• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Free bag checks..... Why don't some people use them????

Hawkshot99

This really ticks me off. Ski Key is a great concept, and 100% protects your gear.

The Ski Key racks used to be at just about every mountain, but they're either disappearing, or are declining. I noticed a few years ago Jay Peak got rid of them, which was doubly stupid because Jay Peak doesn't have anywhere near enough ski racks to begin with.

The guy who owns ski key sells the racks to the mtn for a very expensive price. Or he will give them free of charge, but then controls the advertisement signs on top of them. He is not the easiest person to deal with...

hammer

You can pop the locks open with 1 hand with minimal effort. Looks just like you are pushing in the button to open the lock and takes just as long.

Back when I ran a shop on mtn, the ski lock companies would warrenty ANY lock we told them we had, because we sold so many. I had several instances where a person bought a lock in the AM and later in the day they forgot there combo, or it would freeze shut. I could go out to "look" at the lock with the customer. In 1 motion it was unlocked, I would apologize to the person and hand them a new lock. Then have the lock company warranty the broken lock. None of the people ever noticed how I opened it up, and they were standing right next to me.

Why would a thief take a certain pair of locked skiis? Maybe that is a ski they know they can easily sell.

Not sure what brand you were selling but I just tried mine and I couldn't just pop the lock open. Guessing either there's a technique to it or there was a vulnerability in the brand of locks you sold...of course, I wasn't looking to break my lock either...

Domeskier

If it was they never came forward with the skis...which is the same as stealing.

I'll just stick with my cheapo ski cable lock, has worked fine for me so far.

Just wondering if maybe they returned them to the rental shop completely oblivious to the mistake. I guess they number them to prevent such mishaps. I would probably lock my skis too if that ever happened to me.

SIKSKIER

The guy who owns ski key sells the racks to the mtn for a very expensive price. Or he will give them free of charge, but then controls the advertisement signs on top of them. He is not the easiest person to deal with...

I think the point was these racks were already in a lot of ski areas and are now gone.I've never seen ads on any that I used.

Scruffy

This issue really burns me. Sugarbush has ample free bag storage rooms on both levels of the gatehouse lodge. There also lockers where for a nominal charge items can be locked up. There are also larger lockers in the schoolhouse building. There are signs in the cafeteria asking that bags be stored in the bag storage rooms and not by the tables. and yet, there are some who ignore all this and leave their shit all over the place. Its mostly kids coming on bus trips.
Earlier this season, I kind of lost it and gave it to this kid. I came into the lodge and it was almost full and yet there was a whole table (8 seats) covered in bags and gear stuff. I asked the people seated at the next table if there was anyone there and they said no, that the kids just left their stuff and hadnt been there for a long time. So I moved the stuff to the end of the table so I could use half of it. About 20 minutes later, a kid comes in and says who moved my stuff, which was a bad bad move on his part. I asked why he thought it was OK to use a whole table when the cafeteria is full and people need places to sit and eat, and there is a big room with shelves 30 feet away with a sign that says bag storage. I went off on him a bit, but i think deservedly so. needless to say, he and his crew quickly gathered their stuff and moved it to bad storage room.

Then you went off on him just the right amount.

AdironRider

Man shit like this is why I like skiing out West better than back East.

The fact that people get butthurt enough to call people out because of bags being in their way says a lot about the person doing the call out. You let a bag ruin your day. Hate to see what it would be like when a justifiable happens.

Its a communal lodge. Other peoples things might be in your way from time to time. It was said earlier, but that is skiing the east.

hammer

The fact that people get butthurt enough to call people out because of bags being in their way says a lot about the person doing the call out. You let a bag ruin your day. Hate to see what it would be like when a justifiable happens.

Its a communal lodge. Other peoples things might be in your way from time to time. It was said earlier, but that is skiing the east.
What do people do out west? Just move the stuff and not say anything?

HowieT2

I'm sorry, next time maybe I should sit on the floor and eat so as not to disturb the kids
First of all, I dont know where you ski or the situation in the lodge, but where I was, there are multiple dedicated bag storage rooms, one of which was not more than 30 feet from the table. There are also signs asking that people not leave their bags on or under the tables. furthermore, I did move the stuff over before I said anything to the kid, and it wasnt until he asked indignantly why his stuff was moved, that I let him have it. So I fail to see how I'm out of line for telling someone to follow the rules and etiquette existing.

and I didnt get "butthurt" or "let a bag ruin my day", I simply educated a ignorant youth about the social rules pretty much every one else follows.

