• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Redemption Storm? 02/23/2016 - 02/26/2016

catsup948

Any chance there is snow after the rain next week?

It's always the case with these App runners is they have modeled snow after the low pulls north. But most always the case the cold air dries everything out and there is no snow. Upslope would be nice though.

VTKilarney

Somebody asked for my *opinion*. I gave it.
That person was being entirely sarcastic.

I believe it to be true.
You believe that God has decided to make it rain in the northeast because a few people on an internet form mentioned a Norse god? Interesting...

Speaking of Satan, what the hell is happening to this site? 3-4 years ago I remember this being vaguely fun. Thinking MIA is the way to go.
You are obviously not happy. I've never understood people who hung around a party that was making them unhappy. You should definitely look for things that make you happy and avoid things that make you unhappy. Good luck to you.

VTKilarney

So you're throwing in the towel on Burke? Good call.

Exactly. You obviously remembered my decision to leave once my gift card is used up. Thanks for bringing up that example. That's exactly what I was talking about, Tuna.

bdfreetuna

No it's more like every time I come on here to check weather, ski conditions etc I see my handle mentioned in some kind of disparaging manner.

VTKilarney obviously among the usual people to try to flame me. What have I done to this guy? Nothing except half the time stand up for myself.

I post something funny from time to time now it's flamed. I get flamed for stuff that's not even true like whatever chemtrail thing VTKilarney is always talking about because I posted a weather modification website. Same guy who says I'm obviously not happy. That's interesting.. I'm probably one of the more content and peaceful, active and well-rounded people you'll never meet in real life.

It's really like less than a handful of people ruining my experience and anyone who spends any time here knows who's in the bdfreetuna haters club. DeadheadSkier "it's what you make of it". What am I supposed to make of it when certain members of this site seem to have made it their goal to drive me out of here or see if they can get me to stoop to that level?

I have no problem at all with banter or taking it on the chin when I'm wrong. It's gone beyond that when I don't even post for weeks and I show up here to see the same people continuing this.

There's zero moderation on unwarranted and continuous flaming around here. I usually just come on here to post a skiing trip report and see what else is up. I've kept my reports entertaining and with good photos and info and they get a lot of clicks.

Basically the site has gone unmoderated, and no wonder the number of users hasn't increased in recent years. And that's a shame to me because this site has a lot of potential, but if you let good members get pushed out by this crap and other good would-be members think again about getting involved here, it's AlpineZone's loss.

Nobody deserves this much harassment for calling a bad weather forecast and wrecking a car. I would think that would be a scenario for compassion, if anything.

So I will be leaving soon.

Puck it

No it's more like every time I come on here to check weather, ski conditions etc I see my handle mentioned in some kind of disparaging manner.

VTKilarney obviously among the usual people to try to flame me. What have I done to this guy? Nothing except half the time stand up for myself.

I post something funny from time to time now it's flamed. I get flamed for stuff that's not even true like whatever chemtrail thing VTKilarney is always talking about because I posted a weather modification website. Same guy who says I'm obviously not happy. That's interesting.. I'm probably one of the more content and peaceful, active and well-rounded people you'll never meet in real life.

It's really like less than a handful of people ruining my experience and anyone who spends any time here knows who's in the bdfreetuna haters club. DeadheadSkier "it's what you make of it". What am I supposed to make of it when certain members of this site seem to have made it their goal to drive me out of here or see if they can get me to stoop to that level?

I have no problem at all with banter or taking it on the chin when I'm wrong. It's gone beyond that when I don't even post for weeks and I show up here to see the same people continuing this.

There's zero moderation on unwarranted and continuous flaming around here. I usually just come on here to post a skiing trip report and see what else is up. I've kept my reports entertaining and with good photos and info and they get a lot of clicks.

Basically the site has gone unmoderated, and no wonder the number of users hasn't increased in recent years. And that's a shame to me because this site has a lot of potential, but if you let good members get pushed out by this crap and other good would-be members think again about getting involved here, it's AlpineZone's loss.

Nobody deserves this much harassment for calling a bad weather forecast and wrecking a car. I would think that would be a scenario for compassion, if anything.

So I will be leaving soon.
lighten up, Francis.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The general consensus around these forums is for less moderation, not more. We typically let the community self moderate as much as possible and intervene as a last measure. I think you'll notice that some members have stuck up for you in many threads where people tend to tease you. I have closed some threads when you have asked, I have closed others without you asking as I've felt people had taken things to far.

Keep in mind that I and none of the other moderators read every thread. So, we might not catch something that you find offensive. In which case your best bet is to report it and can be dealt with. In the case of Steamboat's comment, I took that as light ribbing for missing on a few forecasts this year.

Like it or not, you are quite the character. That's a good thing! Characters tend to get brought up in the course of discussion. "Tunaspeed" is forever part of AZ folklore. From that alone you're likely to be refenced.

Either way my hope is that you stick around.

bdfreetuna

I understand I am a character -- I come on here for fun not to waste my time defending my financial decisions, read people talk about my wife and family, and all the stuff you've seen going on lately.

Steamboat doesn't obsess over me, I have no issue with him. Every single person on this forum can have their digs on me and then we can drop it and move on as far as I'm concerned. Half the reason I created my new car thread, it was obvious flame bait (even though I am psyched to pick it up next weekend), I figured everyone can get it out of their system.

And even a thread that was intended to get a little out of hand got wayyy out of hand.

You know the very few people I'm talking about. They seem to me a much different type of "character". As far as I can tell you're the only moderator still here and I appreciate you closing that thread and taking care of a few others.

twinplanx

I haven't been around here as much as I used to, due mostly to a job change and a lean snow year. I have to agree with Tuna on a few points. It seems as if this site has deteriorated a bit. Idk if more moderation is necessary though. I think a guy like tuna who has been a long time contributer should be given some slack(com'on the guy wrecked his car ON A SKI TRIP) The constant flame wars and other negativity do not encourage me from participating here.

Anyway, I went skiing this weekend and was pleasantly surprised by the conditions. I made the most of this challenging season and signed up for Tele-Fest at Bromley. A little fresh snow Friday night into Saturday morning seemed to make all the difference. It was my first time to Bromley and I really liked it. My GF and I also enjoyed our stay in Manchester.

So it looks like there may be some snow next week. I think that was the original title of this thread. My advice is to logout and go skiing...

BenedictGomez

I don't know that to be true and neither do you. There have literally been thousands of different gods throughout history that people have put their faith in. Someone wants to believe in Ullr, fine by me and just as legitimate as any other faith.

Please GOOG Ullr so you can see how silly what you're saying is. Not only is there not in 2016 a religion that worships Ullr, it's not even known if he ever (literally) was an actual worshiped religious idol, because no records of worship etc, to him exist.

VTKilarney

Remember the boy in elementary school who pulled the girl's ponytail? It means he had a thing for you but doesn't know how to express it.

I've never been accused of not being able to express myself. That's a first, for sure.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
There is no such thing as the "correct" level of moderation. Any is too much for some, a lot is not enough for others.

I mod another forum and it's not easy. Year after year people expect you to be neutral and even handed about everything. It's not easy as mods got opinions too. We're all hardcore skiers after all.

Personally I'm in awe of DHS' temperament.

Also don't forget Harv's formula, detailing the relationship between crankiness and total snowfall:

Cr = 1/Sn

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

The Euro is crazy west with this thing.

euro96-5.png

BenedictGomez

But most importantly, the Canuck has finally caved and comes west, so, another worst-case scenario will be playing out.

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_16.png