• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I want to love the 2014-15 Subaru Forester

How bad are the 2014-15 Forester seats?

• My Butt hurts the seats are so bad

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Seats are tolerable but still below averge on long trips

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Meh, seats are average

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Seats are better than average

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

thebigo

My 06 Mazda 3 with 208k on the clock doesn't burn a drop of oil. Been running 5w20 synthetic I've changed myself since new. Amazing that Subaru still has these issues when no other manufacturer has them.

Same situation, my 2006 Nissan with 202K miles has never burned a drop of oil, wife's 2012 forester has burned approx. 1 quart per 1k miles since it was new. We have been shopping to replace the Nissan, wife likes the crosstrek but I refuse to ever buy another Subaru.

prsboogie

I picked up a Rav4 and love it. My roof box fits well and there is enough storage in the hatch to fit the boot bags. Great milage and it's very stable in weather. I test drove a outback and found the engine extremely noisy. Granted it was a year old with 15K on it but it sounded like a diesel. The 94 I drove was great but this one was super noisy. Anyone else find this?

yeggous

I picked up a Rav4 and love it. My roof box fits well and there is enough storage in the hatch to fit the boot bags. Great milage and it's very stable in weather. I test drove a outback and found the engine extremely noisy. Granted it was a year old with 15K on it but it sounded like a diesel. The 94 I drove was great but this one was super noisy. Anyone else find this?

How does the AWD system perform? I assume you've watched the Consumer Reports comparison testing?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

our 2015 is noisy getting up to speed, but love it otherwise.

prsboogie

yeggous

Latest IIHS test results. This time on headlight brightness for small SUVs.

Executive Summary: none were good. The Mazda CX-3 was best, but only on it's highest trim level. Only other acceptable vehicles were the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V and Hyundai Tucson. The honors for worst headlights go to the Honda HR-V. Of relevance to this thread, the Subaru Forester was rated poor.

bigbog

Swapping in new/different seats takes some planning but can be done. Most cars/SUVs have been included in the aftermarket brackets/sliders database so it's, as usual, the electronics(ie SRS/seatbelt sensors) that have to be planned.

hammer

I still don't get all of the reliability claims on Subarus. My son has an 09 Impreza (mainly for the AWD) and I have been setting money aside for the inevitable head gasket replacement. They might be reliable in many areas but I still don't think they have fixed this.
Just confirmed that this issue is not fixed as of the 09 model year. Son's car is in the shop getting the gaskets done...less than 80K miles. Good thing is that Subaru is covering the repair cost...goodwill warranty. Guessing we may not have been as fortunate if the car had more miles on it, but this was just outside of warranty and we did have to ask.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Glad they're taking care of you. I was over warranty by about 3k on my old Hyundai and they did the same, but it was for $300 sensor job.

Son's car just start running hot? What lead you to take it in?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Pulled the plug on a 2016 last month. Pretty happy, already been tooling around high clearance required woods roads, gravel and crushed stone. Downhill works probably better than I can. I'm pretty utility minded, so most of the things people complain about are lost on me. As far as the engine goes, the failures seem to be in the minority, so statistically I'm taking my chances, hoping by 2016 it's been remedied.. I do not doubt you guys and your mother have had bad oil/engine problems. There is a class action suit that was recently awarded in favor of the complainants. You have to go the attorney's website to get the details.

hammer

Glad they're taking care of you. I was over warranty by about 3k on my old Hyundai and they did the same, but it was for $300 sensor job.

Son's car just start running hot? What lead you to take it in?

It was in for an oil change and there was a check engine light (evap code) that I wanted them to check on. The car did start using oil but nothing near what would be considered excessive. No visible leaks where he parks.

Should have it done in a few days and they gave him a loaner as well.

Car also had a few other suspension issues as well so we'll still be paying a bit to get it all fixed up...

jimk

Pulled the plug on a 2016 last month. Pretty happy, already been tooling around high clearance required woods roads, gravel and crushed stone. Downhill works probably better than I can. I'm pretty utility minded, so most of the things people complain about are lost on me. As far as the engine goes, the failures seem to be in the minority, so statistically I'm taking my chances, hoping by 2016 it's been remedied.. I do not doubt you guys and your mother have had bad oil/engine problems. There is a class action suit that was recently awarded in favor of the complainants. You have to go the attorney's website to get the details.

Pictures or it didn't happen.:razz:

bdfreetuna

Should have got the XT ;)

My 4th gen Legacy GT is now rolling along at 303whp 317wtq at 19psi (although target boost is about 21 so actual numbers a little higher).

Car is such a blast to drive especially after a VF52 turbo swap and pro tune over at BrenTuning. Compression and leakdown test shows the EJ25 engine in perfect health @ 115k miles. Consumes virtually zero oil over the duration of my 3000 mile oil change interval.

Congrats on your Subaru!