• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowbird, March 31, 2016 (Lunch Trip to the Gad 2 Gym)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Resort: Snowbird

Date: March 31, 2016

Conditions: Deep Powder, Chowder

Weather: Cloudy with fog and snow, temps in low 30's

Report: We got about two feet of snow over the past few days and the photos from Alta and Snowbird were making me eager to get out. Working only 12 miles from Snowbird, and within sight of Hidden peak on a clear day, I decided to "take a lunchbreak" at the Gad-2 Gym. My doctor wife has encouraged me to do more cardio, so what better?

I was able to get up there in about 20 minutes and got rockstar parking at noon. The clouds were pretty low making visibility pretty bad for the upper mountain. So my game plan was to do a couple on Gad-2 and then go to Wilbere. Well, the trees were where you wanted to be so I lapped Gad-2 for about 90 minutes cranking out 7 or so runs and clocking about 8,000 vertical feet.

First run was down Bicarbonate Gully to Gad Gully. The snow was getting tracked out and bumpy. Next run was down Bananas where I found great soft snow on the sides but again uneven GS bumps more or less in the middle.

So it was time to go into the woods and I decided to do STH to Banana's Gully and Grandma's House. Bingo! Deep powder and deep chowder on the steep fall line made it delicious. This was what I was looking for so the next run took me to skier's right down the Broomstick and Stratton Grove to down to Dimple Dell, which was a new set of trees for me offering some nice lines almost to the lift base.

Next run was another creative one--hit the woods off of Bananas and was once again delighted to find good chowder. I decided to dive into the Turnardound Tree Gate and into Tiger Tail. More deep snow and great turns. I ended up on Ted's Bowl and decided to end with the same run but going down and out the Pearly Gates to the bottom. Amazing cover, deep chowder, and great turns.

All in all, a great workout at the Gad-2 gym on my lunchbreak. Looks like Deer Valley on Saturday. Pics coming soon.

snoseek

Whoa utah is going the fuck off right now!

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

Brad J

Pearly Gates is my favorite run at Snowbird, love the pictures, way more snow than in mid January when I was there.