• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/15-2/18. A New Hope or We are Screwed.

chuckstah

That is dynamic cooling in action. It'll start warming as soon as the air saturates.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Inevitable, just hoping for a good snowfall before the bad stuff. Cross country and snowshoeing has been good here for a while, with a respectable base. I'd prefer it doesn't go to a solid ice base in the local woods. Nice winter trek today in the local wildlife refuge.

BenedictGomez

Been outside since 3pm, but now that I'm back inside looking at this, it definitely appears the cold is holding on a bit longer than expected. Incremental positive. Also, to my eye I think it's about 80 miles east of model depiction, which could be good for Whiteface if I'm right.

Rowsdower

Been outside since 3pm, but now that I'm back inside looking at this, it definitely appears the cold is holding on a bit longer than expected. Incremental positive. Also, to my eye I think it's about 80 miles east of model depiction, which could be good for Whiteface if I'm right.

We're getting a ridiculous amount of ice here in PA. Hope we don't lose power.

Looks like a big block of dry air is working its way in as well. Here's to hoping for the best. We were supposed to change over to all rain about four hours ago now...

steamboat1

I have no idea what you're talking about otherwise.

Well I guess you missed the part where MRG opened again with 43 trails & Sugarbush was back to 100% after your powder day at K. No snow just fairy dust & pixels.

Tues-Thurs was good this past week unlike your powder day at K.

Sorry you weekend warriors missed out, really.

And not one of you weather guru's called it.

Why am I not surprised?

I'm blacked out this week.

It'll be good again next week.

By the way we had about 2" in Brooklyn before it changed to rain about 6pm.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

All ice changing to rain now
At 4 am
Route 17 was clear by back roads was normal for the area.
Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Bostonian

Down in the flatlands, I woke to about 2 inches of snow and a thick crust of ice... I am sure further north and west were the same. looking at the ski reports seems there is an inversion at the summits. My concern is later in the afternoon, when a ton of r@!% is predicted...

VTKilarney

A storm Haiku:

Northern Vermont rain
Tuna said no rain today
Tuna wrong third time

JDMRoma

4-6 at cannon this morning before the changeover. Base building of it doesn't get washed away.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

tnt1234

Damn - if it could just take a super hard right hand run and spare N. Vt. too much rain....

Also, Mt. Forecast is claiming some more snow after the rain tonight and half decent snow Fri>Sat. on mansfield and Jay - are we believing them?

Got a make a decision about this weekend shortly. Go for it, or bump - for the third time - one more weekend....

drjeff

just
got off the hill at Mount Snow after a 90 minute session - about 2" of dense new snow with a crust on top, periods of rain on/off now, temps about 40 and a BIG WIND out of the South up top.

Nothing horrible snowpack damage wise yet at least, temps supposed to drop in about 12hrs after a brief spike between now and then.

Not a death blow by any means to the snowpack. By the time I get back on the hill on Saturday after a little drying out of the snowpack and some grooming, the snowmaking trails should be decent

Last edited:

Jully

Sunday River and Sugarloaf both reporting 5" overnight and freezing rain now. Many wind and ice holds.

hammer

Over 15 degree temperature change on the drive down from Nashua NH to Burlington MA...at least 5 of that in a 3-4 mile stretch. Not looking forward to the deluge later this evening.

Guessing this will destroy any manmade packed powder conditions but will it be around long enough to hurt snow cover?