• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Granite Pass

thebigo

Anyone know when the Granite pass typically goes on sale? Has Peaks offered the buy early and ski the remainder of this year free perk in the past?

Despite my best attempts to go anywhere else, I have been vetoed by the rest of the family and we will be spending a week in March at Attitash.

Do not have passes this year, were planning to buy Granite passes for the family next year. Would obviously schedule vacation to use the passes this year if possible.

Edd

My memory says that the spring pass last year was on sale in March. You could then upgrade it for next year's pass, with the spring pass costs counting toward the purchase. That was a good deal. So, you might have a shot.

ScottySkis

Dr Jeff I believe knows answer to this.but yes in past you buy the laws for next season and use it this year.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

drjeff

Peak usually rolls out their next season pass product prices the 1st week of March, with them going on sale about a week after the price announcement in mid March

I'm curious to see how the Hunter addition will play into things. I'm sure it will be just added into the unrestricted Nor'easter Pass, but I'll be interested to see if they create something like the Granite pass, except for the NY Metro Market with Hunter and Jack Frost/Big Boulder and maybe a few non Holiday time days at Mount Snow thrown in???

Jully

Peak usually rolls out their next season pass product prices the 1st week of March, with them going on sale about a week after the price announcement in mid March

I'm curious to see how the Hunter addition will play into things. I'm sure it will be just added into the unrestricted Nor'easter Pass, but I'll be interested to see if they create something like the Granite pass, except for the NY Metro Market with Hunter and Jack Frost/Big Boulder and maybe a few non Holiday time days at Mount Snow thrown in???

I'd be fairly confused if they did not fit Hunter into a multi mountain NYC market with Mt Snow.

yeggous

I'd be fairly confused if they did not fit Hunter into a multi mountain NYC market with Mt Snow.

What is the multi-mountain pass market like in the metro NY area? Do they have motivation to create such a product as opposed to just including them on the Nor'easter pass?

For comparison, such passes are uncommon in Vermont where Mount Snow is. However, the Granite Pass competes directly against the White Mountain Super Pass, the Judge Pass, the New England Pass.

drjeff

My hunch is that the only pass with both unrestricted Hunter and Mount Snow will be the Nor'easter (the only unrestricted pass that us Mount Snow regulars can get BTW) and that they'll pair Hunter with Jack Frost/Big Boulder at a price point somewhere between the full Nor'easter and the Granite Pass

I doubt that they'll have a "Hunter only" pass for anything more than say just Sunday's only or possibly mid-week

I'm just going off of what Peak has done before with their pass offerings, so time will tell if they're going to change things up a bit or not with Hunter in their holdings now....

yeggous

My hunch is that the only pass with both unrestricted Hunter and Mount Snow will be the Nor'easter (the only unrestricted pass that us Mount Snow regulars can get BTW) and that they'll pair Hunter with Jack Frost/Big Boulder at a price point somewhere between the full Nor'easter and the Granite Pass

I doubt that they'll have a "Hunter only" pass for anything more than say just Sunday's only or possibly mid-week

I'm just going off of what Peak has done before with their pass offerings, so time will tell if they're going to change things up a bit or not with Hunter in their holdings now....

Sounds reasonable. They will absolutely not offer a NY metro pass that includes any days at Mt Snow at any lower price point than the existing Nor'Easter. To do so would only serve to cannibalize their current pass sales.

Jully

If Peaks eliminates a Hunter only pass option that might make the Hunter regulars very angry. However, as you said, it is what they've done previously, so it wouldn't surprise me.

The Granite Pass does compete against other multi mountain passes, but if I remember correctly it was the success of the Granite Pass that drove the creation of other pass options in NH. I would guess that they might try and create a market like that again in NYC. I feel like VT and the NYC metro area would be a great region to try a new pass option like we see in NH.

Pairing it with JF/BB and not Snow would actually make a lot more sense, you're right.

Either way though, only lumping Hunter into the Noreaster pass I think would be wasting the acquisition's potential.

JimG.

Staff member
If they try to sell a Hunter/JF/BB trio and no Hunter only pass and then raise prices $200 for the pass I guarantee they will lose a considerable chunk of Hunter regulars.

I would never ski at JF/BB. Why bother?

No offense to the Mt. Snow regulars, but I would have to think very hard about a price increase if they threw in Mt. Snow also.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hopefully they do offer a stand alone Hunter pass. It's not close enough geographically to require Hunter skiers to purchase services they likely won't use.

The do offer a stand alone Crotched pass......

Edd

The Granite (Classic, really) Pass stole my business from Boyne, along with a friend of mine. I wonder how many of us there are?

JimG.

Staff member
Hopefully they do offer a stand alone Hunter pass. It's not close enough geographically to require Hunter skiers to purchase services they likely won't use.

The do offer a stand alone Crotched pass......

I hope. They are going to have to compete with the NYS 3 in 1 (Belleayre, Gore, Whiteface). This season the 3 in 1 cost the same as a Hunter only pass. I would guess that if Hunter raises prices then the state will also follow suit.

At which time it will make more sense for me to just buy a season pass at Killington.

Brad J

I am sure it is on sale the second saturday in March and you will have skiing privileges for rest of season at Attitash and Wildcat which tries to go to end of April, Attitash shuts its doors first weekend in April no matter how much snow in on the ground. All said its is a good value with Wildcat committed to an early opening.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Joshua, do you know if attitash or crotched offer lessons for three year olds?

I don't know about Attitash, but CM offers private-lessons-only for that age group.

So while the short answer is, "yes". there is more: You must be aware that at that age, it can be a real crap shoot (depending heavily on the child) whether or not the child gets anything out of it. It can quickly turn into a very expensive baby sitting session. I saw one kid who after 15 minutes of clinging to mom's leg, the parent realized they just wasted a pile of money; more often, I'll see a child tire in about 15 to 20 minutes and the instructor spends the rest of the hour playing games with the child; children are much more sensitive to the cold, so be careful of the temp or the instructor may spend half the lesson time inside letting the child warm up; etc.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I suppose speculation is the fodder that fuels Sports Talk Radio, so why not AZ? I don't think that Peak Resorts Management has even decided how they are going to integrate Hunter into the Peak Resorts family. While I live adjacent to Crotched Mtn., (and ski CM almost daily), I am certainly not a Peak Resorts insider - and I don't think that any of the AZers is!