• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bear (Highline) Mountain Mogul Challenge

JimG.

Staff member
Wow the hate here is tough to take. I'll bet half of those hating on this contest also are late season K customers.

OK for me it only reinforces my feeling the season is over for me. Nothing worse than a bunch of grouchy skiers.

steamboat1

I know... I guess the bands are playing on the back deck of the K1 lodge. The party area for the tents are from the back deck at the lodge to the Ski Club house (I think that's what it is) all the way to the bottom of Highline.

I actually think it will work out to be just fine.

Pretty sure the bands will be set up on the smaller deck outside the K lodge close to the u-bars (the smoking area). They erected a tent over that deck yesterday. Porta potties were placed outside lookers left of where the ice rink used to be outside the lodge. Problem with that is that area flooded yesterday with the rain & will likely be an ice rink again with the colder temperatures forecasted.

Don't think they'll be running duals on the course this year as it doesn't appear to be wide enough.

Going to be a great event. We built a course, little narrow, but duals should be crazy. Its been snowing nicely all day so all the brown is gone. Mother Nature makes the rules we have to live by them.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
They got two inches of snow yesterday and tonight (according to the snow report). That's gonna fill the bumps in nicely. Any less and it'd be scrubbed away after the first dozen runs. Any more and you'd get weird bump shapes.

Scruffy

I'm pretty sure I've heard that K rents their compressors and they have sent them all back in late Feb/early March, so they can't make snow right now. Can anyone confirm that?

chuckstah

K rents some, but owns plenty of power as well to blow whenever it's cold enough.

Newpylong

I'm pretty sure I've heard that K rents their compressors and they have sent them all back in late Feb/early March, so they can't make snow right now. Can anyone confirm that?

Like many mountains they have in house fixed electrics to augment the rental diesel units which typically go back end of February when big production ends.

steamboat1

If memory serves me right they had 8 rented diesel compressors at Snowshed along with 8 rented diesel compressors at Bear. Less than in the past when I think it was 12 & 12, low e guns have something to do with that. Not sure but I think their in house compressors are located behind the maintenance building at the back of the K-1 parking lot, might be some at Snowshed also, not sure if they're electric or diesel but I'd lean towards diesel since there are exhausts.