• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon - 02/11/16

hammer

Date(s) Skied: 2/11/2016

Resort or Ski Area: Loon Mountain, NH

Conditions: Manmade Packed Powder, Groomed Hardpack

Trip Report: Took a day off in the week to go to Loon. Was busier than I expected but still not too busy at all. Temps were a bit cold and there were light snow squalls on and off through the day.

Trails we went on were in great shape considering this season's weather. Snowmaking was going on and most trails had nice edgeable manmade and great coverage. There were some firm spots but no real ice to speak of. Conditions should be just fine for those who want to brave the cold this weekend.

Only downside to the day was when the gondola went down around noon...at that point we made our way over to an empty South Peak and got in some runs there. We left at about 2 and the gondola was moving but not carrying anyone.

Personally I don't see the appeal of having a gondola, the lines are long (even on a Thursday) and it's not all that fast.

This was the first time I was able to try out the FTP gloves I purchased. Hands weren't toasty all the time, but the gloves did better than any others I've had in the past. No regrets.