• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak 4-15-2016

bdfreetuna

This will be the last hurrah for the season.

Went up with my father and my wife. We had hoped for a little more open terrain but what we got was about half the mountain open. Most of the woods that were marked as open were roped off for some reason (well, for obvious reasons as it turns out), but we skied them anyway.

Groomed trails were butter. Most of the day was surfing in the sun. Blue skies and warm weather, zero lines for the tram.

Valhalla was a hit, even though we ducked a rope (it said it was open earlier, so wtf), and it was great in there. Basically all the woods were untracked dense spring snow. Slip and slide, real smooth going. Definitely obstacles to avoid in closed woods like Everglade, which required a bit of skiing through mud on the run out and also jumping some small spring streams.

Kitz Woods was also closed for no good reason but skied awesomely. All the trails off the Jet were butter. Kitzbuhel or whatever it's called was a mixed bag, we skied it early so half of it was icy the other half was soft.

Overall a great way to wrap up the season and finally come to terms with the fat lady's summer song. I have a few more pics I could post but why bother, it's a lot of bare ground and snow on some trails, partial coverage on others and full coverage on yet others. The woods varied from bare ground to definitely doable and fun.

Got a nice tan and now I'm ready for hiking season.

Switching over to hike reports now.

Josh, Peter, and Patricia

Winter2016-Jay.jpg

Sons of Thunder

Nice report and do you remember which trails still had full coverage? Would appreciate updates from anyone else that hits Jay Peak in the coming weeks. I'll be there on the 29th/30th to end the season!

Sons of Thunder

I see that the tram is now closed. So anyone looking to get to the upper mountain will have to go Stateside? Not sure why the top portion of Vermonter is shown as open when there's no way to get up there..

SkiRay

Nice report. It's amazing that they pulled off a season there considering how little it snowed.