• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Superstar stockpiles!

freeskierinvt

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1464361462.372435.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1464361481.314600.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1464361498.601054.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1464361525.468352.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1464362322.749925.jpg

Some awesome skiing today! The upper part of the Headwall is very thin where it was patched, and by my third run rocks were showing through. Last picture taken 11:10am.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Domeskier

Trail is skiing quite well this morning, except for the very top which is a rock garden. Groomed top to bottom with the only bumps on the sides of the headeall and some small ones skiers right on th flats.

Does it look like there's enough base where they groomed it for decent lines to form?

Savemeasammy

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1464369304.628803.jpg
Headwall

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1464369341.323414.jpg
Runout

These are early afternoon shots.

Enjoy it while you can!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

chuckstah

Does it look like there's enough base where they groomed it for decent lines to form?

It's pretty much done. Some bumps formed, but they'll probably groom again tomorrow to keep it going. Still a fun day. Bring the worst rock skis.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
May 27, 2016 - Fri.

I estimate, perhaps 100 to 150 people there today. First few runs of the day were superb. By 10AM, the snow pushed on the headwall was melting away. Most who were skiing on good skis were hiking down the headwall to where the good and consistent snow started. I suspect they will push a similar amount down tomorrow and Sunday - which will make for pleasant runs for the first hour or so each day. (The twenty plus foot deep mound at the top is down to perhaps 5 to 8 feet.)

From the bottom of the headwall to about tower 6, it was pretty much full-width and skied nicely. Toward the bottom, two narrow patches were skiable but you had to keep moving to avoid a bottleneck.

I found it very pleasant. June 1 still seems to be on the table, but it is not clear with Saturday's 80+deg. temps if they'll even make it through this weekend without extensive walking.

machski

Why does everyone assume they only "push down" up top. They only had 3 winch cats parked up top last weekend. I'd say they could pull up as well (though in the heat with super soft snow, I fully admit that may be tough).

Cornhead

Now this is Spring skiing! Well, except for VW bug sized bumps. Almost all was groomed last night. Headwall is done, choke point just above the "S" is toast too. Middle of "S" is hanging in there. One more run, and my season is most likely, finally done, good riddance, bug the end was sweet, thank's God, and K. Be interesting to see if they can make Monday. I guess they can, walking will definitely be required.
1464453524207.jpg
1464453557030.jpg
1464453591225.jpg
1464453636346.jpg

chuckstah

Free skiing tomorrow for likely the last day. Possible Jun first encore.

Zand

Gonna give it a go tomorrow...wish I didn't let the forecast last Sunday scare me away as it ended up looking good. Webcam doesn't look promising for them to find snow to cover the bare spots but it'll be a good time anyway.

Domeskier

Lots of walking today. Down the head wall to some short but oh so sweet zipper lines. Walking again above the "S" and, by the end of the day, near the bottom of the S as well. Unless you were a grass and mud skiing pro. Quite a few of those out today. Worst part was the heat. Grateful for the clouds that rolled in late afternoon. Still a lot of snow on upper middle supe, but, sadly, few bumps.

Cornhead

No bumps, but damn, this looks sweet for almost June.1464528920520.jpg
If I were there today I think I'd bring a pack and boots and just stay in the middle. Still nice bumps up top though, getting all the way back to the chair looks like a nightmare though. What a difference a day makes, a 90° Sun high in the sky day, POOF! gone.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
I applaud the fact they opened.

A Middle SS BBQ and party would get folks hiking and that middle stretch would bump up pronto.

chuckstah

worst part was the black flies ...

No shit! I have bites on both ankles (with ski boots WTF?) and both arms. Little bastards are out in force. Hiking for June turns is going to take heavy armor.

Cornhead

My first experience with black flies, we don't have them in Binghamton, thank God. I guess I've been lucky to miss their season in all my late season ski trips. I stopped for a toke at the rocks about halfway down, felt bites on the back of my upper arms, thought they were mosquitoes at first, then realized they must be black flies. I've got itchy bumps now. I don't remember being bit any other time but when I stopped.
1464614135040.jpg
Found out unlike mosquitoes, black flies breed in running, fresh water. Looks like the party spot, with the little creek running into it off the trail, is a perfect breeding ground for the flies. Maybe pot smoke works as a repellent, I didn't get bit until I'd finished.

Cornhead

1464702497359.jpg
Glad I didn't run into this guy in the woods, pic from Kzone, Friday morning prior to opening.

dlague

My first experience with black flies, we don't have them in Binghamton, thank God. I guess I've been lucky to miss their season in all my late season ski trips. I stopped for a toke at the rocks about halfway down, felt bites on the back of my upper arms, thought they were mosquitoes at first, then realized they must be black flies. I've got itchy bumps now. I don't remember being bit any other time but when I stopped.
View attachment 20276
Found out unlike mosquitoes, black flies breed in running, fresh water. Looks like the party spot, with the little creek running into it off the trail, is a perfect breeding ground for the flies. Maybe pot smoke works as a repellent, I didn't get bit until I'd finished.

I will not miss the black flies or the mosquitos. Those damn black flies get into your hairline ears and pack quite a punch for little buggers.