• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Domestic Airline?

Edd

Flying out of Reno this afternoon on Southwest. Our connecting flight from Denver to Boston was cancelled due to weather tonight. The flight was going to arrive in Boston at around 12:45am.

My cynical side thinks that the flight wasn't fully booked so they went ahead and cancelled it. I'm under the impression that the weather wouldn't arrive until after the flight landed.

So right now we're planning to crash in Denver. We have new flight booked that gets us in Boston 24 hrs later than originally planned.

Last edited:

hammer

Flying out of Reno this afternoon on Southwest. Our connecting flight from Denver to Boston was cancelled due to weather tonight. The flight was going to arrive in Boston at around 12:45am.

My cynical side thinks that the flight wasn't fully booked so they went ahead and cancelled it. I'm under the impression that the weather wouldn't arrive until after the flight landed.

So right now we're planning to crash in Denver. We have new flight booked that gets us in Boston 24 hrs later than originally planned.
It could have been that they didn't want the plane to be stuck in Boston in the morning.

Edd

It could have been that they didn't want the plane to be stuck in Boston in the morning.

What's interesting is that, on the arrivals screen in Denver, there's only one scheduled flight to Boston: mine, and it's canceled. I would think I'd see 4 or so departing flights for today and there are none. This goes for all airlines.

Edit: and now, two other flights on other airlines have popped up. Both much later but not canceled yet.

Last edited:

Edd

For reasons too boring to explain, we jumped on a United flight out of Denver and arrived way too late for our connection in Newark. Reason: unknown.

They automatically bumped us to the next flight 90 minutes later. These issues are minor in the scheme of things but I've had such good luck over the years; I'm spoiled. It's just that two different airlines let us down two days in a row. We sense that the issues are completely different. Don't want to travel for awhile.

4aprice

Agree with some of the good comments about JetBlue. They're good particularly if you can fly out of JFK. Couple of years ago we took a Virgin America round trip from Newark to San Francisco. I was very impressed with them but they don't seem to fly too many places.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

hammer

Just wondering if anyone has been affected by Southwest's "policy" on saving seats...

Have plans on traveling and we paid for the early bird fees for the whole family. Guess the tactic is to pay for one early bird fee and then "save" seats for the others. Flight attendants and the airline don't do anything to stop this. :angry:

Hawkshot99

Just wondering if anyone has been affected by Southwest's "policy" on saving seats...

Have plans on traveling and we paid for the early bird fees for the whole family. Guess the tactic is to pay for one early bird fee and then "save" seats for the others. Flight attendants and the airline don't do anything to stop this. :angry:

Yea, I'm a asshole and just sit down. Its priority seating if I'm there first, my seat...

thetrailboss

Staff member

I've seen them discourage it on my flights.

hammer

We have been loyal SWA customers but we just had an issue with Early Bird reservations.

We paid $50 for the family to get priority seating numbers, and what did we get? B48 through B51...really?

Already sent an e-mail, will see if they are at least willing to refund the early-bird fee. Unacceptable... :angry:

thetrailboss

Staff member
We have been loyal SWA customers but we just had an issue with Early Bird reservations.

We paid $50 for the family to get priority seating numbers, and what did we get? B48 through B51...really?

Already sent an e-mail, will see if they are at least willing to refund the early-bird fee. Unacceptable... :angry:

That seems crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

hammer

SWA is going to refund the early bird check in fees. While I knew we would not be guaranteed an A pass, I had assumed that the B number would have been better than what we got...

I’m sorry that you were disappointed with the EarlyBird boarding position you received during your trip between xxx and yyy. Customers who take advantage of our EarlyBird option will automatically be assigned a boarding position beginning 36 hours prior to their flight's scheduled departure time. We will reserve the best boarding pass numbers available after our Business Select Customers' and Rapid Rewards A-List Members' boarding passes are assigned. Since the number of these types of Customers will vary on each flight, the boarding group number of Customers with the EarlyBird option will also vary. Therefore, EarlyBird Customers are not guaranteed to receive an "A" boarding pass.
With that said, we regret you were displeased with the boarding position you received. A refund of the EarlyBird Check-In charge for your one-way flight has been processed, and the refund will post to the credit card account ending in xxxx within 30 days.

xwhaler

Been travelling on American lately for work. Went to China last summer on Cathay Pacific so tied in to the OneWorld program to try and accumulate miles. American last week Manchester to Philadelphia went off without a hitch.

Used to fly US Airways out of Manchester but now it's AA. I'm hopeful they keep their routes intact there as SWA has really scaled back their MHT operations....funnelling everything from MHT/PVD to Logan I've noticed.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Been travelling on American lately for work. Went to China last summer on Cathay Pacific so tied in to the OneWorld program to try and accumulate miles. American last week Manchester to Philadelphia went off without a hitch.

Used to fly US Airways out of Manchester but now it's AA. I'm hopeful they keep their routes intact there as SWA has really scaled back their MHT operations....funnelling everything from MHT/PVD to Logan I've noticed.

I've noticed that flight options to MHT on SWA have been limited.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone