• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How bad have skier visits and business been this year?

yeggous

After looking for hotels for this weekend and bed I can tell business is dead. I had no problem finding last minute availability and fire sale prices both in Lyndonville and Stowe.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

i found the opposite in lincoln/loon, and ended up getting a room all the way down in laconia for $70. couldnt find anything in lincoln under $150 a night. i usually ski cannon in the spring and stay in lincoln for like $65 priceline name your own, so i was surprised about the lack of cheap rooms this weekend. also heard a lot of british accents today.

yeggous

i found the opposite in lincoln/loon, and ended up getting a room all the way down in laconia for $70. couldnt find anything in lincoln under $150 a night. i usually ski cannon in the spring and stay in lincoln for like $65 priceline name your own, so i was surprised about the lack of cheap rooms this weekend. also heard a lot of british accents today.

We are in Lyndonville for $65 tonight. Stowe next weekend for $90/night. There is lots of availability.

Lincoln might be a different story being so far south. If you're ever looking for affordable lodging in North Conway, let me know. My ski club host guests for $25/person/night.

KustyTheKlown

We are in Lyndonville for $65 tonight. Stowe next weekend for $90/night. There is lots of availability.

Lincoln might be a different story being so far south. If you're ever looking for affordable lodging in North Conway, let me know. My ski club host guests for $25/person/night.

yea, as stated earlier in the thread, it comes down to the northern resorts being largely unable to offer what makes them better than the southern ones. if i cant ski the trees and sidecountry, then im not going to stowe. etc.

deadheadskier

Staff member
yea, as stated earlier in the thread, it comes down to the northern resorts being largely unable to offer what makes them better than the southern ones. if i cant ski the trees and sidecountry, then im not going to stowe. etc.

To each their own, I consider Stowe to be the best place to ski groomers in New England. Yes, the side country and natural snow is the real draw, but if all there is to ski is groomers in New England, Stowe is where I want to do it. 2 separate mountain areas with 2k vert of great pitch serviced by fast last lifts. Distance and price is the set back.

KustyTheKlown

sure the stowe groomers are great, but not for the price when plenty of places offer a fine groomer product. i could never fathom paying stowe prices just to ski groomers.

steamboat1

I wonder if people are staying closer to home. Killington has been pretty busy this weekend. Pretty long lift lines and most restaurants had a 40 min wait. I have heard midweek has been dead and business are down from other years.

Midweek is not dead but it's not crowded either. Not much different than what I've experienced over several years of midweek skiing at K. There are peeps there but like usual not crowded at all. K midweek is a blast.

machski

sure the stowe groomers are great, but not for the price when plenty of places offer a fine groomer product. i could never fathom paying stowe prices just to ski groomers.

That in my book is killing them this year. The ridiculous advertised price for what they can offer. May have some vert, but they do not offer a huge selection of trails without natural snowfall. Could not see paying that price for snowmaking groomers only.

steamboat1

Hayride, Liftline & Nose Dive are not your everyday run of the mill groomers. They offer a lot more challenge than your average groomer. Would I pay Stowes price to ski them? Heck no but I wouldn't anyway even if they were 100% open. I've yet to pay more than $45 to ski Stowe.

goldsbar

Hunter was busy yesterday (Saturday).

Count me in as one of those that won't travel north for groomers. Catskills are my travel limit (~2 hrs) for no trees or natural snow trails. Groomers are just fine at Elk, Belleayre, Hunter, etc.

slatham

http://www.uvm.edu/~empact/data/gen...&width=800&height=600&smooth=0&csv=0&totals=0

Hope springs eternal. The 2 years that have been mentioned by ski area personnel over the past week while I was in VT as being as bad or worse than this year are 79/80 and 82/83 (complete agreement that this is way worse than 11/12). Its interesting to look at the Mt Mansfield snow graphs that are on the above link. Very similar look YTD, with end of Feb depths in the 25-30" area (as shocking as that is!). But do note the uptrend thereafter, with both years getting to 50" by the end of March and 82/83 hitting a whopping 80" by the end of April. Too late to save the year economically, but maybe there is some good or great skiing still come!

THINK SNOW!

Last edited:

skibumski

http://www.uvm.edu/~empact/data/gen...&width=800&height=600&smooth=0&csv=0&totals=0

Hope springs eternal. The 2 years that have been mentioned by ski area personnel over the past week while I was in VT as a as bad or worse than this year are 79/80 and 82/83 (complete agreement that this is way worse than 11/12). Its interesting to look at the Mt Mansfield snow graphs that are on the above link. Very similar look YTD, with end of Feb depths in the 25-30" area (as shocking as that is!). But do note the uptrend thereafter, with both years getting to 50" by the end of March and 82/83 hitting a whopping 80" by the end of April. Too late to save the year economically, but maybe there is some good or great skiing still come!

THINK SNOW!

What is this, someone left with hope on AZ?! Preposterous!

slatham

Yes, I am completely and helplessly optimistic, even after several brutal beatings this winter by wet and warm weather. But some of the weather guys I follow are showing the opportunity for a better pattern coming up (this weeks storm notwithstanding) and at least the historical record says it can happen, even in a terrible winter!

Smellytele

Monday skied Burke. Groomers skied great and fast, Never got scraped off. Only about 100 people there.
Tuesday skied Stowe - the steep groomers where great. Most ungroomed open were sketchy but skied a few. A few woods were in play and found some fresh off the gondola. Steady crowd but ski on all day.

SIKSKIER

Look for Fire-Sale '16/17 season pass sale offers this Spring at some of the NH mountains. .

Interesting that you posted this.I just saw a post by Cannon that they are rolling back prices for next year.Early buy in by May 31st will be $599 for NH resident.I believe I paid $625 for this year.Plus 2 anytime tickets.

Puck it

Interesting that you posted this.I just saw a post by Cannon that they are rolling back prices for next year.Early buy in by May 31st will be $599 for NH resident.I believe I paid $625 for this year.Plus 2 anytime tickets.
I paid $829 last year for out of state.
They are now $799

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
Yes, I am completely and helplessly optimistic, even after several brutal beatings this winter by wet and warm weather. But some of the weather guys I follow are showing the opportunity for a better pattern coming up (this weeks storm notwithstanding) and at least the historical record says it can happen, even in a terrible winter!

I've had it up to here with patterns, euros and nams this year. Only pattern I see is shit one week followed by shit the next.

jaybird

cheaptickets.com could be your saviour.

Last edited:

Gforce

business is way down. Talk to any of the managers or commercial guys at the resorts. Lots of cancellatons this year. Most of the chairs are loaded with season pass holders from what I have observed. Day trippers and casual weekend skier visits seem to be way down. I suspect any mountain with marginal snowmkaing are taking a beating.

Look for Fire-Sale '16/17 season pass sale offers this Spring at some of the NH mountains. Marketers are worried about the pysch of the NE skier and snowboarder.

Peaks Resorts stepped up in a Huge way. $599 for all the mountains including Mt. Snow. Super deal. Looks like it is very popular based on the buzz here on the AZ. Is Boyne Resorts going to Ante Up ??