• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Radar Detectors

CoolMike

Mr. Heisenberg got pulled over by a cop. The cop asked, "Do you know how fast you were going?" Heisenberg says, "No, but I can tell you exactly where I am."

gmcunni

Waze speed limit seems to be state by state at the moment. Works consistently in CT but does not show u for NY or MA Not sure if this is a technical or Legal issue. ??

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1462537142.960693.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1462537158.397175.jpg

yeggous

Waze speed limit seems to be state by state at the moment. Works consistently in CT but does not show u for NY or MA Not sure if this is a technical or Legal issue. ??

View attachment 20131
View attachment 20132

Technical. Google does not yet have speed limit data. They're still working on collecting it. You'll need to use a different map provider.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

wa-loaf

Noticed it for the first time when I was in RI a week or so ago.

steamboat1

Hyundai has the speed limits for the road you're on posted right on the gps display. At least the one I rode up to VT. in last week did. It changed in towns & other slow speed zones too. Worked in NJ., NY., VT.

Last edited:

yeggous

Hyundai has the speed limits for the road you're on posted right on the gps display. At least the one I rode up to VT. in last week did. It changed in towns & other slow speed zones too. Worked in NJ., NY., VT.

Yes, and the maps in the Hyundai system come from a map vendor. There are two of them that have the necessary data.

gmcunni

Technical. Google does not yet have speed limit data. They're still working on collecting it. You'll need to use a different map provider.

Yes, and the maps in the Hyundai system come from a map vendor. There are two of them that have the necessary data.

i don't understand your words. Waze(owned by google) has speed limit data for CT and apparently RI. i assume other states too.

regardless, i don't rely on my GPS for that info. not like Waze will pay my speeding ticket... tho i anticipate many of those lawsuits coming (if not already in courts)

Hawkshot99

waze says their data is user supplied.. who has time for that!

The data of traffic flow, police on side of road, and other ever changing stuff is.
I doubt speed limits are iser supplied. 90% of roads I drive on my TomTom and Garmin GPS' s tell me the speed limit. These devises do not allow user supplied info, except that they track how fast cars are moving to show where traffic jams are.

yeggous

The data of traffic flow, police on side of road, and other ever changing stuff is.
I doubt speed limits are iser supplied. 90% of roads I drive on my TomTom and Garmin GPS' s tell me the speed limit. These devises do not allow user supplied info, except that they track how fast cars are moving to show where traffic jams are.

The commercial GPS units use mapping data collected with the automotive navigation market in mind. Google focuses on mobile advertising. Their entire map platform was built to make them more effective at selling target advertising. That is why they never previously collected speed limits. They do have very accurate drive times because they have a much larger data volume of actual road speeds from tracking all the Android phones.

gmcunni

agreed and as a waze user i contribute that info. they make it easy with either a hand wave or quick tap of the screen followed by simple voice commands. but haven't seen an easy way to contribute map edits or speed limits. map editing seemed like a burden the 1 time i tried.

Funky_Catskills

Crowd sourcing is as accurate as it is wrong..
But I find WAZE mostly correct.. And I support and add to the crowd sourcing...

BenedictGomez

I experimented with Waze (in concert with my radar detector) on a long trip from FL to NJ back in January.

I think most folks already realize this, but the results were that Waze was completely and wholly insufficient to use in lieu of a radar detector. Better suited for things like traffic accidents & info, but even then, I find the green, yellow, red GOOG traffic lines to be sufficient.