• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Redemption Storm? 02/23/2016 - 02/26/2016

tnt1234

Weather sites are backing down estimates, but those maps look promising.

I like the maps.

Yay maps.

Go maps.

ChicoKat

If this mornings GFS works out it will be the knockout punch for this year. Another 2 day rain event during a money maker week. Shows a weaker version of last weeks monsoon. It went from being in the gulf of Maine to western NY in 6 hours so it is obviously as confused as I am about this winter! Canadian is better but could come a little closer to the cape.

delco714

If this mornings GFS works out it will be the knockout punch for this year. Another 2 day rain event during a money maker week. Shows a weaker version of last weeks monsoon. It went from being in the gulf of Maine to western NY in 6 hours so it is obviously as confused as I am about this winter! Canadian is better but could come a little closer to the cape.
I'm officially just shutting down my ski brain after this weekend and getting excited for Cancun 3/12/16.

BenedictGomez

LOL @ GFS going from a coastal snowstorm to a savage deep inland cutter in 6 hours (really). That model is absolute trash. Last night's Canuck looks great for Cats, n.VT, and ADK though.

ChicoKat

looks like the 'Germans are about to bomb pearl harbor' toga ...toga...toga:
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_21.png

tnt1234

Ah, look, you guys are speaking a different language to me.

Am I getting this right?;

- After VT got wrecked and we cancelled our trip north, there was a glimmer of hope for net weekend in the form of a storm next weds>thru that at one time looked like a nice 12"er.
- This storm is now being called rain by someone named 'GFS'.
- Some people think 'GFS' is stupid and should be kicked in the balls.
- These people like someone else named 'Euro' who still thinks it will snow next week.

Is that where we stand?

hammer

Ah, look, you guys are speaking a different language to me.

Am I getting this right?;

- After VT got wrecked and we cancelled our trip north, there was a glimmer of hope for net weekend in the form of a storm next weds>thru that at one time looked like a nice 12"er.
- This storm is now being called rain by someone named 'GFS'.
- Some people think 'GFS' is stupid and should be kicked in the balls.
- These people like someone else named 'Euro' who still thinks it will snow next week.

Is that where we stand?

http://home.earthlink.net/~tkurkowski/Weather-Models/weather-models.html

catsup948

12z GFS getting a clue maybe. Weaker low pressure travels over the cape brings a moderate snowfall to ski country. Let's see what the euro does.

BenedictGomez

Congress please ban GFS.

Don't just take my word for it, NYC meteorologist Joe Cioffi posted this a few hours ago.

GFS MODEL JUST UTTERLY AWFUL

If you wonder why it is so hard to nail a forecast down in the long range, the last 3 runs of the GFS show why in this case (and so many others) the model is utterly useless!

He sounds angry.