• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend March 4-6 2016

KustyTheKlown

On your way back from Tremblant, I consider staying on the Canadian side of the border. With the exchange rate, you get such a good bang for your buck. This works better for Jay Peak. There aren't a lot of good options in Canada across from from Highgate, but there are some good options near the border with Jay Peak.

Part of the appeal is having a US hotel near the border to leave my weed at while I am in Canada. A little pathetic, but it is what it is

bdfreetuna

Hah. Last time I brought erb across the Canada line, they did pull me aside and ask to search the vehicle. There were a few other college kids in the car with me. Fortunately while I was pulling into the space I was thinking quick. Took the erb and put it in my pocket. Then I casually asked if they had a restroom I could use while they looked around. "Sure, that way".

By the time I got back they were done poking around and I was free to leave. Keep in mind this was 15 years ago though. I'd like to think these days I'd be smart enough to actually flush the ganja while in the restroom. Worked out anyway.

wtcobb

Thinking BW under the lights Friday.
Saturday tour (incredibly optimistic) or hike.
Sunday volunteer day at Cannon with some laps in between lessons.

KustyTheKlown

You definitely don't want to fool around with that stuff at the border.

Yep risk v reward is clear on that one, which is why I am doing one day in Canada and one in Vermont, with a Vermont hotel room. Having my cake and eating it too. I also like not having any one 8 hour drive to deal with.

HowieT2

Yep risk v reward is clear on that one, which is why I am doing one day in Canada and one in Vermont, with a Vermont hotel room. Having my cake and eating it too. I also like not having any one 8 hour drive to deal with.

you're baking a cake with weed in it? I bet you wouldnt have a problem getting that across the border. :popcorn:

Cannonball

How much do you need for one day of skiing? I'm a lightweight but a days worth should be easy to cross with. No?

dlague

Does BW still have night skiing?

Yea they have a few runs off the chair closest to the lodge.

From their website:

Night Skiing & Riding Schedule
Five trails, and two lifts are open for night skiing and riding most Fridays, Saturdays and holiday period evenings during the winter season. Twilight tickets available from 2- 8 pm, and Night tickets from 4 - 8 pm: Friday and Saturdays from December 26, 2015 until March 12, 2016, plus December 27-31, 2015, January 17, 2016, and February 14-18, 2016. We also have a great Powder & Pasta lift ticket special (includes pasta dinner) during night skiing. Learn more

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

And if you got busted you'd likely never be allowed back in Canada. Good call on the VT room for your purposes.

The same is true if you have a prior DWI conviction. Canada will deny you entry. I wonder how many skiers get turned away each year because of a prior drug or DWI conviction.

bdfreetuna

FUUUUUUUUUU.... I have a DUI from 4 years ago. CWOF but it looks like it doesn't matter.

Hotel won't refund me, has to be 7 days out.

I'll have my wife drive across the border and take my chances I guess. If I get turned around it's a loss of $360 for 2 nights at the hotel, and we'll be doing 2 days of Jay and having to get another hotel I guess :/

What are my chances, are they really going to do a background check on me in the passenger seat with a good passport and clean car with skis in it?

Smellytele

FUUUUUUUUUU.... I have a DUI from 4 years ago. CWOF but it looks like it doesn't matter.

Hotel won't refund me, has to be 7 days out.

I'll have my wife drive across the border and take my chances I guess. If I get turned around it's a loss of $360 for 2 nights at the hotel, and we'll be doing 2 days of Jay and having to get another hotel I guess :/

What are my chances, are they really going to do a background check on me in the passenger seat with a good passport and clean car with skis in it?

It happens more so when flying. since 911 it may be equal not sure. Haven't been to the 51 state since 1999

yeggous

It happens more so when flying. since 911 it may be equal not sure. Haven't been to the 51 state since 1999

This is a really tricky situation. I have an arrest on my record, by charges were dismissed. I have crossed into Canada several times since without incident, but one night I got taken aside at the border. They quietly sat me in a chair to wait. After 30 minutes they called me over, asked me about 5 minutes of questions, and let me continue on my way. It was embarrassing and annoying, but not a show stopper. From this whole affair I learned that unsettled charges and convictions will bar admission. If you have proof of a settlement not resulting in conviction then things can go relatively smoothly.