• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cat Skiing

bheemsoth

My wife and I are heading to Beaver Creek/Vail 3/16-20. I had been planning on doing a 3 day Epic lift ticket, and my wife had been planning a two day, as she likely wouldn't ski more than that.

For Saturday I was worried about the crowds at BC/Vail. I did some googling and came across Vail Powder Guides - a cat skiing operation - http://www.vailpowderguides.com/. The price is a little steep ($450), but if this allows me to drop down to a 2 day pass, the true cost is $300. That's still a little steep, but is within my "splurge range."

My question is - has anyone done this type of cat skiing before? Is the experience worth it? They promote 10-12 powder runs and include lunch and usage of their powder skis, which seems fair to me.

Thoughts?

abc

If the main objective is crowd avoidance, you can go to BC on Saturday. It's considerably less crowded than Vail. In fact, I've never seen crowds on BV (but I hadn't done Vail/BC for the last few years so things may have changed, people might have "discovered" BC.

Hawkshot99

I have never don e cat skiing as a day long event...but have gone and done it up above a open resort (powder mtn) and gotten pre opening powder runs from a cat.
If you are a big fan of powder skiing it is definatly something you need to do at least once in your life. You are able to find much better snow than the tracked out resort, and a good cat driver will take you to some awesome terrain.

skithetrees

I've been twice, and have to say I was disappointed both times. I went to the cat skiing option at grand targee and the other one about an hour east of Jackson (only two options in Jackson at the time). The snow was great, but the terrain was less than challenging for me. I had far more fun when we went back and my wife hired me a backcountry guide at Jackson for the day. Price was about the same, but the terrain was way better and far more challenging. Of course, I was doing a fair amount of climbing, so it is a different game than cat skiing, but if you are in the shape (and I barely was), I would recommend that route instead. The terrain will be far more personalized to what you like. But if you just want to rip some easy powder runs with a bunch of other people, cat skiing is a great option. I just don't think I would ever go again (or risk spending the money on a heli) unless I could fill the whole group with people that I knew and who skied similar to me.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
If you REALLY want to avoid crowds look into this Cat Ski company in Leadville (<1hr from vail). http://skicooper.com/snowcat-tours/?fullsite=true

(I feel like I'm part of the Ski Cooper marketing dept lately)

Keep it up and I'll have to put you on the payroll!

Chicago Ridge is pretty epic. 2,600 acres, 12 people. Good times. Let me know if you have any questions. Here's some stoke from this January:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1000871.jpg
    P1000871.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 184
  • P1000877.jpg
    P1000877.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 184

SIKSKIER

Set your expectations not as you would for a destination British Columbia catskiing experience and you will have fun.It certainly is a different way to access terrain.However,when you get a chance you must try the real deal like Mustang Powder where snowfall averages towards 800 inches.http://www.mustangpowder.com/

Attachments

• 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 098.jpg
    098.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 80