• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How bad have skier visits and business been this year?

BenedictGomez

Michael Colbourn, vice

• president of marketing sales and communication at Stowe Mountain Resort, told
    the Stowe Today, "Historically, this was the
    worst natural-snowfall year ever, at least as far as the records that we have
    here at the resort, and going by the stake at the top of the mountain."

FACT CHECK: True

Though with fairly unimpressive 'N's. These were the 3 worst years I could find.

YOMV in that some may say 1956-57 was worst, but this year was either worst or second worst at any rate. The other interesting thing I found by comparing all the years is that a lot of the worst years seem to be in that 1950s - 1960s time period, which refutes the oldtimers always saying "we used to get so much more snow back...." - plotting this all out actually makes me feel fortunate for the last 20 years.

gendateplot.php3

deadheadskier

Staff member
The fish is always bigger in memory than reality.

I suspect the old timers memory of more snow had more to do with lesser technology in moving that snow out of the way.

jimk

The fish is always bigger in memory than reality.

I suspect the old timers memory of more snow had more to do with lesser technology in moving that snow out of the way.

Born in 1953 and I would tend to agree with you. My parents owned the same home in close-in Wash DC suburbs from 1959 to 2005. I moved within a couple miles of them in 1999 and always lived within 90 mins or so of them in the years between. In the "old days" at my parent's house in the 1960s and 70s I seem to remember snow staying on the ground for longer periods of time than in "modern days" of 1980's and later. That may be from exaggerated childhood/teenage memories or because the dense population and urban heat island hadn't yet enveloped their part of the suburbs leading to warmer temps and better snow removal. As a homeowner/adult over the last 30+ years in various parts of Northern VA I've seen plenty of surprisingly big snow storms. We get a surprising number of 15-25" storms close to the city, probably only a little less frequently than major coastal cities further north such as NYC or Boston. Only anecdotal, but seems like we'd only get a storm like that in or close to the city about once a decade. Now it seems like they happen about once every five years. What makes our area tough for skiing is we get random heat waves or multiday rain storms at any time all winter long in between cooler weather. That's kind of always been true during my 50 years as a skier down here.

Scruffy

Big snow years come and go, always have, so the "old timers" remember the big ones, nothing new there. Just watch the film "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby. It's fictional, of course, but it would have a huge plot hole if there wasn't some truth to the fact that not all Vermont winters are replete with snow.

dlague

Fron Cannon's Meeting Minutes - Overall ski season revenue and visits off roughly 33%, on par with SkiNH members reporting in. So while overall ski industry revenue was up about 5% it was not because of New England.

slatham

Down 25-35% in the NE seems to be the range. Time for a rebound season��

thetrailboss

Staff member
Big snow years come and go, always have, so the "old timers" remember the big ones, nothing new there. Just watch the film "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby. It's fictional, of course, but it would have a huge plot hole if there wasn't some truth to the fact that not all Vermont winters are replete with snow.

Yep. In my lifetime and the 31 years I was in Vermont Christmas skiing was always a crap shoot. Lots of snow and terrain some years, grass others, and somewhere in between for most.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
They should move the Christmas Holiday to January 25th. Just claim there was a typo in the good book.