• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowbird 04/04

4aprice

Anyone that knows Utah knows the most unforgiving mountain hands down is Snowbird. With that in mind we gave in to the boys wishes and went to Snowbird on Monday. The wife was on her 6th day, plus the lack of ski conditioning on the part of either of us and 2 days of pretty heavy snow it was probably not the best idea but we went for it anyway.

IMG_0978_1_.jpg

Good Morning Snowbird

Started on Gadzoom with the idea of hitting Gad II but found the snow pretty hard in that section so we came down lower and hit Wilbere for some creamy steep groomers which were fun while higher up started to thaw.

IMG_0981.jpg

We continued over to Peruvian where we did a t2b run before the boy ditched us at the tunnel. Then the wife and I did several more. But like I said we dialed it back (which allowed me to take more pictures). Eventually the as the snow got heavier the legs became deader. Had lunch and attempted a run afterwards but then opted for relaxing and tanning at Creekside in Adirondack chairs. Anyway here are some pictures to show the braun and the beauty of the bird.

IMG_0987_1_.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_09941.jpg

IMG_10011.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jimk

I'm following you around Alex, always a day late. I was at Snowbird today. Concrete almost everywhere. Finally about 2pm things started to thaw. Did some late laps on Peruvian and Wilbere chairs. They were the best of the day. Quit at 430pm. Tomorrow maybe a few hours at Park City, then fly home and my ski season is over.:sad:
You caught some widely varying snow, but pretty sunshine in beautiful mtn environment.
In a month or so I'll start thinking about next season. Ski fever is incurable:smile:

thetrailboss

Staff member
We likely passed each other, Alex. I ended up going on Sunday and Monday with two different groups. It was a nice couple days to be out there for sure!

4aprice

I'm following you around Alex, always a day late. I was at Snowbird today. Concrete almost everywhere. Finally about 2pm things started to thaw. Did some late laps on Peruvian and Wilbere chairs. They were the best of the day. Quit at 430pm. Tomorrow maybe a few hours at Park City, then fly home and my ski season is over.:sad:
You caught some widely varying snow, but pretty sunshine in beautiful mtn environment.
In a month or so I'll start thinking about next season. Ski fever is incurable:smile:

We likely passed each other, Alex. I ended up going on Sunday and Monday with two different groups. It was a nice couple days to be out there for sure!

One of these days we will catch up. I know my text got through to Jim but I'm not sure about you TB. Anyways its tough when you've got a household full of people all with different ideas of where they want to ski, plus purchasing tickets in advance to save $. Plans are to be in Utah again next March.

As of now I have changed venues. The wife had to go home and the boy has an appointment in Denver on Thursday so we flew out of SLC this morning and I'm up in Dillon Colorado right now. Hope to do A Basin tomorrow, Denver Thursday, Unknown Friday and closing out the season at Loveland Saturday before flying home. Both a Colorado and Utah trip are in the cards for next year (a Max Pass too).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jimk

Wow, UT and CO in same trip, nice. I did that back in late jan/early feb, but drove over from SLC to Aspen and back. Isn't too bad a drive (5-6 hours IIRC) in clear weather. "The Boy" sounds like mine. Will ski you into the ground if you let him :spin:

4aprice

Wow, UT and CO in same trip, nice. I did that back in late jan/early feb, but drove over from SLC to Aspen and back. Isn't too bad a drive (5-6 hours IIRC) in clear weather. "The Boy" sounds like mine. Will ski you into the ground if you let him :spin:

Yea he will. Keeps me on my toes and allows me to ski stuff I'm not so sure it wise to go down alone at my age. I've been really lucky over the last few years in that I ski with the wife in the morning or until she wears out then catch up with the boy for the good stuff later. Going to miss him when he leaves for Denver in August. The daughter is a good skier too just not as much of a go getter, time will tell if she can substitute for her brother.

The round trip to Salt Lake returning though Denver was not bad at all. Only like 60 dollars more per round trip and I would do it again.

Next year I hope we get out there when you go and meet up for some turns. Same applies if you ever come up Pocono or New England way.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

snoseek

The weather looks nice and unsettled coming up so im thinking about tuesday and wednesday at the bird. Sure will be a treat to get back there!

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

abc

The round trip to Salt Lake returning though Denver was not bad at all. Only like 60 dollars more per round trip and I would do it again.
I presume that's $60 extra for the flight? How about the rental car? Does picking up and dropping off at different airport cost you extra?

4aprice

I presume that's $60 extra for the flight? How about the rental car? Does picking up and dropping off at different airport cost you extra?

Renting cost alot more. Looked into it but the flight option was much cheaper and of course much faster. I'm all about touring the west and hitting multiple resorts on the way but not this past trip. Next year for the boy's spring break we will probably fly into Denver, drive to the family place in SLC (via Steamboat w/maxpass) and back to Denver (also via Steamboat) to fly home.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

snoseek

Tomorrow all over snowbird....600 miles of rain and snow coming across the desert makes for a good day upp in lcc

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

abc

Renting cost alot more. Looked into it but the flight option was much cheaper and of course much faster. I'm all about touring the west and hitting multiple resorts on the way but not this past trip. Next year for the boy's spring break we will probably fly into Denver, drive to the family place in SLC (via Steamboat w/maxpass) and back to Denver (also via Steamboat) to fly home.
I'm not sure I quite understanding...

Are you saying the flight to and from Denver is cheaper and faster than to SLC? But that doesn't help if you're flying one way into SLC and coming back from DEN. Especially with the one way car rental premium.

4aprice

I'm not sure I quite understanding...

Are you saying the flight to and from Denver is cheaper and faster than to SLC? But that doesn't help if you're flying one way into SLC and coming back from DEN. Especially with the one way car rental premium.

Looked into renting a car in Salt Lake and returning in Denver. Was cheaper to fly to Denver (NYC-SLC-Den-NYC) and rent in Denver for what we were doing in Colorado. Flights weren't the big deal though I don't remember what they wanted but the car rental was extremely expensive.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

abc

In February, I checked one way rental. It was very expensive ( compare to dropping the car back at the same airport). So I basically got stuck driving some extra hours just so I can drop the car off.

Looking forward to next year, I would love to be able to do NYC-SLC-DEN-NYC. But unless I can find rental car for more or less the same cost as pickup/return at the same airport, the extra cost from both flight & car would be too high to justify that "open-jaw" route.

4aprice

In February, I checked one way rental. It was very expensive ( compare to dropping the car back at the same airport). So I basically got stuck driving some extra hours just so I can drop the car off.

Looking forward to next year, I would love to be able to do NYC-SLC-DEN-NYC. But unless I can find rental car for more or less the same cost as pickup/return at the same airport, the extra cost from both flight & car would be too high to justify that "open-jaw" route.

Understand that when I'm in Utah I don't need a car, its a family connection. There is a 4 WD van in the garage at the condo and shuttles work well between the airport and there. So I'm not renting in each destination. I would love to drive and ski safari between Salt Lake and Denver but its expensive. (April's a great time as prices drop)

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

abc

I see.

Yeah, I tried. There's just no way to get one way from SLC to Denver without paying an arm and a leg. HAVE TO GO BACK!

4aprice

I see.

Yeah, I tried. There's just no way to get one way from SLC to Denver without paying an arm and a leg. HAVE TO GO BACK!

Next year we will have the boy in Denver. We are trying to work out, with a national company, a deal, where we trade my sons car in here in NJ and get a vehicle out there. Hope to get out to CO in Jan/early Feb for at least 4, then for his spring break fly to Denver, drive to SLC and back via Steamboat in each direction for another 10.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong NJ