• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cold wet feet!

jimmywilson69

no its sweat, I've investigated snow getting in the boot. Soaked might be a little bit of an exaggeration, but they are "damp" and need to be dried.

I can actually feel my feet being a little damp in my hiking shoes I'm wearing right now. But since they are "breathable" they aren't wet inside.

BenedictGomez

But a couple of years ago my oldest son, who is a big kid with big feet, had outgrown a pair of boots (in 1 season) that were about a size larger than what I usually ski. I decided to give them a try and wear heavier socks. Been skiing like that ever since and haven't had cold feet since. Contrary to what people say - I don't have a problem with my feet moving around in my boot. And I'm no "groomers all day" kind of skier. I hammer my skis/boots = no problem with my feet staying still inside the boot. And even better, now they are warm too.

This all seems strange to me. Defies everything I've ever heard, learned, and personally experienced with ski boots. :dontknow:

goldsbar

Just a word on the Hotronics. If the batteries discharge too much over the summer, they can malfunction and are not cheap to replace.

Scruffy

Not all boots are the same, with respect to the warmth factor. I was just talking to two of my ski buds today, who are both racers with a lot of years of experience skiing. They both recently purchased high end Salomon X Max boots. Both complained that they were the coldest boots they've ever worn, like ice blocks. Other than that they love the boots.

My race boots are definitely colder than my free ride boots. Intuition liners are pretty warm.

prsboogie

Not all boots are the same, with respect to the warmth factor. I was just talking to two of my ski buds today, who are both racers with a lot of years of experience skiing. They both recently purchased high end Salomon X Max boots. Both complained that they were the coldest boots they've ever worn, like ice blocks. Other than that they love the boots.

My race boots are definitely colder than my free ride boots. Intuition liners are pretty warm.

I have the X Pros and I have to say they are the best fitting and warmest boots I've ever owned. I do think the major issues I've had with cold feet were driven by poor fitting boots. I always had numb feet from forefoot pressure which is complete gone with these boots.

I do subscribe to the thin ski sock and over the last year I wear a regular sock and hiker to the hill then change socks after letting them dry out before putting ski socks and boots. Definitely helped with sweaty feet.

deadheadskier

Staff member
But would we find you at a bar stool in the Onset Pub tomorrow right at 11?! Perhaps on acct of cold feet?
Tomorrow/this wknd is the test of your fancy hot tronic gadget!

Warm feet

Warm liver

Attachments

• 1455380579520.jpg
    1455380579520.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 67

1Kathleen

I will be investing in Hot Tronics next year. I ask everyone I see with them whether they work, and they seem to get 100% approval ratings! I'm pretty sure DHS and I discussed at some point as well.

Currently I us the sticky toe warmers and they are ok. I find that the problem is worse at my local hill, because the runs are short and I actually spend more time on the fixed grip lifts than skiing. Last week in Vermont, while not ultra cold, I didn't have the problem because I was pumping enough blood to keep my feet warm.

Woman's input- 1) Gross, 2) if you are going to invest in ski equipment don't wait for next year, nows the time to buy, the sales are incredible as everyone is stuck with a ton of inventory.

Whitey

This all seems strange to me. Defies everything I've ever heard, learned, and personally experienced with ski boots. :dontknow:

I had to experiment with a couple of different styles of socks. There were some that would slip around a bit. But once I found a sock combo that I liked - happy feet for about 5 yrs now. Go back and watch some of my vids that I posted of me skiing bumps/woods/etc - does it look like I am having a problem with my feet swimming around? Maybe I am unique, but I also suspect many people have never really tried it because the conventional wisdom is tight fitting boots & the boot fitters at ski shops are a little too aggressive on "tight fitting" aspect (IMHO) when they size you. Hard call to make as you have to assume that a new boot will break in and form after some usage so theoretically they should be "tight" when you leave the shop and will loosen up.

I suspect this is just another aspect of skiing that is different for each skier depending on preference, style, approach, etc.

fbrissette

Some good advice all around, but at some point there is some predisposition to getting cold feet. Cold feet is my main issue skiing. I've read and tried everything, even consulted with a doctor. I have cold feet, all the time. As a kid, I was always the first one off the outdoor rink and the first one in the ski cafeteria. I'm in good shape, no heart problem, no weight problem. I am never cold anywhere else. My hands never get cold. No blood circulation problems.

This is what I do:

- one pair of socks (Merino based)
- I put the socks last minute just before putting the boots on
- tights boots, 130 flex, minimum buckling strength.
- I wear hotronics as soon as it is below 30F.

