• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Worst Drivers

wa-loaf

We must be close by. I'm doing a house in Concord at the moment. Rough drive from 128. Couple it all with the infrastructure meltdown of 128 through Newton.. Oi

I'm just off of 495 and commute to Cambridge (alewife area).

prsboogie

I think most annoying actions by out-of-state drivers can be attributed to a lack of familiarity with the area rather than some general driver character trait. That being said, I think most drivers are awful everywhere, and frequently include myself in that assessment.

I can almost forget the unfamiliarity thing but, damn, ready a fraking sign, they don't spring them on you a second before the ramp.

Abominable

I find that, although there are a-hole drivers around the Northeast, for the most part you have educated and motivated professionals that are trying to get somewhere. So even if they drive like a prick, at least they are moving with a purpose, and you can kind of anticipate them.

Once you get south of Baltimore you come across some real clueless and unsafe people. Around DC is the worst; just no concept of the traffic around them.

One thing I've noticed since moving to the NYC suburbs (Westchester County) is everyone is going too fast on residential roads. I've had people honk at me in town (25 mph) just 'cause it can take a couple seconds to find second gear on my truck! Seriously, who honks in a nice quiet suburb like that, on a Saturday morning? Pricks.

Also, in rural places up like up in Maine the drivers are usually very good. Stay right except to pass, use turn signals, give farm equipment a wide berth and don't pass in sketchy areas.

Funky_Catskills

I swore about 75% of my drive from Bridgeport CT to Stamford CT this morning because of a-hole drivers on the Merritt...

Bene288

Do CT drivers drive with their high beams on at all times? Seems to be a common occurrence here in the Democratic People's Republic of Boston Metro..

Warp Daddy

Yup, it is. Would love to live there but no jobs. Left in '89.

C'mon home Puckie boy , you already stashed enough coin to live like a king up here in God's country , hell u can make a shit ton on selling ur house , buy a great place up here and invest the rest . Our new hospital CEO id that moved from Sudbury bought Doc Brandy's beautiful old seriously updated mansion for a song , sumbitch has an indoor Olympic sized pool in it ,

git yer ass back here and play with the rest of us riverats :dunce:

snoseek

Every spring when i drive cross country and enter say albany ny to the mass pike its a huge difference than the rest of the country. It takes me a few weeks to adjust.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

darent

my commute is 10 minutes, I can go 25mph and not get honked at or I can drive like a masshole and nobody honks,I don't envy any of you commuters, a lot of crazy drivers out there!!

Glenn

We spend a lot of time on the highway shuttling back and forth to VT. I'm amazed at the people who are just no paying attention. It scares the hell out of me to see oblivious people in "control" of a multi ton wheeled vehicle hurtling down the highway. It doesn't take much to spot the clown on the phone or texting/websurfing/twitter/facebook ect. They'll usually be parked in the left line, going slower than traffic in the right lane, making slight adjustments to stay in their lane and totally clueless to the line of traffic behind them.

I love vehicles; I have since I can remember. I also enjoy driving. But I have to say, I'm looking forward to a day when the machines take over the task. I'm sure it will be a lot safer than what we have now. At least these clowns can now focus on their phone since the machine will be doing the driving.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
My latest pet peeve is that after passing most drivers pull back in front of me without nearly enough comfort room. When you're cruising along at 70 mph there should be several car lengths between cars. A lot of folks are pulling back into my lane with only a single car length or sometimes less. They are pulling back without even looking. These from any state you care to pick - NY CT VT MA NH ME - doesn't matter.

A long standing aggravation is the exit off I91N to I84E. It's bad enough that some overeducated morons designed this disaster with only one lane. What makes it worse are the @$$e$ that crawl along the center lane looking to cut the mile long queue. In some cases the line starts before there's any indication that the exit is coming up so many are cut off guard and end up crawling down the center lane while still others are taking up the far left lane trying to get around everybody else so they can cut them all off right at the exit. Again it doesn't matter what state anyone is from.

Thankfully living in Central NH I don't have to deal with either of these much.

delco714

Bangor Maine where people go under the 15mph limits, stop at green lights, and wait for you and turn right in front of you when no one is behind you. Plenty of bs driving antics and going through red lights. For a snowy winter location, people sure drive like Crap in the snow

Also a yield sign might as well never exist here. North and west of bangor is just fine

ctenidae

Generally, the worst drivers are Subaru drivers, as a class. Followed by Rav4 drivers. Subarus with Vermont plates (regardless of the driver's gender, creed, or sexual orientation) are the worst, no matter where they are driving (very loosely defined).

In the greater Fairfield County, Connecticut region, white Mercedes SUVs, followed closely by black Cadillac Escalades (with a fine gradation based on size of wheels, tint of windows, and number and type of school bumper stickers), followed by silver Mercedes SUVs.

Range Rover drivers are bad, but predictably so, so not so bad to deal with. Beater Hondas with multi-colored body panels and large mufflers are also predictable, but in a really bad way, as no one ever seems to predict them (fast run in a straight line right up behind a car, hard brakes, putter at traffic speed for a minute, then suddenly change lanes and zoom again, Rinse, repeat).

Worst driver ever is a guy who I sometimes get behind driving through Bruce Park n Greenwich. He goes 25mph, rides the brakes all the way through every curve, and doesn't seem to understand that the sign saying "Stop for pedestrians in crosswalk" means that IF there is a pedestrian, you should stop, not that you should stop first. Sadly, all of that is fairly common here. What makes him the worst is that he drives a bright red Ferrari California.

SkiFanE

I live at Rt 128/3 outside Boston. Most beautiful thing about my commute is I have 3-4 good options (93, 2, pike ($) or back roads to Rt 16 to 93). Of course they could all suck - but I check map app before leaving to or from work every day. Usually Rt 2 on way in and 93 north out of town. Storrow drive I could whip through with my eyes closed (until I come upon a VT Subie driver). Fucking NH folks clog up 93 south by 6a every day, it's nuts. Why don't they just move back to MA - they have to pay income tax anyway. If it weren't for them i'd have a much easier commute every day. Glad they have to pay MA taxes - hope MA add s toll coming into MA, long overdue.

Next October my my office is moving to Sullivan sq off 93. Should make life a little easier - now I work off Harrison ave in So end. I'm adjusted to my commute - need this job and work at home 1-2 days/week. I do enjoy my work 'hood and getting out of burbs to be urban during the day lol. Heading out for a nice walk through the south end - as long as I can dodge the dog poop and spit, it's quite nice lol.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Cost of real estate is the reason why most I know stay in NH. And let's be real, it's the same commute time from Nashua area as it is numerous 495 towns west of the city. Live in NH you get easier access to skiing, the lakes and numerous outdoor activities. Live in Westboro and you're paying double the price on a house, that's basically convenient to Worcester. I grew up and still have family there. My price to move back there would be very high.