• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunlight 2.7.2016 - The Magic Mtn of the West??

skiNEwhere

Date: February 7th, 2016

Resort:
Sunlight Mountain Resort (Near Glenwood Springs, CO)

Conditions/Weather:
Powder/Packed Powder. Temps in the 20's

Trip No: 26

Report:

Sunlight is a relatively small ski area about 2 hours, 15-30 minutes from Denver. Just as most casual skiers in the Boston metro have not heard of Magic, most front rangers haven't heard of Sunlight. First off, I must confess that I've never been to Magic. But I've read enough trip reports on here about it that I feel like skied there vicariously though other AZ'ers.

While considered small compared to its big brothers, it actually has over 2,000 ft of vertical and 680 acres of terrain. The layout seems similar to magic with wide sweeping trails at the top which feed the rest of the mountain.

attachment.php

I've been waiting for the conditions to be right before coming here. Since their trail report read as 100% open, I decided to cut the Aspen trip a day short.

I arrived at 8:40 and snagged the second closest spot to the stairs, which were less than 100 yards from the lift.

Lift ticket was $60 for a normal day, but today it was $40 if you wore Broncos attire.

I've heard so much about "the heathens" trail on the east ridge portion of the mtn, so I decided to check it out. Yea, I guess the top of it is about 52 degrees (as they claim) but it's literally only sustained for about 10 feet. But that whole portion of the mtn has some pretty sweet terrain. Tight trees, narrow gullies, and optional rocks to jump off of if you were so inclined.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I did 5-6 or runs in the east ridge area (bottom left hand side of trail map), trying to ski a different line each time. The traverse out of this area is a little flat, but has enough pitch to where to minimal poling is required. On a pow day though, you may want to consider letting a few other people break ground first so that they can flatten out the snow in the run out since a lot of poling is probably required.

attachment.php

I lapped the Segundo chair a few times (Chairlift which goes from the base to halfway up the mountain), and skied Cassanova glade which is a nice low angle tree run with moderated spaced trees (mostly Aspens). I also went skiers left of the Segundo chair, which has some pretty tight trees with a little bit steeper pitch.

After lunch, I stopped by ski patrol to ask about which glades were skiing well, and they were kind enough to reveal a couple unmarked stashed, and help me fix my GoPro mount with guerilla tape. Special thanks to Jack for pointing me in the right direction!

attachment.php

Overall, this is a awesome little mountain that is worth checking out. As far as the negatives, I really can't come up with any. Yea the lifts were slow, but there are always trade offs. The lifts are ancient artifacts from another time when center pole doubles with no safety bars were considered the norm, but I'd much rather have this place keep its small, friendly vibe than turn into a mega resort were you need to throw elbows to compete for pow stashes. The greens at the top which you have to take to get to the east ridge are a little flat and require poling, but I don't think that's a really big takeaway.

Next time you are skiing Aspen, or are in the area, you owe it to yourself to check this place out, you won't be disappointed. I would spend a night in glenwood springs as well, this is cool little ski town (at least I think it's a ski town). I've never been to the world famous hot springs there, (the largest hot springs pool in the world), but I've heard great things about it and according to the guys on pugski you can get a ski and stay for $100-$150 a night.

Attachments

• Sunlight.jpg
    Sunlight.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 302
  • east ridge.jpeg
    east ridge.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 294
  • heathen2.jpeg
    heathen2.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 296
  • heathens.jpeg
    heathens.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 290
  • patrol.jpeg
    patrol.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 288

skiNEwhere

Bottom of deception IIRC
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1455062708.952219.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1455062743.524533.jpg

How does one enter the bar here? I'm guessing this is usually to filter out the drunk?
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1455062794.678650.jpg

Frozen in time: Where does one buy said Pontiac?
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1455062806.551451.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1455062831.219425.jpg

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

Gah! The website just completely shit the bed and was inaccessible for 5 minutes. Looks like it's back now.

Mandatory video!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Jealous

Far better skiing experience than probably anyone has had in the East this year.

WoodCore

Excellent report! Love that center pole Riblet!!

skiNEwhere

In the same day? Would have to fly private out of Bennington to Aspen or EGE. Perhaps possible but very expensive.
Why would you want to do that??

Yes, in the same day. That's exactly what I meant.

dlague

We have 2 for 1's on our Gem cards for Sunlight! May consider it!

We got our Gem Cards in the mail yesterday and it offers 2 for 1 at the following

Arapahoe Basin
Eldora
Loveland
Monarch Mountain
Powderhorn
Ski Cooper
Ski Granby Ranch
Sunlight

We plan on skiing three of them at this time A Basin, Loveland and Cooper but there may be others in that list that are better than Cooper.

jimk

Cooper's pretty mellow. Eldora, Monarch and Sunlight all offer more advanced terrain. But depending on where you're based Cooper could be worth a visit. It's got history and soul being near 10th Mtn Division's WWII training grounds.

AND it's got Bush Mogul Master.

Last edited:

dlague

Cooper's pretty mellow. Eldora, Monarch and Sunlight all offer more advanced terrain. But depending on where you're based Cooper could be worth a visit. It's got history and soul being near 10th Mtn Division's WWII training grounds.

AND it's got Bush Mogul Master.

Staying in Dillon which is pretty central to a lot!

snoseek

I got a few days in there. Two of the three were over two feet new. Sloooow lifts but such a fucking awesome mtn.

Also powderhorn is legit when it gets the right flow...trees are some of the best around imo. They put in a new hsq this year but my local gj people say its still sleepy.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

abc

Staying in Dillon which is pretty central to a lot!
Kind of defeats the purpose of a cheap trip though. Lodging at Dillon is not cheap. I usually stay in Georgetown instead. Even better access to Loveland and A-Basin.

Granted, there's no night life to speak of.

dlague

Kind of defeats the purpose of a cheap trip though. Lodging at Dillon is not cheap. I usually stay in Georgetown instead. Even better access to Loveland and A-Basin.

Granted, there's no night life to speak of.

Not expensive at all $822 for the week for 5 of us to stay! Georgetown places we found were in dumpy looking areas. Able to see with Google Street View.

The town areas of Dillon and SilverThorne are very central to any direction not just Loveland.

The closest ski areas but many more within easy driving distance.

Keystone - 8 miles
Arapahoe Basin - 12 miles
Copper Mountain Resort - 13 miles
Loveland - 13 miles

SkiLocation.jpg

4aprice

^ Don't Forget (You might know this already) that Independence Pass is closed in winter. I know you were talking about Aspen in some form and to get there you will have to go via Glenwood Springs and that's a haul from Dillon.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

^ Don't Forget (You might know this already) that Independence Pass is closed in winter. I know you were talking about Aspen in some form and to get there you will have to go via Glenwood Springs and that's a haul from Dillon.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Yup 2.5 hour drive. Kinda like a Concord NH to Sunday River day trip. I have used Google Maps to get estimated times and expectations. BTW the directions do go through Glenwood Springs.

abc

Georgetown places we found were in dumpy looking areas. Able to see with Google Street View.
Georgetown is dead quiet alright. I wouldn't call it dumpy. Just not lively. There isn't much of a town for eating and going out. But perfectly fine for anyone who's idea of apres ski is sleep. :)

I've stayed there often enough.

The town areas of Dillon and SilverThorne are very central to any direction not just Loveland.
Central to Breck/Keystone and west (Vail/Copper), yes. But for A-basin and Loveland, Georgetown is closer. Also bypass the tunnel which is the major bottleneck.

As a matter of fact, Vail is a pain from Dillon if there's weather. Which is a catch-22, because Vail mostly comes into its own ONLY WHEN there's a storm!