• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak 2/14

Newpylong

Date(s) Skied: 2/14

Resort or Ski Area: Jiminy Peak

Conditions: Powdered Cement

Trip Report:

Well, once again another wet dream was screwed up at Jiminy. Good, I have your attention : )

I intended to head north a bit (45 mins) to Mt. Snow but after reaching the Vermont border around 7:45AM this morning, it was apparent I might get there if I am lucky, but not get home. I did a 180 and decided to use a free voucher I had at Jiminy. I shoulda went to work instead...

Got on the lift around 9am... first run down Whirlaway, second down Jericho... etc. The first few runs were great, about 6 inches of heavy stuff on top of chatteroy. A little tough, but good skiing nonetheless. Then the Sleet and wind picked up, and didn't stop. The snow became like cement - heavy powder with tons of sleet on top. A good way to bust a leg... I made the mistake of hiking to the triple and poaching Liftline (picture below). needless to say mowing the trail once in a while might help. It was impossible to link any decent turns with the shrubs and heavy snow... only one other track (from a border who hopped in halfway down). I don't think in the 20 years of skiing there I have ever had a good powder day... makes me miss Brodie.

I went in for lunch at 11 to warm up and was most likely going to leave after that. Before I had make my mind up totally, I noticed some snow actually had begun to fall, so I went out for more turns. Anything over on the West Wide of the mountain was horrible because of the wind... Grand Slam being the worst. The Foxes and Riptime not bad, being sheltered... North Glade not bad... I think Whitetail was in the best shape, Wild Turkey was good too. I think that has to be my favorite at Jiminy... has a little character in a class of straight boulevards.

Did I mention what pissed me off more than the snow was the lack of any chair other than the 6-Pack running. No Widow White? Unbelievably... I asked the attendant and he said wind. BS if you ask me, staffing more like it. If any lift is going to close due to wind, it would be the 6 pack... best day of the year and the whole section is closed. Also, as the Grand Slam chair and the Triple don't run midweek during the day... Ace of Spades and today (which I wanted to poach) John Hancock aren't options due to the hike... great setup there...

Well that's about it... I bet people have better luck elsewhere.

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
Freezing rain? Or sleet?

Greg

Staff member
threecy - did Beast hold on to predominantly snow? Totals?

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Ya, there was a very short mix of sleet but not full changeover...still snowing as I type, not sure how much we have as its blowing around...was about 15" a few hours ago...I think it'll end up being in the 18-24" range