AdironRider

You went off on a kid being a kid. I never said he was right, but you did let a bag get to you.

I did used to get pissed at the Moms who thought it was their sole purpose in life to take over entire tables for hours on end, because their kids will be right in. Of course they will.

BenedictGomez

The only thing about Ski Key that annoyed me, is 2 years ago I was at Shawnee, and I was puzzled why my Ski Key wasnt fitting. I realized the size of the weld was altered on the racks I found there, and that they were selling a new key. Clearly a "sell new keys to people who already have them" play, or at least that's what I assume. Funny thing is that's the only resort I've seen the oddly sized Ski Key racks at, so I almost wonder if it was an experiment on their part.

I think the point was these racks were already in a lot of ski areas and are now gone.

Correct. Like Jay Peak. Gone.

And as of last year, Gore only had about 4 racks left, etc....

I've never seen ads on any that I used.

I have. Blue Mountain. I'm sure others too, but marketing efforts are typically lost on me.

Scruffy

You went off on a kid being a kid. I never said he was right, but you did let a bag get to you.

I did used to get pissed at the Moms who thought it was their sole purpose in life to take over entire tables for hours on end, because their kids will be right in. Of course they will.

He educated a kid, because, obviously their parents weren't doing it. He got his point across and the kids compiled. No kids were hurt in that exercise. Consider it a public service. Now, for you, you're being somewhat hypocritical calling HT2 out for being all butthurt while admitting your own problems with East coast Moms and their table territorial habits. What's a matter, being a ski bum in J-Hole is not enough excitement for you.

AdironRider

He educated a kid, because, obviously their parents weren't doing it. He got his point across and the kids compiled. No kids were hurt in that exercise. Consider it a public service. Now, for you, you're being somewhat hypocritical calling HT2 out for being all butthurt while admitting your own problems with East coast Moms and their table territorial habits. What's a matter, being a ski bum in J-Hole is not enough excitement for you.

Some random older guy dressing down a kid is never a good look. Thats just my opinion.

I would argue there is a difference between talking about annoyances and acting out on it. Most people aren't compelled to educate everyone about what annoys them. Do you do that? I don't.

You might consider it public service, but others might consider that given the kid came up to the guy while he was still there, it kind of implies he wasn't actually gone that long. I've waited in lunch lines at Whiteface, and Cannon for a good 20 minutes before easy. I would imagine its worse at other places that get more skier visits.

Either way, what public service was actually provided when two me first types get in a pissing match?

And, to bring it back to my very first comment, this is a prime reason why I like it better out here than back there. We don't even have a day lodge here in Jackson. Its great.

cdskier

You might consider it public service, but others might consider that given the kid came up to the guy while he was still there, it kind of implies he wasn't actually gone that long.

Howie asked the people in the area and they already said the kids had been gone a while. Not sure how someone coming back while someone else is sitting there has any relation to how long that person was gone.

Either way, what public service was actually provided when two me first types get in a pissing match?

Not sure I understand how Howie was a "me first type" in this scenario. People ignored signs that say don't leave bags on tables and Howie moved them out of the way. Then the person comes back and says "who moved my bags?" when they were clearly in the wrong so Howie points out the rules and Howie has a "me first" type attitude?

I continue to not understand why people think they can "reserve" tables with bags for as long as they want. Tables are yours when you're sitting at them...otherwise they are shared with whoever comes along next.

This is kind of similar to how people will leave their skis on the ground when there are perfectly good racks to lean your skis on right there. Sugarbush this year put out signs saying don't leave your skis on the ground and actually had staff moving any skis left on the ground to racks. Personally I'd have staff do the same thing in the lodges with bags left around and move them all if left unattended.

Scruffy

Some random older guy dressing down a kid is never a good look. Thats just my opinion.

Happens all the time, that's called life lessons. Kids learn more hard lessons from other adults than their own parents - it takes a village. Heavens forbid they wait until they get into the work force before an adult, other than their parent, has a stern talking with them. Having said that, neither you nor I was actually there, so we have no idea what transpired, so it's a little ridiculous for both of us to speculate.

I will agree there is no day lodge at J-hole, but when I ski there I know where to squirrel away a transpack or two ;-)

chuckstah

Fitst time out west, early 80's. Met up with high school friend living in Breck. As we got to Copper he parked, got out and started booting up. I was confused. Why were we not going to the lodge?? As it turned out the lift was right there as was a small ticket window. Havnt booted up in many lodges since. It was an awakening for sure. And then the soft bumps. Holy shit!