• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend March 4-6 2016

Madroch

Jay was sweet today- save the wind holds on tram and flyer- woods were buttery with probably 4" fresh fallingImageUploadedByTapatalk1457408536.852327.jpg

Jcb890

Mount Snow was a blast on Sunday. Conditions were great overall, but there were certainly patches of ice here and there. There were minimal lift lines all day. Grand Summit Express was ski-on almost all day while the Bluebird had at max 1-2 rows of people waiting to get into the lift line.

Stayed away from Sunbrook as only having 1 open trail over there makes it get ski'd off real quick and the lift is slow as hell. Stayed away from the North Face also as the snow was ski'd off over there for the most part, even 1st thing in the AM.

drjeff

Mount Snow was a blast on Sunday. Conditions were great overall, but there were certainly patches of ice here and there. There were minimal lift lines all day. Grand Summit Express was ski-on almost all day while the Bluebird had at max 1-2 rows of people waiting to get into the lift line.

Stayed away from Sunbrook as only having 1 open trail over there makes it get ski'd off real quick and the lift is slow as hell. Stayed away from the North Face also as the snow was ski'd off over there for the most part, even 1st thing in the AM.

The weather was mighty good on Sunday for sure! The type of day where my wife and I chose to ride the Grandsummit a few times, even though as you noted the Bluebird line was minimal, and we even rode the Sunbrook Quad twice! :eek: OK, the main reason we rode Sunbrook Quad twice was that given the race schedule our kids have this weekend, and tentatively next weekend as well, it's likely Easter Weekend before we get back to out home hill, and we're pretty sure that Sunbrook will be closed for the season by then given what it looks like mother nature is going to continue doing to us, and the amount of base back there - it's a decent, but not huge amount of base there

Jcb890

The weather was mighty good on Sunday for sure! The type of day where my wife and I chose to ride the Grandsummit a few times, even though as you noted the Bluebird line was minimal, and we even rode the Sunbrook Quad twice! :eek: OK, the main reason we rode Sunbrook Quad twice was that given the race schedule our kids have this weekend, and tentatively next weekend as well, it's likely Easter Weekend before we get back to out home hill, and we're pretty sure that Sunbrook will be closed for the season by then given what it looks like mother nature is going to continue doing to us, and the amount of base back there - it's a decent, but not huge amount of base there

Two of my favorite trails are the two Dippers on the Sunbrook side and I'm pretty sure neither trail has opened all season as they don't make snow on them. They'll groom them, but they don't blow snow on those couple of trails on Sunbrook.

Long John was in good shape most of the day, but was quite icy the last time down it around 3:30.
The consensus best snow and trail(s) of the day was over to the left-hand side of the mountain if you're looking down from the summit - Cascade, Snowdance, Canyon, etc. - those trails were great from start to finish when I did my last run at 3:55ish though it was certainly getting ski'd off in some areas, especially at the top.

drjeff

Two of my favorite trails are the two Dippers on the Sunbrook side and I'm pretty sure neither trail has opened all season as they don't make snow on them. They'll groom them, but they don't blow snow on those couple of trails on Sunbrook.

Long John was in good shape most of the day, but was quite icy the last time down it around 3:30.
The consensus best snow and trail(s) of the day was over to the left-hand side of the mountain if you're looking down from the summit - Cascade, Snowdance, Canyon, etc. - those trails were great from start to finish when I did my last run at 3:55ish though it was certainly getting ski'd off in some areas, especially at the top.

The Dippers haven't been open all season, and my wife especially is bemoaning that fact as they're some of her favorite trails just to relax and cruise on and take in the views down the Deerfield Valley. She is super optimistic that in the next 2 weeks it's going to start snowing heavily and that they'll be open for Easter :rolleyes: :lol: Those are also 2 trails that I am eagerly awaiting the snowmaking expansion in the next couple of seasons that will get them some snowmaking coverage and way more dependable snow conditions to enjoy!

Jcb890

The Dippers haven't been open all season, and my wife especially is bemoaning that fact as they're some of her favorite trails just to relax and cruise on and take in the views down the Deerfield Valley. She is super optimistic that in the next 2 weeks it's going to start snowing heavily and that they'll be open for Easter :rolleyes: :lol: Those are also 2 trails that I am eagerly awaiting the snowmaking expansion in the next couple of seasons that will get them some snowmaking coverage and way more dependable snow conditions to enjoy!

