• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Catamount 2.21.16

gmcunni

Hit up the might Catamount. Successfully avoid the most dangerous magic carpet in New England.

As i'm sure the case with all southern New England hills, the recent rain devastated any natural snow. i think they were claiming 30 / 34 open. the trails open were in decent shape, nice spring conditions today.

not crowded at all which was good for me, not so good for the mountain.

Last edited:

BillyGoat

I went there last year at the beginning of President week, so my view is a bit skewed. Of course, for that week, it was overpriced, but I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of the runs. The lodge is nothing to speak of. I thought it was a little cramp, but they had a lot of free storage bins which I consider a very customer friendly thing to do. The people seemed the usual mix of vacationers from NY. I think I saw signs for a Waterpark and hotel that wad going to get built? I thought, hm, this could end in tears. It seems like they have the opportunity to pull more from the chic Westchester crowd, but they don't seem to intent on attracting them with improvements to the skiing.

I'll go back, but only with a discount ticket..and probably on the way to VT.

Bene288

16c42e1a82b269eac43c9f855bec2ac6.jpg

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk

bigbog

+1 Bene288...
BillyGoat...their finances just killed the install of those bubblebaths, to be located within the glades...so promised for months:angry:....such is life in today's Great Society.
:lol:
Enjoyed the entry BG, but unless one is magnetically drawn to the park, when you're stuck with mountain_X, it's kind of tough to build a Mt. Mansfield...

abc

I think I saw signs for a Waterpark and hotel that wad going to get built? I thought, hm, this could end in tears. /QUOTE]
Unfortunately, people can't think straight. They just copy what seems to work for others in very different enviornment.

Sub-par skiing isn't the compelling motivation for paying top dollar for 'resort hotel' booking!

What works for Vail doesn't always work for Catamont.

gmcunni

i never understood how someone could think Catamount would support significant hotel development. it is a nice place for an occasional day trip or a great local option for nearby folks. adult season pass for next year priced at $375 right now.

bdfreetuna

Not sure how I've never been to that mountain considering it's proximity. Maybe I'll wait till next year though. Looks like a good springy day anyway.