• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I want to love the 2014-15 Subaru Forester

How bad are the 2014-15 Forester seats?

• My Butt hurts the seats are so bad

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Seats are tolerable but still below averge on long trips

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Meh, seats are average

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Seats are better than average

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

yeggous

Yup. I've had similar experiences with other manual transmission cars.

Outside of driving performance I prefer manuals for the lower maintenance costs. Transmission issues are much cheaper fixes with a MT as well.

You must do a lot more open highway driving where you're not using the brakes. Commuting in stop and go traffic is a bitch of the brakes.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You must do a lot more open highway driving where you're not using the brakes. Commuting in stop and go traffic is a bitch of the brakes.

A lot of a highway yes, but two days a week on average in Boston driving all over town. 3-4 days a week in Mass in general in heavy traffic. When driving in bumper to bumper if you know how to run the gears, you barely touch the breaks.

Tin

Because I have owned 5 and all have been great values and very reliable. My wife and kids drive them. The 11 Legacy is mine. Always treated right if I had an issue. Personal experience over 20 years of Subi ownership trumps any consumer test.

Maybe you guys just have sh*tty luck.

You might have had better odds winning Powerball than hitting four good Subis in a row like that. That is impressive. Never even one of those damn head gaskets?

Currently on month three of waiting for the dealership to get parts for the passenger airbag replacement. Glad we have more than one car and don't have kids.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Bill, can you elaborate on why the jeep ( and what model jeep?) didn't make your short list after your wife reminded you you'll need to keep the thing for 10 years? Reliability? Cost of maintenance? MPG? Resale value? Just curious, not starting anything. I'm in the market for a new ski vehicle myself soon and found this thread useful.

It was mostly because Jeeps have been off roading for so long they've got the design mastered. Frankly, what I realized is what I want is a small SUV that I can live with on the highway, though I'd rather be playing back country. I play now, no more working at building things. Hauling much more than my backpack or skis would be more than I want. My first love (first car( was a subaru and I loved it. I looked at a lot of vehicles and have knocked them all out for various reasons.
Outback - don't want a station wagon look.

CRV, RAV4 not enough clearance
Santa Fe don't want 3 rows of seats, plus it's too damned expensive
Highlander - too big,
Ford escape concerned about reliability
Jeep Renegade - reliability, gas mileage
Nissan Rogue - no heated seats SHOW STOPPER
Mitsubishi - 3 rows of seats
Mazda CX5 - close contender - don't like styling, no heated seats
VW tiguan - 18" tires for fire roads? who are you kidding?
Hyundai = too little ground clearance

I'm pretty much sold on the Subaru Forester. the damned thing has so much glass, visibility and uptop that it feels like I'm outside. Love it. Roof opens way up. the X-mode features looks like something I could have used last year, and it's getting great reviews. Best ground clearance in its class, been making awd since the 70s and have it perfected. Decent roof rack arrangement, can get aftermarket gear for skis when I have to carry four skiers (not likely). Very good gas mileage. I'm not a hot rodder, and I want to save the planet, so 4 cylinder will work for me. I've been driving in snow storms since the 60's and with the right tires this will rock. Fog lights are great for driving in heavy snow. I like the split seats, I stow my skis inside. *(don't go there, its religious}.

Seats are adjustable so you can ride up really high. Should help me avoid colliding with stumps. well, maybe... Seat comfort - I can get used to most anything, I should be OK. I am going to go up to the Limited trim - that gets me everything I need. Gonna get some rubber floormats this time too.

I don't need to tow anything so the base engine works for me.

I think the stereo is crappy so I'm going to start by swapping out the factory speakers (don't tell my wife.) Probably change out the horn to something that doesn't sound like a toy - I wanna drive like a New Yawker :)

Last edited:

crank

I still love my Highlander at 13 years and 243K. Hoping to keep it for another 60K and will probably replace it with another one.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I still love my Highlander at 13 years and 243K. Hoping to keep it for another 60K and will probably replace it with another one.
You're doing better than me. I usually do 200K or 10 years, at which time the major repairs start. My wife has had her Sienna for 13 years and 220K. I say a prayer every day.

