NWS 2016 / 2017 Winter forecast! - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 96 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    boooooo..... this discussion sucks! ladybugs?!? C'mon!!! -Gob Bluth

Bwa ha ha!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations." Tommy Magliozzi

People actually spend money on the Farmers Almanac....I rank this up there. "Just for fun"

Disclaimer - I am no weather expert. This is based on blogs and other reports that I have read and temperature forecasts for different areas.

So, I was researching the next two-three weeks and can see a nice trend for the Northeast where temps stay cool/cold. Looks like a couple days might experience some rain during the day but it is limited otherwise the Northeast is going to be well on its way towards getting the ski season off on a good start. With the colder temps especially at night, all the ski areas that are scheduled to open around Thanksgiving should not be an issue.

The Northwest including Southwest Canada, well they are getting pounded. There has been a very nice pattern for them which is lifting storms entering from the Pacific into that region and carrying across Northern States as well as into Southern Canada and not dipping down much until it get closer to New England (Bonus).

While the current jet stream works well for NW and NE, it does not bode well for Utah and Colorado with temps well above average with not real relief in sight since the temperature pattern continues to fluctuate. At best we will get some sloppy seconds from the next storm now entering CA that will bring some cold air but get pushed up north into Wyoming providing Utah and Colorado with some teaser snow but the current ridge of high pressure in the central US will push further north leaving Utah/Colorado with unfavorable temps for the next couple weeks - which sucks! Tahoe seems to be in the neutral zone between the NW and Utah/Colorado area where things could go either way for them but the ridge of high pressure will be warming them up too.

Overall the Northeast seems to be in great shape over the next few weeks, the NW while they have been getting hit, will dry out a little and Utah/Colorado will remain warm. Not the plan I had for this fall!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Environment Canada today's seasonal forecast (Oct. 31st) put at less than 10% the probability of having temperatures below the average for nov.-dec-jan, and put next month forecats at average at best.

https://weather.gc.ca/saisons/image_e.html?img=mfe1t_s

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    Environment Canada today's seasonal forecast (Oct. 31st) put at less than 10% the probability of having temperatures below the average for nov.-dec-jan, and put next month forecats at average at best.

https://weather.gc.ca/saisons/image_e.html?img=mfe1t_s
    Well Average works if the temps are cold enough to support snow making or snowfall. But there is a lot of red and orange which is not good. Northeast seems neutral!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

I keep hearing from multiple sources that starting mid Nov through Xmas will be intense for NE! Just hoping it continues through the entire winter.

Sent from my LG-H901 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Dave
    11/12 Season 13
    12/13 Season 17
    13/14 Season 22
    14/15 Season 30
    15/16 Season 24
    16/17 Season 32

Quote Originally Posted by ALLSKIING View Post
    I keep hearing from multiple sources that starting mid Nov through Xmas will be intense for NE! Just hoping it continues through the entire winter.

Sent from my LG-H901 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Accuweather's three month forecast is very, very grim. Like a repeat of last year grim.

Quote Originally Posted by Los View Post
    Accuweather's three month forecast is very, very grim. Like a repeat of last year grim.
    That's because accuweather's forecast long range last year looked great. Their long range is a joke.

Sent from my SM-T900 using AlpineZone mobile app

Does anyone remember the season when Killington got the Halloween storm? Yup able to poach runs T2B in October and the rest of the season sucked - not as bad as last year though. I do have to say there was one big storm that season that delivered at Jay Peak and dropped the most powder I had ever seen there. That was about it!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

Thread Information