• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How were conditions this past weekend after R@!n?

dlague

I was curious how well different ski areas made out after getting so wet? We skied at Bretton Woods and Cannon and BW did pretty well, cannon needs some snow either MM or real, IMO.

Was trying to get a pulse across the board at places like Stowe, Killington, Okemo, Burke or others in VT since the rest of the season is focused on VT and Cannon for the most part.

WJenness

Posted this in another thread:

Went to Attitash / WC yesterday... ($39, Thanks Liftopia!)

Arrived at Attitash at 8:35 / 8:40, great parking spot...

Morning at Attitash was pretty good, lots of good snow, decent amount of trails open, Checked out Bear, much icier on that side, though Wandering Skis was pretty nice the whole way down... Went back over to Attitash and thought it was skied off...

Then I went over to Wildcat (because why not? tickets are good at both places) and skied a few runs off the summit chair and THAT showed me what skied off really was... The top half of the mountain was pretty tough sledding everywhere I tried. Edges were decent, but even there, not great. Took a couple of runs off the lower chairs that were running (snow much better there), and then called it a day after racking up >22k in vert.

Both areas were basically ski on all day. I think my longest wait was 3 or 4 chairs.

Home in time for kickoff.

-w

SIKSKIER

The bottom line at most areas will be the same.Get out there at first bell and the groomers will be good.After 3 hours of traffic everything except newly manmade trails will be scraped down in the usual areas.Dont be the knucklehead that shows up at 11 and says "it really sucked out there".

cdskier

The bottom line at most areas will be the same.Get out there at first bell and the groomers will be good.After 3 hours of traffic everything except newly manmade trails will be scraped down in the usual areas.Dont be the knucklehead that shows up at 11 and says "it really sucked out there".

That sums up Sugarbush this weekend pretty well. I had a fantastic first run down a freshly winched Stein's at 8am on Sunday. Sharp edges were key all weekend though after the first couple hours.

dlague

That is pretty obvious. But I can easily say that BW was really good all day on Saturday. I also hear that Ragged softened up nicely on Sunday, But I think it would be nice to hear non global statements from those who were at a specific mountain. SIKSKIER - you were at Cannon right? I know people that arrived at 8:30 that left by 9:30 on Sunday.

hammer

Know a lot of people here don't go to Loon much but any reports from there would be appreciated...planning on going on Thursday. Guessing it will be groomed hardpack.

WWF-VT

That sums up Sugarbush this weekend pretty well. I had a fantastic first run down a freshly winched Stein's at 8am on Sunday. Sharp edges were key all weekend though after the first couple hours.

I was at Mt Ellen on Saturday and Sunday. Natural snow trails are all done until we get significant snowfall. It's depressing to see the damage from the warm up and rain. Groomers were OK and held up due to low traffic. Sunday was a ghost town by 11 AM.

nkLottery

Went to Stratton Saturday + Sunday first time this season with a bigger group of friends. Saturday was extremely hard packed with showing ice throughout the day. Early Sunday for some reason things got far softer, maybe they groomed more maybe there was a dusting toward the top.

Rode the lift with a bunch of folks who had multiple anecdotes about just how much Killington sucked on Friday and Saturday. They said they opted for Stratton b/c of how icy Killington was. Just their take on the whole thing. I would have liked to have been at Jay myself

cdskier

I was at Mt Ellen on Saturday and Sunday. Natural snow trails are all done until we get significant snowfall. It's depressing to see the damage from the warm up and rain. Groomers were OK and held up due to low traffic. Sunday was a ghost town by 11 AM.

I stayed at LP since Slidebrook isn't running and LP had minimal crowds anyway. I was quite sad as well to see how much of a hit the natural trails took. I left early Sunday to be home for the Super Bowl, so I was one of those people that made it look like a ghost town by 11. I had a feeling it would be pretty empty this weekend when I woke up Saturday morning and saw 30% or so of my condo parking lot still empty.

chuckstah

Know a lot of people here don't go to Loon much but any reports from there would be appreciated...planning on going on Thursday. Guessing it will be groomed hardpack.

I may ski Loon tomorrow. If it happens I'll try to post a quick report or at least conditions. It was nice spring conditions last Thursday but that ship has obviously sailed. Hoping they get a piece of today's storm.

yeggous

Wildcat on Sunday was bullet proof and skied off on the Catapult side. Lynx and Polecat were beautiful.

mbedle

Skied at Stowe all last week and this past weekend. Both Saturday and Sunday were good early morning (7:30 to 10:00). After that, most trails were skied off and pretty hard. Some of the steeper trails were brutal blue ice. The trails that they were making snow on were by far the best.

VTKilarney

That is pretty obvious. But I can easily say that BW was really good all day on Saturday. I also hear that Ragged softened up nicely on Sunday, But I think it would be nice to hear non global statements from those who were at a specific mountain. SIKSKIER - you were at Cannon right? I know people that arrived at 8:30 that left by 9:30 on Sunday.

Less steep terrain holds snow much better. BW has a real advantage there.

xlr8r

Was there Sunday, lots of loose granular over very hard hardpack. They made snow recently on Flume, Walking Boss, Flying Fox, Picked Rock and Bear Claw. Sun never came out until 3pm so it stayed as sugary granular throughout the day. Twitcher was the one trail that was very thin, I do not recommend going down it unless they get a good amount of new snow on it natural or man made. So it was good early, but never great. Later in the day you just had to watch where you made your turns. No crowds because of the Superbowl, not often you see that at Loon

ski&soccermom

Surprisingly good given the weather. I skied Mount Snow Saturday and Stratton on Sunday. Stratton was icy on Friday according to my daughter (I didn't ski), but really pretty good all around on Sunday. Mount Snow was also good on Saturday, but we had to ski under the snow guns on a few trails. Both mountains got skied off a bit by midday (I like to get out early and call it a day though, so that was fine!). Really, given this weather though, I think it is very impressive what the mountains have done to salvage this winter!!

Brad J

SKI TUNING is a must for any enjoyment in these conditions, sure glad the shop I go to has a new tuning machine that gives a incredible edge.

dlague

Stop wondering and get out there! Get out there early before it gets scraped off. Get out there before the season is over!

I am not worried at all we get out every Saturday and Sunday and sometimes during the week. It is good to get Intel on best conditions. I appreciate what people have posted so far. I NH the new snow will help plus the snow making weather will help.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

medfordmike

Skied Pico Friday afternoon and Saturday. Friday the lower mountain quad terrain was ok but it was sad to see how much snow had gone from the previous weekend. Summit runs were just not fun and I have low standards. But by Saturday they had recovered a few more runs including KA from the summit and continued to make snow all day to recover the best they can. They are making progress even with their limited abilities to make snow and it showed. I almost didn't go Saturday and I am really glad I went. A big difference even if only on limited terrain. Their Ops guys deserve credit for doing all they can this season. Its my home mountain so I am biased but given the weather I can't complain with what they have done.