• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NWS 2016 / 2017 Winter forecast!

dlague

Well my real first weekend in Colorado and it is snowing like crazy. Loveland is showing 15 inches on the stake. Other mountains reporting the same. Supposed to snow into tomorrow. Not skiing today due to 40-50 m/h winds but two of our boys are at Copper. We are heading out tomorrow to Loveland or A Basin. Funny thing and as many of you know, some of the ski areas have shut down already. They are serious about their hard stops which is a bit of a bummer.

twinplanx

...They are serious about their hard stops which is a bit of a bummer.

Hard to argue when your on leased land... Besides the irony of such a large spring storm there is the added insult of our own pitiful excuse for a winter.

dlague

Shitty season in the northeast and while we will still ski to the end here it is sad to see fully covered ski areas closing!

4aprice

Shitty season in the northeast and while we will still ski to the end here it is sad to see fully covered ski areas closing!

Yea but its always been that way. You have your bastions of late season skiing.(AB LL Snowbird) A lot of the major resorts have their employees on contracts that expire so no workers, Forest service closes for breeding season and most of all the customers dry up (even the locals). You now have the Loveland Pass area to play around with till June. (Looks like at least 15 + there over what was a solid base a week and 1/2 ago. ) Enjoy the Beach at Arapahoe.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

Yea but its always been that way. You have your bastions of late season skiing.(AB LL Snowbird) A lot of the major resorts have their employees on contracts that expire so no workers, Forest service closes for breeding season and most of all the customers dry up (even the locals). You now have the Loveland Pass area to play around with till June. (Looks like at least 15 + there over what was a solid base a week and 1/2 ago. ) Enjoy the Beach at Arapahoe.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I get it but still sad.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd rather have that problem with ski areas like ABasin staying open as long as August 10th than what we got going on here right now!!

Los

So I read something recently that says La Nina will likely happen and that the impact for the northeast will be colder temps than normal with less precipitation than normal. Sounds like a reverse of what's supposed to happen with el nino. Given our primo snow making capacity, maybe it will be a good year! It better be dammit!

dlague

This is a better graphic - hope this comes true for New England or should I say the Northeast!

14463292_539836189560356_1278669935171208389_n.jpg

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
This is why I don't believe anything meteorologists predict.

This is from last year ... we all know how that worked out
2016-us-weather-map.jpg

Here we have this years prediction. Notice anything similar?
2017-us-weather-map.jpg

Jully

Farmer's almanac is total crap though and isn't exactly meteorology (no offense). While I agree long range forecasts are not great, the farmer's almanac is something totally different and totally worthless.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Farmer's almanac is total crap though and isn't exactly meteorology (no offense). While I agree long range forecasts are not great, the farmer's almanac is something totally different and totally worthless.

Their crap is no more or less accurate than anybody else's. All long range forecasts are totally worthless! What I find amusing is that FA seems to recycle the same Hippie Dippy forecast every year.

Here's another example from Weather Bell predicting normal snowfall for the northeast last year.
Winter_2015_16_Snowfall_Aug.png

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Their crap is no more or less accurate than anybody else's. All long range forecasts are totally worthless! What I find amusing is that FA seems to recycle the same Hippie Dippy forecast every year.

Here's another example from Weather Bell predicting normal snowfall for the northeast last year.
Winter_2015_16_Snowfall_Aug.png

Actually part of that is right on...just not NE.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
This year will be "different".

This also does not mean that cold and snowstorms are imminent. It does mean that at the very least the state of the atmosphere is completely different from last year at this time and that the outcome should be different as well. We will be watching the weather patterns closely over the next few weeks to see how it evolves.

...the one big mystery in this is whether this different hemispheric look that is developing will translate into a wetter than normal pattern in the drought areas. There is nothing that says we can’t go from warm and dry to cold and dry for the next several months.

italics mine

http://www.meteorologistjoecioffi.com/index.php/2016/10/26/joestradamus-early-winter-coming/

:dontknow:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com