With this setup, I can go all day until it is about 5F. I have cold feet nonetheless but I can tolerate them.

This morning, went on with hotronic at max strength. Had to stop after two hours because of fogged up goggles. Feet were real cold but could have gone a bit longer.

Edd

In regard to boots being too tight and causing circulation issues:

My personal system, which may be bogus, is to hand wiggle each buckle. If it moves at all, tighten it a bit more until it no longer moves. Then, no more tightening. That obviously changes as the boots age.

I see people screwing with boots every lift ride, which just seems wrong. But Bode Miller, I am not.

Hawkshot99

I never get cold feet when skiing, even well into the negatives and do jot use hotronics or the toe warmers. The only time I get cold feet is on ski racing nights when I have to stand around doing nothing for long periods of time.

The warmest boots, are the comfiest boots. I currently have Dalbello Panterra's with Intuition liners and custom footbeds. I wear thin socks. For most skiing I barely even have the boots buckled because they fit me so well. I am in a very snug boot. I measure about a 27.5, and wear a 26.
I have worn big boots and thick socks before. Before I learned to fit boots, I didn't realize just how poorly my boors fit, I just assumed it was normal.
Once I was used to a ggod fit I went skiing unplanned with a friend, and had to borrow some equipment. My feet were sliding all over in the boots and were very sore by the end of the day. And that was only going up 1 size.

yeggous

I use thin socks, hotronics, and boot gloves. Feet never get cold. Ultimately it is frost bite on my nose that drives me inside.

BenedictGomez

I also suspect many people have never really tried it because the conventional wisdom is tight fitting boots & the boot fitters at ski shops are a little too aggressive on "tight fitting" aspect (IMHO) when they size you. Hard call to make as you have to assume that a new boot will break in and form after some usage so theoretically they should be "tight" when you leave the shop and will loosen up.

The liners will form to your feet over time, but the "fit" should be really snug and "embracing" (dont know another word to use) when you put them on.

IMO, if you try on a new pair of boots & they JUST BARELY feel "too tight", they're likely PERFECT. I've never heard someone try on ski boots, then intentionally go 1 size too big & find that's the correct answer. My 2¢.

Whitey

I've never heard someone try on ski boots, then intentionally go 1 size too big & find that's the correct answer. My 2¢.

That's kind of the whole point. A guy posts for ideas about how to deal with his cold feet - I kind of doubt he's looking for a bunch of people to tell him "lite socks, high end boots, boot warmers, & spend $200 on Hotronics". He's either already been told that or tried it and it's not working. The only reason I answered was because I figured my answer & experience is different than most of what he's heard before. That and I have found a lot of "conventional wisdom" goes unchallenged and just accepted but is also sometimes wrong.

Maybe I am just weird and what works for me will only work for me. But maybe many of the people who are forced into the "tight boot & lite sock" route because "that's the way it's always been done/the guy in the ski shop said so" and have chronically cold feet (like I did) would actually do better trying something different?

If you go the whitey "1 size too big" route - your heavy/thick sock has to be tight fitting. If the sock is too loose, your foot will swim. I have a pair of Carhart wool socks I wear, along with a sock liner too. Nice & thick but fit tightly. I do ratchet down my buckles pretty hard. But that's the whole point - when you've got your foot wrapped in a 1/2 inch of wool, you've got to "embrace" your foot with the boot. But since your foot is well padded by the sock, ratcheting down the buckles doesn't bite into your feet like it does when you are wearing a light sock. Your foot is like a well wrapped, and warm, burrito. I've never been chased off the mountain because "it's too cold to ski". Check out my post from Bolton Valley last year when it was like -10 at the base - the only guy in the entire area still skiing after lunch during a peak vacation week was whitey, and my feet were nice and toasty. . .

wa-loaf

I am never cold anywhere else. With this setup, I can go all day until it is about 5F. I have cold feet nonetheless but I can tolerate them.

This morning, went on with hotronic at max strength. Had to stop after two hours because of fogged up goggles. Feet were real cold but could have gone a bit longer.

Add some boot gloves at this point and you can go well below zero.

JDMRoma

Dry guy boot gloves are a good place to start with little money involved.
They work for sure !

Superfeet hot chili / they are red insoles are good too had them set up with my hotronics on my last boot set up

I'm selling my Hotronics S4s now with the red super feet for a $100 if anyone is looking ! I don't need them with my new boots.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone