• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Worst Drivers

SkiFanE

Generally, the worst drivers are Subaru drivers, as a class. Followed by Rav4 drivers. Subarus with Vermont plates (regardless of the driver's gender, creed, or sexual orientation) are the worst, no matter where they are driving (very loosely defined).

In the greater Fairfield County, Connecticut region, white Mercedes SUVs, followed closely by black Cadillac Escalades (with a fine gradation based on size of wheels, tint of windows, and number and type of school bumper stickers), followed by silver Mercedes SUVs.

Range Rover drivers are bad, but predictably so, so not so bad to deal with. Beater Hondas with multi-colored body panels and large mufflers are also predictable, but in a really bad way, as no one ever seems to predict them (fast run in a straight line right up behind a car, hard brakes, putter at traffic speed for a minute, then suddenly change lanes and zoom again, Rinse, repeat).

Worst driver ever is a guy who I sometimes get behind driving through Bruce Park n Greenwich. He goes 25mph, rides the brakes all the way through every curve, and doesn't seem to understand that the sign saying "Stop for pedestrians in crosswalk" means that IF there is a pedestrian, you should stop, not that you should stop first. Sadly, all of that is fairly common here. What makes him the worst is that he drives a bright red Ferrari California.

it always used to be Volvos, Saabs and Subarus. Not as many Volvo wagons or Saabs around any more, but CR-Vs and Prius's filled in. Just had a left lane Prius clog this AM - luckily I got past him. But worst driver of day went to guy with Trump bumper stickers and signs all over his car. First person I've ever met that would admit to being such a loser - I kept staring at him - as if he was in a specimen in zoo lol. White male in dress clothes, gray balding hair, glasses and a CR-V - yup - seems to fit the stereotype lol. Wonder if his car is one piece when he gets to it after work today lmao. Methinks Ernie Boch sales are going to tumble soon - I know I will never step on one of his lots again after showing what type of person he supports. Idiot businessman!

SkiFanE

Cost of real estate is the reason why most I know stay in NH. And let's be real, it's the same commute time from Nashua area as it is numerous 495 towns west of the city. Live in NH you get easier access to skiing, the lakes and numerous outdoor activities. Live in Westboro and you're paying double the price on a house, that's basically convenient to Worcester. I grew up and still have family there. My price to move back there would be very high.

I'd never move to Westboro - not into 495 area at all. I live 1 mile from 128 - would prefer to be inside it. Im fortunate as we bought our 1st house in 1993 when market was at absolute bottom after 1987 crash. Those that bought in 1996 did not do as well as we did. timing makes a huge difference. But...when you add in MA taxes, high NH property taxes, fees on everything and commuting costs - you're not doing much better. If you like rural life that's different - but everyone I know that moved to NH did it be they thought it was a better deal. My house is worth a lot but not that nice lol. Lots of ways I could get a beautiful McMansion - but then I'd have to switch towns - location location location has served us well in the RE market

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've done comparison on property taxes and the lower valuation of NH houses offsets the higher mill rates.

Extra 30 minute drive to work seems worth it to me for twice the house and lot while paying same taxes. Throw in not having to deal with the rat race that still exists down there on the weekends and I'm staying put where I am on the NH sea coast.

bigbog

My latest pet peeve is that after passing most drivers pull back in front of me without nearly enough comfort room. When you're cruising along at 70 mph there should be several car lengths between cars. A lot of folks are pulling back into my lane with only a single car length or sometimes less. They are pulling back without even looking. These from any state you care to pick - NY CT VT MA NH ME - doesn't matter............

+1
...On highways..especially I-95, above Old Town is 75. I see so many that feel they're on the NASCAR circuit(in their own minds). Have seen 4 to 5 cars and all but the lead car are drafting...~@80-90.
All that concerns their minds is the way the vehicles accellerate....absolutely not a care to the wind..as to how far it takes the vehicles to avoid things.. Most all are either in their late teens, 20s..or early 30s = no knowledge of how quickly & easily one can get into a skid @that speed.

Last edited:

SkiFanE

I've done comparison on property taxes and the lower valuation of NH houses offsets the higher mill rates.

Extra 30 minute drive to work seems worth it to me for twice the house and lot while paying same taxes. Throw in not having to deal with the rat race that still exists down there on the weekends and I'm staying put where I am on the NH sea coast.
An hour extra a day? Yikes. My commute is already 45-60 each way (15 miles), add more to that? No way. I'd just find a job up there. I do like Portsmouth. There's no weekend rat race here. My 'hood is attached to land with great mt bike trails and we escape to Maine most weekends in summer too - so I guess I don't feel stressed. Although my dream is to get a small place on the T close to Boston as soon as kids our out of school. We are spoiled by our schools and the reason we stay here, and the privacy and quiet. I guess I need to think about smaller and tighter - I kinda like a little space and would it be tough to have shared walls? Hmmmmm lol...