• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I want to love the 2014-15 Subaru Forester

How bad are the 2014-15 Forester seats?

• My Butt hurts the seats are so bad

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Seats are tolerable but still below averge on long trips

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Meh, seats are average

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Seats are better than average

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

yeggous

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Great point yeg. Article underscores this. Initial vs. Long term are appreciated. Hadn't thought to look at power. Problem is I'm already fixated on the Forester. May wait

deadheadskier

Staff member
You seem as committed towards the Forester as Tuna was with his chop shop Legacy GT. ;)

Nothing wrong with that other than like Tuna it wouldn't appear you are soliciting buying advice. More a case of fishing for support in your buying decision.

yeggous

Not really. I'd appreciate you guys presenting the bad side of things.

I shopped the Forester during the winter and can give you my breakdown of Pros and Cons. In the end I decided against buying it.

Pro:
- respectable all-wheel drive system
- affordable entry point for automated safety features (branded EyeSight: auto braking, adaptive cruise control, etc)
- excellent visibility, easilly the best on the market
- affordable base price
- decent fuel economy (thought that's a low priority at $2 / gallon)
- finally has an okay infotainment system (middle of the road quality)

Cons:
- the EyeSight system is not nearly as good as the competition. It does not work in snow, rain, dust, or direct sunlight. There are much better options on the market. Most are more expensive, but Hyundai offers an excellent affordable alternative.
- well known recurring mechanical problems with Subaru engines (oil consumption and head gaskets)
- too small. I can't fit my skis behind the front seat with the seat back far enough for me to fit. There are numerous larger options.
- fit and finish is cheap

I liked the Outback more, but at that price point I couldn't justify it for many of the same reasons. The quality and size was improved, but there are better options at the same price. I like the Nissan Murano, Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, and Honda Pilot (except for the whole minivan look). I didn't buy any of them though. I went even bigger.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Thank Yeg. What kind of driving do you do. I want to understand a little more about the criteria you used, as it relates to drivability and suitability to the task? I recognize the interior issues (looks cheap inside, my wife noted as much.) I thought that the forester boxer engines were over the oil problems. I'll need to investigate further. What did you end up with and why (apart from size?) Do you take your vehicle off the asphalt at all?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

jimk

I never owned a 4wd vehicle before in my life despite being an avid skier for 50 years. In VA you can almost always get by without 4wd esp if you cherry pick your ski days and avoid the very rare travel days when roads are bad throughout our whole region. I bought my Outback in 2013 because it presented a no-brainer choice as a decent performing winter vehicle for a first time 4wd owner. I was also downsizing from 20 years as a minivan owner and it represented a slightly more driver-friendly car, esp for my wife who drives it more than 50% of the time. I got it because as I near full retirement I expect to get into the mtns more frequently including lots of fabulous East Coast powder days.:snow::flag:

Tin

48k 2016-2017 Legacy and Outbacks recalled last week due to "steering failure". What the hell is happening to Subaru?

xwhaler

My 06 Mazda 3 with 208k on the clock doesn't burn a drop of oil. Been running 5w20 synthetic I've changed myself since new. Amazing that Subaru still has these issues when no other manufacturer has them.

yeggous

Thank Yeg. What kind of driving do you do. I want to understand a little more about the criteria you used, as it relates to drivability and suitability to the task? I recognize the interior issues (looks cheap inside, my wife noted as much.) I thought that the forester boxer engines were over the oil problems. I'll need to investigate further. What did you end up with and why (apart from size?) Do you take your vehicle off the asphalt at all?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

There's no real way of knowing if the oil problems are over yet. You'll note that the Consumer Reports review of this car specifically notes them as a risk. The 2014 Forester was part of the class action settlement on the issue. Whether the problem goes away for the 2015 likely remains to be seen.

In my most recent shopping trip I ended up settling on a 2016 Chevy Silverado (1500 Double Cab with the LT trim and All-Star package). I came to the realization that I was likely looking at a $30k price tag to get a moderately priced SUV with my requirements. I'd rather pay a bit more money and get a much more substantial and well built vehicle. The cab on my truck is large is quite spacious, and I still have a 6.5 foot bed with a rolling hard cover to store all my gear. I get a combined 18 mpg, compared to about 21 mpg from most crossovers.

When I was looking at crossovers, three came to the top of my list:
1) Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (the lower priced, 2-row version of the Santa Fe)
2) Nissan Murano
3) Honda Pilot

The deal breaker on the Pilot is that it looks exactly like a minivan. My Y chromosome would never allow it.

