• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Granite Pass

VTKilarney

I don't think that Peak Resorts Management has even decided how they are going to integrate Hunter into the Peak Resorts family.
Are you serious? You honestly believe that they just spent $36.8 million without having a plan for how Hunter will fit into their portfolio?

drjeff

Dr Jeff thinks he is. :) Actually he has some good info from them - well some is opinion

I have been fortunate enough over the years to have become friends with many of the Mount Snow admins, some of whom who have been promoted up within the Peak organization (and other ski areas/ski corporations as well), and they're good people to talk to (and maybe share a beer or 2 with when I see them), and ask relevant questions about ski area management and operations to.

Sure they have some company secrets that only they are privy too, but when it comes down to it, underneath it all they're genuinely excited to be working in the ski business and often have some big plans about where they want to take it. And frankly by asking some questions and listening to their answers, and the reasons behind the answers, I have been able to learn a bunch about the ski area business

deadheadskier

Staff member
Email your buddy Brian at Wildcat and tell him to get with the snowmaking on Black Cat!!!

They've got enough mellow cruising terrain open. We could use a bit of advanced terrain to ski!!!

;)

drjeff

Email your buddy Brian at Wildcat and tell him to get with the snowmaking on Black Cat!!!

They've got enough mellow cruising terrain open. We could use a bit of advanced terrain to ski!!!

;)

I'd expect them to have some new, demo "toys" to play with later next week, as the BIG National Ski Areas Association annual winter Eastern trade show is at Killington next week, and often after that a bunch of new demo products pop up at ski areas. Since Peak is essentially using Wildcat as their test site for air/water snowmaking guns, I'm guessing they might have some new models to play with a bit before finalizing their summer snowmaking ordering plans for the '16-'17 season.....

abc

If they try to sell a Hunter/JF/BB trio and no Hunter only pass and then raise prices $200 for the pass I guarantee they will lose a considerable chunk of Hunter regulars.
Why the talk about them not offering a Hunter only pass? Has there ever been example of a mountain not having a season pass?

yeggous

Why the talk about them not offering a Hunter only pass? Has there ever been example of a mountain not having a season pass?

Sure, if you mean there are mountains that offer only one pass option which also bundle in several other mountains. In this case, there is no cheaper option that includes only that one mountain. All of their holdings in New England except for Crotched match this condition.

abc

All of their holdings in New England except for Crotched match this condition.
I'm not sure I understand.

Mount Snow pass don't include any other mountain (except the new comer of Hunter during early season). All the other mountains are just discounts.

The NY trio (Bell/Gore/WF) are more like a multi-mountain pass without a single mountain alternative (something like $20 cheaper for the single mountain option). Except if I recall, the price for the trio were about the same as the single mountain THE YEAR BEFORE.

More specifically, did PEAK raise pass cost significantly in their past acquisitions?

deadheadskier

Staff member
In NH, the only mountain you can buy a stand alone pass for is Crotched. If you want a pass to Wildcat or Attitash you have to buy the Granite pass, which includes all three mountains.

Regarding their price structure; I think the Granite pass is actually cheaper than the standalone pass price for Wildcat prior to acquisition. I want to say that used to cost around $700. I paid $660 for my full Granite pass this year. Attitash was super cheap on the ASC deal prior to acquisition.

Brad J

;)
If Black cat is "Gondiline " PLease Please TTB Snowmaking SOOOOOOON!!!! It would change the way the mt ski's IMO

Smellytele

In NH, the only mountain you can buy a stand alone pass for is Crotched. If you want a pass to Wildcat or Attitash you have to buy the Granite pass, which includes all three mountains.

Regarding their price structure; I think the Granite pass is actually cheaper than the standalone pass price for Wildcat prior to acquisition. I want to say that used to cost around $700. I paid $660 for my full Granite pass this year. Attitash was super cheap on the ASC deal prior to acquisition.

I am leaning toward the Granite pass once my wife stops running the ski school program for our town and my free Pat's Peak passes go away. That way I can ski the Crotch as my local hill (20 min from my house) and head north to wildcat (2:20 from my house) when I want to ski a big hill and attitash when I want to mix it up a little.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's a great value. I make it to Crotch in about 1:20 and Wildcat 2:10. Haven't been to Attitash this year.

VTKilarney

Why doesn't Wildcat get more love? It's one of my favorite mountains. At $660, the Granite Pass is a heck of a deal.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pain in the ass to get to for most people. Can have tough weather conditions. Many people prefer a larger ski area if they're traveling a distance.

And as time marches on the more I personally enjoy the skiing experience there more than just about anywhere. The lack of crowds, laid back people, great character trails, awesome lift, fun off map trees that seem to gradually get better and better.

JimG.

Staff member

The PEAK regulars have spoken.

It does not mean there will not be a Hunter only pass; but they seem to like to bundle mountains.

I am interested to see how this plays out when next year's pass programs are announced.

JimG.

Staff member
Why doesn't Wildcat get more love? It's one of my favorite mountains. At $660, the Granite Pass is a heck of a deal.

Wildcat is my favorite NH mountain by far. It is the only mountain on the PEAKS all access pass I would be excited to ski.

It is also about 5-5.5 hours from my house. Just too far for regular weekend visits. I would need my own place to stay to make it enjoyable. My wife and I have discussed the Whites as a place we would like to retire. But that isn't for another 5 years or so.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Retiring in the Whites sounds like a great plan Jim!

(then I'll have a place to stay up there) :lol:

VTKilarney

Pain in the ass to get to for most people. Can have tough weather conditions. Many people prefer a larger ski area if they're traveling a distance.

And as time marches on the more I personally enjoy the skiing experience there more than just about anywhere. The lack of crowds, laid back people, great character trails, awesome lift, fun off map trees that seem to gradually get better and better.

Their quad is one of the absolute best lifts in New England as far as terrain is concerned.