Haystack / Hermitage news - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    Very interesting. It's situations like these why Act 250 was created in the first place. It sounds more like the Hermitage is screwing its self rather than the town government screwing them.
    2017-2018 3 Days and counting...
    Mount Snow: 11/12 Stratton: 11/22 Killington: 12/1
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Anecdotal things I have heard/noticed while up at Mount Snow the past few weeks and skiing/talking with friends who are Hermitage members, a Hermitage employee or 2, etc.

#1 - last week was the first week of junior race programs for Mount Snow proper. There are a number of young athletes, who raced for the Hermitage Team last year that are now racing for Mount Snow or the Mount Snow Academy (the Academy is a separate organization, not part of Mount Snow/Peak, and offers both weekend and full time training programs)

#2 - The Mount Snow Academy the last few seasons has had their training on the weekends (Fri - Sun) at The Hermitage during its operating season. The Academy full time boarding student athletes train at Mount Snow Tues - Thurs (they have Monday's off snow unless it's a powder day or a race day). The Academy is actively talking with Magic, Bromley and Berkshire East apparently to see if weekend training space for their athletes is a possibility for the season should the Hermitage not be available. There just isn't enough hill space, without significant trail closures at Mount Snow to have the mainly weekend based Mount Snow race program and the Mount Snow Academy programs, for both programs

#3 - the rumor mill stuff.... I have heard everything from the most dire (they'll be lucky to make it through Christmas week) to the "things will operate as usual" (that rumor is based on a rumor that multiple members will float the Hermitage a loan to meet their current tax obligations and short term operating costs so that the members won't see a decrease in their own equity that that put into the club as it navigates through this issue in front of them now...)

#4 - there does seem to be some consensus among many involved with the club, that there has been a poor line of communication between the club and its operations and it's members. This is why, among other reasons I'm sure, that there's plenty of speculation about what may happen, and no real plan in place right now.....
    Last edited by drjeff; Dec 6, 2017 at 11:04 AM.
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

'17 - '18 Season:
    November: 12,18,19,24,26 (Mount Snow)
    December: 2,3,10 (Mount Snow) 9 (Stratton)

When things start going wrong communication always trickles to a stop.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

Sounds like sooner or later this will be taken over by Peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Pez View Post
    Sounds like sooner or later this will be taken over by Peak.
    I don't see why peak would want haystack. When ASC had both it did not help out Mt snow in any way. It's not like Killington and Pico where they can be easily connected, and haystack was not a good enough of a mountain to be a stand alone hill. I see it being taken over by nelsap.

Did ACS have a reason pass like Peak that could be used at other areas? I feel like that changes the dynamic a bit. I don't know much about Haystack, I skied it a bit when i was a kid in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    I don't see why peak would want haystack. When ASC had both it did not help out Mt snow in any way. It's not like Killington and Pico where they can be easily connected, and haystack was not a good enough of a mountain to be a stand alone hill. I see it being taken over by nelsap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pez View Post
    Did ACS have a reason pass like Peak that could be used at other areas? I feel like that changes the dynamic a bit. I don't know much about Haystack, I skied it a bit when i was a kid in the 70's.
    Any ASC passes OR Mount Snow day tickets as I recall were valid at Haystack. The ASC passes, depending on their level and what year it was, were good at one time or another at Mount Snow, Haystack, Killington, Pico, Sugarbush, Waterville Valley, Cranmore, Attitash, Wildcat, Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Steamboat, CO, Heavenly, CA and The Canyons, UT. Much like the Hermitage's operating hours the last few season, ASC operated Haystack mainly on weekends and holiday weeks only (can't remember exactly if it was Fri- Sun or just Sat-Sun as the regular ASC operating days.....)

I wouldn't expect Peak to jump on The Hermitage should it go under. In the ASC days, there were significant permitting issues between the US Forest Service, the State of VT and some local land owners that prevented the expansion to connect the 2 along the roughly 2 miles of ridge line that separates them. And that was before all the additions that The Hermitage put in, all of the Hermitage's current tax issues and the ACT 250 issues they (The Hermitage) have incurred the last few years.

Plus Peak is already working on raising the $$ for the 2nd phase of their master plan for the redevelopment of the Sundance and Main Base areas of Mount Snow as well as some more on hill upgrades.

Lastly, while the writing on the wall looks ominous right now for the Hermitage, just remember that if they get 25 to 30 of their 600+ members to pay the $10k assessment, they'll be able to cover their tax issues, and I'm guessing that many of their members, who a good percentage of that I've encountered are in the finance world would see their own benefit in paying the $10k assessment so that their larger membership investment can retain some value still.... The Hermitage does have a decent number of members for whom writing a $10k check isn't a big deal at all, and for a few of the families that I know there that have kids in the race program, that $10k figure isn't far off of what they're annually spending on their kids race training and gear.....
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

'17 - '18 Season:
    November: 12,18,19,24,26 (Mount Snow)
    December: 2,3,10 (Mount Snow) 9 (Stratton)

I don't think Haystack could be operated successfully by Peaks in the same vain as Powdr runs Pico. Pico has some key differences from Killington that make it successful enough on its own to keep it profitable enough to stay open. Between Pico and Killington, Pico has some of the longest runs, bigger continuous vert, and some of the better natural classic trails and glades. Haystack doesn't really have anything better than Mount Snow terrain wise. I could see someone buying it just to grab and move the new lifts that have been built there in the last 5 years (1 bubble sixpack, 2 fixed quads), plus all the new snowguns.

pico also serves a fairly substantial local population being 15 minutes from rutland, which is basically the big city as far as Vermont is concerned.
    ~the stars turn, and a time presents itself~

Thread Information