Anyone want to buy a 2006 Audi A6 with 180K? Needs some lower body work from my off-roadin' adventures. Sit inside, close the door, you'd think you're driving a new car. Even got a set of Blizzaks on their own mags with about 4K on them. Now that's a car that is expensive to repair. Which explains the need to move on....

Edd

Anyone want to buy a 2006 Audi A6 with 180K? Needs some lower body work from my off-roadin' adventures. Sit inside, close the door, you'd think you're driving a new car. Even got a set of Blizzaks on their own mags with about 4K on them. Now that's a car that is expensive to repair. Which explains the need to move on....

An Audi with high mileage? I'll take it. How much will you pay me?

gmcunni

CRV, RAV4 not enough clearance
Santa Fe don't want 3 rows of seats, plus it's too damned expensive
Highlander - too big,
Ford escape concerned about reliability
Jeep Renegade - reliability, gas mileage
Nissan Rogue - no heated seats SHOW STOPPER
Mitsubishi - 3 rows of seats
Mazda CX5 - close contender - don't like styling, no heated seats
VW tiguan - 18" tires for fire roads? who are you kidding?
Hyundai = too little ground clearance

only 1 vehicle on that list has removable doors and roof.
jeep2_teaser.gif

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
only 1 vehicle on that list has removable doors and roof.
attachment.php

Yep! too much work for me! (I'll take the senior discount please!)

I'm getting ready to call around for services pricing. I'm hearing $800 for a major (30K miles) service. True dat? Do you find your service and or/parts to be reasonably priced? Looking at Total Cost of Ownership. Yep, I over analyze, but don't want any surprises.

JimG.

Staff member
You might have had better odds winning Powerball than hitting four good Subis in a row like that.

5 bud, not 4. I guess we're in meteor strike territory now.

Everyone is replacing airbags, waited 3 weeks for one for my son Peter's Honda Accord (he's a Subi hater too).

Edd

I used to subscribe to Consumer Reports and read about cars there and everywhere else constantly before buying my current Subie. Reliability was virtually my #1 factor in the purchasing decision. I'm thinking it was 2009 or so that CR stated that Subaru was the most reliable overall brand. The others in the top 3 were Honda and Toyota.

If Subaru really is going downhill I'll have to switch brands when the time comes.

gmcunni

Yep! too much work for me! (I'll take the senior discount please!)

I'm getting ready to call around for services pricing. I'm hearing $800 for a major (30K miles) service. True dat? Do you find your service and or/parts to be reasonably priced? Looking at Total Cost of Ownership. Yep, I over analyze, but don't want any surprises.

don't know about the major service $$. TCO is lower than TFO* so i went for the jeep.

*Total Fun of Ownership

yeggous

I used to subscribe to Consumer Reports and read about cars there and everywhere else constantly before buying my current Subie. Reliability was virtually my #1 factor in the purchasing decision. I'm thinking it was 2009 or so that CR stated that Subaru was the most reliable overall brand. The others in the top 3 were Honda and Toyota.

If Subaru really is going downhill I'll have to switch brands when the time comes.

Did you see that Consumer Reports just sent out their spring survey today? In the automotive section they specifically asked about needing to add oil between oil changes.

Edd

Man, I feel even more lucky. I don't check my oil, personally but I've never had a warning light for low oil or been warned by mechanics during tune-ups. I'm at 91K.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

Well, isn't that special! Glad I've got my eye on a Forester. I read through all the docs. I'll bet all the auto dealers are fuming - they've been told to stop selling them and owners to stop driving them.. Recall 2016 &2017 Legacy and Outback due to a steering column defect. If you read the details, they expect 30% to be defect free. Which is a nicer way of saying that 70% will have problems!. Glad ski season is over and that I haven't bought a car yet! http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...RU&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1991787&submit=Go#