammer

When I was there Exhibition looked "technical"...Showboat was just plain sketchy.

Also, don't they usually have to cover up the large low spot near the bottom of Showboat? Seems like they should try to fill that in during the off season if possible.