summer weekend getaways - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpsis View Post
    VT is the place to be in summer. You can find so many unique things to enjoy and it's not really crowded.
    + 1 on VT n the summer

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    + 1 on VT n the summer
    Why Vermont over other parts of New England? What does it offer that I can't get elsewhere?

If you're after hiking, rock climbing, kayaking, rafting, etc there are much better options in New Hampshire and Maine.

Yes, it is not as crowded. That is one nice feature, but I think that is because it has less to offer. The most visited tourist attraction in the state is the Ben and Jerry's factory. That speaks volumes.
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

Quote Originally Posted by yeggous View Post
    Why Vermont over other parts of New England? What does it offer that I can't get elsewhere?

If you're after hiking, rock climbing, kayaking, rafting, etc there are much better options in New Hampshire and Maine.

Yes, it is not as crowded. That is one nice feature, but I think that is because it has less to offer. The most visited tourist attraction in the state is the Ben and Jerry's factory. That speaks volumes.
    There are some interesting surprises on the list. Since its behind a paywall, here's the summary:
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...KeM/story.html

Massachusetts:
    1) Freedom Trail, Boston
    2) Fenway Park, Boston
    3) Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

New Hampshire:
    1) Kancamagus Highway
    2) Conway Scenic Railroad, North Conway
    3) Mt Washington Cog Railway, Bretton Woods

Vermont:
    1) Ben & Jerry's Factory, Waterbury
    2) Shelburne Museum, Shelburne
    3) Recreation Path, Stowe

Maine:
    1) Marginal Way, Ogunquit Beach
    2) Cadillac Mountain, Acadia National Park
    3) Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, Boothbay

Connecticut:
    1) Mystic Seaport, Mystic
    2) Mystic Aquarium, Mystic
    3) Mohegan Sun, Uncasville

Rhode Island:
    1) Cliff Walk, Newport
    2) Newport Mansions, Newport
    3) RiverFire, Providence

I am surprised the Conway Scenic Railroad made the list but Hampton Beach did not. And the cog railway being more popular than the auto road. In retrospect, that is about all the surprised me from that list.
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

Quote Originally Posted by yeggous View Post

VT towns = much quainter than NH with better dining and a far better beer seen.

Better hiking in NH for sure. Lots of great boating, easier access to Boston in NH too, hence more crowds. The big difference in summer in VT compared to winter is the amount of visitors from the NYC market plummets. They all go to the shore and aren't willing to make the long ass drive so frequently because they don't get rewarded with superior ski resorts to those close to home.

Basically if you take all the reasons you seemingly prefer NH in winter over VT and flip it for the summer, that's where VT bests NH IMO.

Acadia/Bar Harbor area is one of my favorite ME destinations....Lots of outdoor activities: camping, hiking, biking, paddling, ocean & lake beaches, touristy attractions (restaurants/shops/sight seeing activities). While that area can get busy in the summertime, there are spots on MDI to escape the crowds (i.e. Southwest Harbor).

Another place to consider is Maine Huts & Trails in Carrabbassett Valley (Sugarloaf area)....If you are really looking to get away & "unplug", I strongly urge you to consider planning a trip in the Western ME mountains and utilizing these huts. These huts are totally off the grid top notch with all the amenities in some amazing settings. Check out the link below if you are interested & contact the office as they are very helpful in helping to plan a trip & itinerary. Very easy to use these "huts" as a home base to do some outdoor activities around kayaking/paddling, white water rafting, hiking, fly fishing, and mountain biking. Also, the mountain biking scene has really taken off in CV....Over the last few years the town has invested heavily with money/resources/trail building & its quickly becoming one of the "goto" MTB spots in NE...There are well over 100 miles of trails to ride.

http://www.mainehuts.org/

More info on MTB trails:
    http://carrabassett.nemba.org/

Check out Warren/Waistfield/Fayston in Vermont in the summer also. Tons of great Swimming holes with huge rocks to jump from, great beer, a few good restaurants. I own a camp up there that isn't winterized yet (will be next year) then i'll be a full time vacationer.

I'm from Maine also and i love all of new england.. But this area of vermont is exceptional. Definitely not overbuilt like the Stowe area (which i also like to a point).

Ya just can't go wrong even if you wing it and just go on an adventure anywhere in New England.

Quote Originally Posted by skiMEbike View Post
    Acadia/Bar Harbor area is one of my favorite ME destinations....Lots of outdoor activities: camping, hiking, biking, paddling, ocean & lake beaches, touristy attractions (restaurants/shops/sight seeing activities). While that area can get busy in the summertime, there are spots on MDI to escape the crowds (i.e. Southwest Harbor).

Another place to consider is Maine Huts & Trails in Carrabbassett Valley (Sugarloaf area)....If you are really looking to get away & "unplug", I strongly urge you to consider planning a trip in the Western ME mountains and utilizing these huts. These huts are totally off the grid top notch with all the amenities in some amazing settings. Check out the link below if you are interested & contact the office as they are very helpful in helping to plan a trip & itinerary. Very easy to use these "huts" as a home base to do some outdoor activities around kayaking/paddling, white water rafting, hiking, fly fishing, and mountain biking. Also, the mountain biking scene has really taken off in CV....Over the last few years the town has invested heavily with money/resources/trail building & its quickly becoming one of the "goto" MTB spots in NE...There are well over 100 miles of trails to ride.

http://www.mainehuts.org/

More info on MTB trails:
    http://carrabassett.nemba.org/
    The Western Maine Mountains, especially the Whites that are in Maine are great. Less crowded and just as wonderful as the NH whites during the summer. Evans Notch is a great place to go.

That sounds good

Thread Information