• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When is the last day for snowmaking

slatham

At Bromley right now. 8 degrees at 2400' some wind but not crazy and mostly up top. Skied for two hours no issue just have to be properly dressed. Sun helps. Heading back out for more! The snow is really really good - best of the year other than the couple days with powder. Go get it!

slatham

And on subject, while they are not making snow today it is obvious they have been busy this week. Will try to find out plan but since they have all snowmaking trails open I would assume not much more unless a recovery situation comes up. Hopefully we are in a better pattern. This weeks storm will be telling.

JDMRoma

Cannon is aggressive ! Front 5 lit up all day. Must be a couple feet on Avalanche !!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

Web cam shows Sugarbush LP making snow in base area - looks like Coffee Run and around to Valley House. Likely base building for spring as that is the area they keep open as late as possible. My guess is that other than that they are done - in other words they don't resurface after a thaw.

benski

Web cam shows Sugarbush LP making snow in base area - looks like Coffee Run and around to Valley House. Likely base building for spring as that is the area they keep open as late as possible. My guess is that other than that they are done - in other words they don't resurface after a thaw.

You are correct though. They are focusing on spring skiing trails. They also got over a foot this week.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

steamboat1

You are correct though. They are focusing on spring skiing trails. They also got over a foot this week.

Win Smith wrote on 2/12:

"Making snow on Murphy's this afternoon and tonight and also Stein's and lower Spring Fling. After that we will get the rest of Snowball and Spring Fling and Coffee Run to prepare for spring skiing and then we are likely done".

drjeff

Mount Snow moved some fan guns into a staging area at the bottom of middle exhibition last night - not sure if that means that they'll set them up and use them or not.... We'll see

Also coming home from a friends house last night we passed by The Hermitage Club and they had some of their fanguns running in the -11 degree air that the thermometer in was car was saying it was out

Jully

Sugarloaf is saying snowmakers might return Wednesday for some resurfacing. However, I'm worried they are done after that.

Newpylong

Those ones on skiers right of the lower headwall were added a bunch of years ago to help combat the "S" that typically forms in the lower headwall and causes them to have to push a bunch of snow from other areas into the S to keep late season going.

As a self proclaimed "snowmaking geek" I can't wait to see what K likely installs along SS this summer to help ensure that as long as mother nature is remotely cooperative that the weekend before Thanksgiving this year that the FIS course officials will declare that SS is worldcup race ready!!

My hunch is a second set of LARGE diameter water and air lines gets installed along SS or the water line along SS gets dramatically increased in diameter and turrets installed at an even closure distance than they are now!!! :fangun: :snow:

I don't think they will do anything - they already can make snow top to bottom on Superstar using any and all of the equipment in their arsenal - including the K3000s which can take up to 400 cfm each. With 8" air and water lines there already capacity is not an issue.

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

What you may see, is some additional electric hookups run the entire length of SS to facilitate some high capacity fan guns. Then again, as Newpylong stated, they may not do anything. Under idea conditions, they should be able to get it done. If it is like this year, then they won't regardless of any air/water, electric upgrades.

steamboat1

Not sure how many outlets they added this year on lower Supe but I have seen 4 fan guns going at the same time this year. 3 portables & the fixed one at the bottom.

MEtoVTSkier

Really? Can anyone confirm that? That's a sh!tload of air.

The efficiency gains were, in many cases, eye-opening. Killington, for example, bought 303 Snow Logic Dual Vector 4 tower and sled guns, set to run at 8 cfm using the nozzle configuration Killington chose. The resort also purchased 36 Techno Alpin Evo towers with an air flow of 20 cfm. Those guns replaced in-house K3000 guns operating at 400 cfm in optimal conditions.

http://www.saminfo.com/article/vermonts-great-snow-gun-round

machski

What you may see, is some additional electric hookups run the entire length of SS to facilitate some high capacity fan guns. Then again, as Newpylong stated, they may not do anything. Under idea conditions, they should be able to get it done. If it is like this year, then they won't regardless of any air/water, electric upgrades.

Doubtful. What they will add will be behind the scenes (IE, since warm weather air is the retriction, I would think they would add compressors to their normal rental line up they used this season and last to ensure they have the air horsepower to blow SS and any other trail needed for athlete training for the races and typical terrain they usually open).

steamboat1

Doubtful. What they will add will be behind the scenes (IE, since warm weather air is the retriction, I would think they would add compressors to their normal rental line up they used this season and last to ensure they have the air horsepower to blow SS and any other trail needed for athlete training for the races and typical terrain they usually open).

I think they cut down on rental compressors by 8 last year & this. 4 at Snowshed & 4 at Bear. They used to rent a dozen at each area this year only 8.

machski

I think they cut down on rental compressors by 8 last year & this. 4 at Snowshed & 4 at Bear. They used to rent a dozen at each area this year only 8.

I would expect (and I believe Mike S basically said as much in the presser and on K-zone annoucements) that they would increase that number at least through the races.