• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alta with BenedictGomez and GF: Mar. 25, 2016

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: March 25, 2016

Resort: Alta

Weather: Snow and cold with highs in the low 20's

Conditions: Midwinter conditions; 380" for the season; 108" base

Report: As has been tradition for me since 2009, I took Good Friday off in part to "Ski for Jesus" as I say. Seriously though it is a nice day to reflect on life and how lucky I am to be able to enjoy the mountains and ski. Today was an Alta Day....or as I told BenedictGomez, a classic Alta day with nice snow and more coming from the sky. It didn't really pile up much, but it was 3" or so during the day and made the skiing great.

I arrived at about 8:50 and got booted up for first chair. I took two quick spins on the Collins Side groomers to get my legs set and then headed over to Sugarloaf to do some quick spins on Elbow and Extrovert before the holiday masses chewed them up. Almost every lift ride had someone from back east out skiing. Amazing.

Now it was time to head up to Supreme. First spin was down No. 9 Express that was groomed and had some nice fresh snow on top. After that it was all about Catherine's for me. First was a spin down So Long that had great drifted snow. It skied like January. I had to go back and hit the trees on Sunset Hill to find untracked snow that made me grin under my goggles.

At this point it was just shy of noon and I was hungry. I had suggested to BG that he try Watson Shelter and decided to go there myself. After exchanging texts, BG found me and I got to know him and his GF.

They put the reins in my hand and I hope that I showed them some good stuff. We did Extrovert and Razorback before heading over to Supreme to do Upper Big Dipper, Sleepy Hollow, 3 Bears, and some tasty tree shots here and there. We did a quick spin on Cecret lift, again jumping in and out of the trees. Satisfied with having hit this side, which was getting skied off, we headed back to Collins side where BG and I dove into Spruces right under Collins before working in and out of the trees on Spring Valley and ending up on the lowest part of Lone Pine for some steep bumps. We wrapped it up on Wildcat with BG's GF tearing down Aggie's Alley while BG and I skied the variable powder/"potato chip" like cover in Johnson's Warm-Up.

We enjoyed some apres and talking with some folks who were also visiting from the east.

Nice to ski with BG and hope that his vacation is going well--I know he is up in PC now and will be doing an impressive tour of the area.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Some pics.

The morning line-up:

ry%3D400

First spin down Supreme:

ry%3D400

Ready for lift-off:

ry%3D400

So Long:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Nice turns:

ry%3D400

The man, the legend, Benedict Gomez in Spruces:

ry%3D400

ry%3D480

4aprice

Awesome. Looks like a great spring to be out there and every things in play. A great day to play around in the Utah trees. Love the photo of Wildcat, good old time west.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

snoseek

I sure could go for some utah! If for some reason it comes in good in late april or early may im driving up from moab.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

jimk

I skied Snowbird today. There is more snow now than my last visit Mar 4-14.

Red Lens Line off Gad 2 chair, my buddy Albuquerque Bill:
LL

This guy is staying in LCC for 25 straight days!!!
LL

Sorry, don't mean to hijack thread. Just impressed with current fine conditions in LCC. Going to Alta on Saturday.

Last edited:

Quietman

So that is what fresh snow lots like? I remember seeing something like that but I can't remember when.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I skied Snowbird today. There is more snow now than my last visit Mar 4-14.

Red Lens Line off Gad 2 chair, my buddy Albuquerque Bill:
LL

This guy is staying in LCC for 25 straight days!!!
LL

Sorry, don't mean to hijack thread. Just impressed with current fine conditions in LCC. Going to Alta on Saturday.

:lol: I passed you guys this afternoon at the top of Gad 2.

jimk

I almost called out "trailboss", because I saw someone that looked like your avatar. Are you about 6'2"?? I'm usually not shy about that kind of thing, but must have got intimidated by your big stature:dunce:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I almost called out "trailboss", because I saw someone that looked like your avatar. Are you about 6'2"?? I'm usually not shy about that kind of thing, but must have got intimidated by your big stature:dunce:

:lol: 5'11" :eek:

Hope you had a great day. The fog made things interesting. But I just went for the trees. Gad 2 has a lot of good stuff. I could probably spend a week skiing at Snowbird and still find new stuff I have not skied.