• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

sundown 2/13

2knees

Date(s) Skied: 2/13

Resort or Ski Area: sundown

Conditions: cement bumps

Trip Report: i'll make this quick as i feel weird putting this above a trip to colorado. Noreaster is rock rock rock solid. If you hit those bumps with a sledge hammer, you wouldnt make a dent. I can understand why they are looking to mow em and start over. Got about 15 runs in, but honestly, they are so very setup it was getting painful to carry any real speed. I couldnt figure out at first why the bottom line hurt like hell. Each trough was like jumping off your car roof onto the driveway with no shoes. I finally stopped and looked at it. The backsides have no snow and complete ice showing. Actually, not ice, but like ice cubes. weird shit. i've never seen anything like it.

bvibert

Staff member
Sorry I missed you Pat. I heard someone was looking for me, I assume that was you. I was on skis by 8 and skied till 10...

Greg

Staff member
Well, it's comforting to know the bumps were that bad so it probably makes sense to mow them down and start over anyway. Doesn't quite look like they are going to get the 1' top coat of natural snow today however... :evil: :-? :angry:

bvibert

Staff member
I actually didn't think the bumps were that much different than the last time I skied them. I was able to handle them pretty well last night. I did bump my knuckle on the back side of one of the ice moguls at the bottom, so I know what Pat means. The bottom section of the Ex bumps is in even worse shape then that last time I was there though. I hope they did some work on those too.

Hopefully it changes back to snow today sooner than later and we get good cover over night tonight...

One thing that's good about the weather is that it made it easier for me to head into work and not to the slopes instead... ;)

Greg

Staff member
I did bump my knuckle on the back side of one of the ice moguls at the bottom
Hands up! ;)

Hopefully it changes back to snow today sooner than later and we get good cover over night tonight...
If we pick up at least 3-4" later today/tonight, I might still try them out tomorrow...

bvibert

Staff member
Hands up! ;)

They were up, it was the backside of one of those 5 foot drop bumps. I got bumped into the side of it while I was going past it.

If we pick up at least 3-4" later today/tonight, I might still try them out tomorrow...

I was thinking the same thing.

Greg

Staff member

I was thinking the same thing.

I'm out for tomorrow. My daughters' day care was closed today so I'm home again and will have to put in a full day tomorrow. I might be able to negotiate tonight, but only if the changeover happens this afternoon and we pick up some measurable snow.

2knees

I actually didn't think the bumps were that much different than the last time I skied them. I was able to handle them pretty well last night. I did bump my knuckle on the back side of one of the ice moguls at the bottom, so I know what Pat means. The bottom section of the Ex bumps is in even worse shape then that last time I was there though. I hope they did some work on those too.

One thing that's good about the weather is that it made it easier for me to head into work and not to the slopes instead... ;)

I agree they were almost exactly the same in size, shape, line consistency etc. But they are set up completely and totally. there is no give whatsoever to them. Honestly, they need to blow some serious snow on them. I dont think they really need to mow em down, as what is there is a solid start but even just a top coat wont cure what ails them. they need to be buried.

JimG.

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: 2/13

Resort or Ski Area: sundown

Conditions: cement bumps

Trip Report: i'll make this quick as i feel weird putting this above a trip to colorado. Noreaster is rock rock rock solid. If you hit those bumps with a sledge hammer, you wouldnt make a dent. I can understand why they are looking to mow em and start over. Got about 15 runs in, but honestly, they are so very setup it was getting painful to carry any real speed. I couldnt figure out at first why the bottom line hurt like hell. Each trough was like jumping off your car roof onto the driveway with no shoes. I finally stopped and looked at it. The backsides have no snow and complete ice showing. Actually, not ice, but like ice cubes. weird shit. i've never seen anything like it.

The "weird shit" is the death cookie snow that was plowed up to make the piles that became bumps. This is the reason I prefer seeded lines made with stubbies...none of that chopped up crap that gets scraped out if they don't repeatedly re-blow the lines.

bvibert

Staff member
I agree they were almost exactly the same in size, shape, line consistency etc. But they are set up completely and totally. there is no give whatsoever to them. Honestly, they need to blow some serious snow on them. I dont think they really need to mow em down, as what is there is a solid start but even just a top coat wont cure what ails them. they need to be buried.

I don't think I noticed as much since I tend to ski around the bumps instead of blowing across the tops like you do. As a result I don't ski them nearly as fast as you either. The few turns I took that resulted in becoming air-borne definitely had rather firm landings that hurt.

2knees

The "weird shit" is the death cookie snow that was plowed up to make the piles that became bumps. This is the reason I prefer seeded lines made with stubbies...none of that chopped up crap that gets scraped out if they don't repeatedly re-blow the lines.

i know what you are referring to but that wasnt it. The back sides were smooth as a baby's arse, but ice. I mean ICE. they actually looked like big ice cubes. you could see the snow cover the face and it had like a 1 inch deep fracture on the back and just pure, almost clear ice. Its from people continually sliding sideways down the last section where it gets a bit steeper and the bumps are actually real deep. there are some bumps higher up that have exactly what you are talking about but it wasnt an issue, for whatever reason.

JimG.

Staff member
i know what you are referring to but that wasnt it. The back sides were smooth as a baby's arse, but ice. I mean ICE. they actually looked like big ice cubes. you could see the snow cover the face and it had like a 1 inch deep fracture on the back and just pure, almost clear ice. Its from people continually sliding sideways down the last section where it gets a bit steeper and the bumps are actually real deep. there are some bumps higher up that have exactly what you are talking about but it wasnt an issue, for whatever reason.

I know exactly what you mean...and that ice is the scraped down remnants of death cookies. Scraped by skiers repeatedly turning down those faces. When they pile up snow to make the bumps, it melts a bit because of the increased surface area, then refreezes as a solid ball. Shave it down with ski edges and you get solid ice.