Haystack / Hermitage news - Page 53

AlpineZone

Page 53 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Looks like some of the members are pushing to lease the ski area this winter to keep it operational.

https://vtdigger.org/2018/07/12/herm...or-ski-season/

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Looks like some of the members are pushing to lease the ski area this winter to keep it operational.

https://vtdigger.org/2018/07/12/herm...or-ski-season/
    Sad story. Hope they can operate this winter but that seems a tall task. And the white knight is nowhere to be seen.......

2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    Sad story. Hope they can operate this winter but that seems a tall task. And the white knight is nowhere to be seen.......
    I think the overall problem here is the property owner's / investors didn't properly vet Barnes and his plan. He was the White Knight providing this exclusive club that I totally get the appeal to; terrain inadequacy aside and if you could afford it. Barnes was a great salesman and bad operations guy. I'm not even sure a great operations guy could have made Haystack work.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I think the overall problem here is the property owner's / investors didn't properly vet Barnes and his plan. He was the White Knight providing this exclusive club that I totally get the appeal to; terrain inadequacy aside and if you could afford it. Barnes was a great salesman and bad operations guy. I'm not even sure a great operations guy could have made Haystack work.

It could have worked and still could work with the right person, Barnes was just horribly inept.

Seems like a pretty uphill battle for the members trying to lease it out for the winter, not only funding it as well as securing the equipment needed to operate when most every vendor in the industry is owed money, but also finding staff to work there.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post

Being sort of on the inside for the last full winter of operations back in 16/17, I remember almost daily conversations amongst us lower level employees about how much money was being left on the table. The office backend and leadership was a disaster in that regard. It was just a lack of real experience doing these jobs, you had a lot of people also on cruise control, people Barnes probably thought would excel but instead they all walked around like they had already achieved something and had been in the industry 45+ years. Having been at Mount Snow the year before, it was really obvious the major issues like this. Mountain ops seemed to run pretty well because they simply did what they needed to do and you knew to stay out of the way.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

Hope something can be done. The longer stuff sits, the more capital it'll take to get it up and running again.
    "I like homemade food. I just do."

Is the golf course being maintained - because those can go to hell very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by icecoast1 View Post
    It could have worked and still could work with the right person, Barnes was just horribly inept.

Seems like a pretty uphill battle for the members trying to lease it out for the winter, not only funding it as well as securing the equipment needed to operate when most every vendor in the industry is owed money, but also finding staff to work there.
    Can you name a private members only ski area that was/is successful?

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Can you name a private members only ski area that was/is successful?
    I do not know the details but my understanding is that Yellowstone Club is currently in good shape, but that of course is after the bankruptcy and fraud caused by the first developer (which after 10 years was resolved 6 months ago).

There apparently there's a new club in Colorado - Cimarron Mountain Club, Colorado.

And there's HoliMont, New York, though I believe they are open to the public during the week?
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    And there's HoliMont, New York, though I believe they are open to the public during the week?
    Correct, I skied there last year. Same deal with Hunt Hollow out that way. There are a load of successful private places. But almost all are low key compared to what the Hermitage was trying to do. Lots of surface lift only type places, and there's also a few up in Ontario with high speed lifts. Yellowstone, Holimont and Hermitage are the only privates that I can think of off hand in the US with high speeds.

Thread Information