• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon 2/8/15

medfordmike

With bad weather forecasted my employer called a snow day early Monday. Since the weather in the morning for the drive up to Cannon looked ok I headed for the mountain. I skied 9 - 2 PM under cloudy skies and 25 degrees with very little wind. Cannon is a favorite of mine but given the late opening of my home mountain and generally poor conditions I have been trying to use my season pass or the vouchers associated with it before straying too far.

Cannon has been saying on their conditions report that they are aggressively continuing to make snow and that was the case. Guns were on Profile, Tramway, and Upper Cannon along with a few others in high traffic places all day. Upper Cannon and Tramway definitely showed the damage from the warm up but were skiable with some ice patches. Upper Ravine was like there had never been a warm up at all. All morning it skied great and was tied with Profile for ROTD. With the guns on Profile all day the bumps and snow were great. The guns were putting out snow and no water when I lapped the trail a few times before lunch. No goggle freeze made a run that I like, but don't give too much thought normally, one of the best on the mountain today.

The Front area was firm and fast but all things considered not bad. When they turn their attention to snowmaking down there it should be really nice. The connecting trail to the tram is getting really thin and needs some attention. Today was my first experience on the "improved" Barons. I understand why folks are not happy, my feelings are mixed but the deed is done now and I have to admit if you want to open it up this is a great trail to do it on. I enjoyed it a lot more than I would have thought. Overall a great day even with the lack of natural terrain that nothing can be done about.

Guns were firing when I arrived and all day.
IMG_0813.jpg

Looking down "new" Barons.
IMG_0815.jpg