I didn't think they had opened at all, but I didn't go at all early in the season and the people at Mount Snow I spoke to said they were not sure. Every time I've taken the Sunbrook chair up I just look over to my left and see those sad trails with no snow on them and it makes me a little sad. Even when the rest of the mountain is busy and there's lines for the Grand Summit and Bluebird, Sunbrook is usually ski-on for the chair so I like that a lot about it. The snow tends to stay better over there due to less traffic. However, with just basically having 1 trail over there this season, it hasn't been worth it to go over there.

Well, at least she's remaining positive, gotta give that to her, so kudos to Mrs. DrJeff. Overall, I think Snow does a great job making snow and taking care of their snow. Adding in more snowmaking capacity can only be a good thing though, that's for sure.

I'm also a big fan of Olympic over on the North Face, but I've only seen that opened on 1 of the days I have been there.

Madroch

K was soft and sweet everywhere... Unbelievable what 50 can do for a mountain.. Lots of trail openings throughout the day

Jcb890

K was actually excellent Mon. & Tues. I was wondering what the heck you were talking about. Today (Wed) was to warm. Mountain lost a lot of snow in just one day.

How much is a lot? We've got a trip planned to ride the 19th and 20th, but I'm seeing pretty warm temps for extended forecasts. How did their bases look today?

steamboat1

How much is a lot? We've got a trip planned to ride the 19th and 20th, but I'm seeing pretty warm temps for extended forecasts. How did their bases look today?

Lets just say that some of the naturals I skied yesterday were brown today. Even some of the snowmaking trails were on their last leg (Upper Bitter, lower Wildfire for example).

JDMRoma

K was actually excellent Mon. & Tues. I was wondering what the heck you were talking about. Today (Wed) was to warm. Mountain lost a lot of snow in just one day.

Brutal = no fucking snow ! Boilerplate and hard as a fucking rock !

How's that ?? I skied all over and everyone that was present had the same thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Jcb890

Is it going to be worth going to K for the weekend next week? I like spring conditions, but if there's not a whole lot of trails open, the rest of my family probably isn't going to be thrilled.

JDMRoma

Is it going to be worth going to K for the weekend next week? I like spring conditions, but if there's not a whole lot of trails open, the rest of my family probably isn't going to be thrilled.

It's warm enough and you'll certainly have spring conditions. As for trail count I don't think you'll find anyone with more trails.
My Sunday experience was most likely from not being warm enough to soften things up. Plenty warm now

Jcb890

It's warm enough and you'll certainly have spring conditions. As for trail count I don't think you'll find anyone with more trails.
My Sunday experience was most likely from not being warm enough to soften things up. Plenty warm now

Not worried about the snow being too hard. It isn't supposed to get back down below the 40's according to extended forecasts. I'm more worried about snow coverage and their base holding up to the heat.

steamboat1

Brutal = no fucking snow ! Boilerplate and hard as a fucking rock !

How's that ?? I skied all over and everyone that was present had the same thoughts.

I'm not saying you were wrong. I heard the same thing from people who were there over the weekend. All I'm saying is was vastly improved Mon./Tues. The same people I spoke with agreed.

JDMRoma

I'm not saying you were wrong. I heard the same thing from people who were there over the weekend. All I'm saying is was vastly improved Mon./Tues. The same people I spoke with agreed.

Sorry ya I didn't want you to think I was bashing K ! Glad it improved for you on Monday. Some of my best days this season were there !

Los

Not worried about the snow being too hard. It isn't supposed to get back down below the 40's according to extended forecasts. I'm more worried about snow coverage and their base holding up to the heat.

Exactly - it's 24 hr above freezing temps from here on out.

chuckstah

Outer limits screenshot. Not good. Skyship and. Sunrise closed for the season. Bear can't be far behind. No spring pass for me this year.

Attachments

• 1457649851019.jpg
    1457649851019.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 23

Kleetus

Torn on where to head this weekend. Have 3 ski vt passes left and heading to vt regardless. Already used passes at Sugarbush and Killington. Unfortunately will lose out on the fifth pass since I can't get off work to take a long weekend.

Thinking Stowe Saturday and Okemo or Mt Snow on Sunday, or Okemo/Mt. Snow. I would def bank on Stowe but it's 5.5 hr drive and I won't get out of work until late tomorrow.

I'm not a huge fan of Mt. Snow or Okemo but shorter drive there and back.
I would do Jay but that's an even longer haul and I only have Sat and Sun unfortunately.

Suggestions anyone?

chuckstah

You have it about right. Stowe and another big snow maker. Maybe add Stratton into the mix