The Santa Fe Sport is probably my next vehicle purchase. We currently own a 2011 Santa Fe and have overwhelmingly positive experiences with it. At 105k miles, the only repairs have been tires, brake pads / rotors, and a belt. Hyundai consistently has above average reliability rankings over the last several years, and it comes with a standard 100k powertrain warranty. That is very hard to beat.

I don't often go off paved surfaces, but will sometimes end up on some of the forest service roads in New Hampshire. For example, early and late ski season I'll often take Dolly Copp road home from Wildcat or head up to Mountain Pond in Jackson for a hike. I've never had any issues with either the Silverado or Santa Fe. Most modern AWD systems are good, with some glaring exceptions. The Toyota Rav4 is garbage. Honda CRV's drive system is not great (it's better than the Rav-4 but likewise is designed for hauling the kids to soccer practice). The Honda Pilot's system is much better.

I don't have much experience with the Ford and GM AWD systems. They are both designed to be full dynamic. I'd expect them to perform similar to the Honda CRV.

The Nissan Murano also has a pretty good AWD system. Like the Hyundai / Kia system, it supports a locking 50/50 torque split. Both systems perform comparably and should be plenty for you. While torque split doesn't including an automatically locking differential like a true 4x4, it guarantees you have power to the rear wheels when you want it. Instead of a locking differential, they use braking from the electronic traction control to limit slip.

If you've got the cash, Audi and Accura make excellent AWD systems. I just personally don't see spending that kind of money on a car.

If this type is system doesn't work for you, then you really should not be looking at a crossover. In that case it's time to start talking about a true 4x4, which is another whole discussion. Ford and Chevy trucks are excellent choices. Dodge makes smooth ride, but I worry about Fiat-Chrysler's reliability. Toyota 4-Runner and Tundra are solid but outdated. I just don't understand Jeep. Just like Subaru they have a blindly loyal following despite sub-standard construction and well documented reliability problems.

gmcunni

The Santa Fe Sport is probably my next vehicle purchase. We currently own a 2011 Santa Fe and have overwhelmingly positive experiences with it. At 105k miles, the only repairs have been tires, brake pads / rotors, and a belt. Hyundai consistently has above average reliability rankings over the last several years, and it comes with a standard 100k powertrain warranty. That is very hard to beat.
i drove a Santa Fe Sport in a recent Colorado blizzard and was impressed with how it handled the snow.

Tin

Driverless cars, way ahead of the competition.

LOL. They cannot get head gaskets right or correctly measure a piston ring. You had your own stranded, timing belt failure last year.

Volvo and others are already testing them on public European roads this fall and city driving next year.

WWF-VT

I'll be interested to hear the class action lawsuit results.

Does it involve the head gasket? As far as I'm concerned, pretty much every Subaru owner who has paid to have a head gasket repaired should get a refund. It sounds like the problem still persists. That's a $2k fix. When a problem is that common, it is a design flaw. Head gasket replacement is an extremely rare issue with all other brands. It's not routine maintenance. How Subaru has gotten away with defrauding their customers over that issue for all these years blows my mind.

I am always amazed at how Subaru owners praise the reliability and cost of maintenance but still wind up with a $2K bill at around 100K miles to replace the head gasket. My wife has a 2007 Outback wagon and had to have that repair.

Edd

I am always amazed at how Subaru owners praise the reliability and cost of maintenance but still wind up with a $2K bill at around 100K miles to replace the head gasket. My wife has a 2007 Outback wagon and had to have that repair.

I praise it. They've been very reliable for me. I've never replaced a head gasket and I've been driving 2 Subarus since 2001. Over the past two decades, they've generally been reliable vehicles. I feel like this isn't mind blowing info. If you want to list off less reliable brands over the same time period, that won't be difficult, and there will be a lot of them.

tree_skier

The wife has a 2015 Forester, purchased because of the seat height and comfort (a long story). Loves the car and seat the bad is road noise at highway speed

bigbog

Bill,
If you haven't bought yet...the way to go for tires in the Maine woodlands(and all of northern NE) would be to downsize on the wheelsize IF you can find tires, in that size, with more rugged plies in its tread, to match up in overall diameter. Having a 2nd set of wheels/tires would be a economic and logistic answer I think.
fwiw

Last edited: