• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Still Jonesin to Ski? Come to Snowbird.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Holy fuck, it snows in Utah in late April??? Its so unfortunate there isn't a place for you to talk about that other than a northeast skiing and snowboarding forum. I also heard it snows in the Southern Hemisphere during our summer. Not sure if it's true, those locals don't usually come here to tell us all about it.

You obviously are new to the place. I've been a member now for 12 years and a Mod for almost as long. I'm originally from Vermont (read my little profile under my avatar) and have been out west now for 5 years. I still follow VT and visit when I can. One of our goals is to expand coverage to areas outside of New England. In fact, one of the owners of this site lives in Colorado. FWIW I do post a fair bit amount New England skiing--Vermont in particular. Obviously it is not the same as it once was for me, but it is what it is.

If you don't like my posts than don't read them. Simple as that. Instead, feel free to post about what you are doing. We like constructive posts.

abc

The tone of wakenbaconwas clearly of sour grape.

Still, there's something not quite right to have a thread on a northeast board in which almost all the contributors are exclusively of people not living in the northeast, about things that's not happening in the northeast.

I think this thread belongs in Non-Northeast Trip Report, not in this section.

skiNEwhere

When does snowbird close, both this year and in a normal year?

A-Basin skiing well. Colorado snowpack is almost at its highest point of the year (yet all but 3 ski areas closed :uzi: )

Not my pic, taken from http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2016/05/may-1-powder-skiing-and-hiking.html?m=1

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1462204347.079547.jpg

Supposed to get warm this week and trigger some melt off, but should be snowing by the weekend again. Arapahoe Basin, Loveland, and Winter Park will be open. After this weekend, only arapahoe basin will remain open until sometime in June.

thetrailboss

Staff member
When does snowbird close, both this year and in a normal year?

A-Basin skiing well. Colorado snowpack is almost at its highest point of the year (yet all but 3 skis area closed :uzi: )

Not my pic, taken from http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2016/05/may-1-powder-skiing-and-hiking.html?m=1

View attachment 20113

Supposed to get warm this week and trigger some melt off, but should be snowing by the weekend again. Arapahoe Basin, Loveland, and Winter Park will be open. After this weekend, only arapahoe basin will remain open until sometime in June.

Wow, that is sweet.

Snowbird closes on Memorial Day this season. I think they will stick with that.

Last season was second weekend of May. Before that it was Memorial Day the past two seasons.

steamboat1

Snowbird is scheduled to close Memorial Day weekend although I think they go to a Fri.-Sun. only schedule after next weekend. I think it was 3 or 4 years ago where they had their record snowfall & stayed open to July 4 weekend.

I think A-Basin stayed open to late Aug. one year.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Snowbird is scheduled to close Memorial Day weekend although I think they go to a Fri.-Sun. only schedule after next weekend. I think it was 3 or 4 years ago where they had their record snowfall & stayed open to July 4 weekend.

Yes. Snowbird was open until July 4th in 2011. I skied that day. Folks want them to continue to operate. We shall see.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Don't forget there's a new boss in town.

There sure is. So far so good. Leucadia so far has been very good--dumped a ton of money onto needed upgrades, leaving operations alone largely, improving service, etc. But we cannot forget that Mr. Cumming (Sr.) is a shrewd businessman and will cut losses.

skiNEwhere

From what I've heard, I believe that was in 95. Apparently the old Lenawee double had a mid-load station, so people would ride the lift to the top, and then just make laps to the mid station. At the end of the day they would have to walk down in ski boots though. And I believe that year there were pretty good snow storms in June and July.

dlague

http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2016/05/june-5-or-longer.html?m=1

Quote from A Basin COO

Each year we plan on staying open until at least the first Sunday in June. We have done so 33 of the last 35 seasons. We are easily on track to be open until that target. Beyond that, we will wait and see what Mother Nature brings us. If the skiing is still good and people are still out there enjoying the snow, we will be open. If we do have an extended season, we will be open three days a week. Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

steamboat1

We're Open for Skiing Until July 4th by Woolly Mammoth | Jun 02, 2016

4th_900.jpg

We're thrilled to announce that Mammoth Mountain will be open for skiing and snowboarding at Main Lodge until Monday, July 4th. We expect to have top-to-bottom skiing as long as conditions allow.

Be sure to get to Mammoth this June to enjoy the slopes for the eighth straight month and keep up to date with our latest conditions here.

See you on the hill.

snoseek

I should have stayed this time...i could ski carson pass laps after work till midsummer.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

dlague

We are skiing tomorrow at A Basin and anyone still can next weekend where we will be.

thetrailboss

Staff member
To think that I was skiing at Snowbird five years ago today....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

Earlier someone asked about A Basin expansion well here it is. It has been approved.

Attachments

• 1467777893743.jpg
    1467777893743.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 52