• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Man, it sure is quiet around here

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
So my chipmunk drowning trap hasn't actually caught any chipmunks, but I haven't heard any more critters running along the rafters so they are staying away.

I think what happened is a chipmunk saw it and ran back to his chipmunk friends to say "dude, stay away, this dude ain't fuckin' around anymore." Sometimes you just need a little psychological warfare
The only way I got rid of the mice was to move. We lived in a ranch that had an open-air crawl space, with insulation batts in between the joists. pulled out the insulation to replace it and had hundreds, I mean hundreds of mice carcases fall on my head. One of the more disgusting jobs I've had. I also know how long it takes a mouse to stop smelling after it dies - 2 weeks.
My parents bought a house next to a barnyard and the house was filled with mice. They'd never had a cat, but got one. We closed our bedroom doors at night and listened to the battles. Boxes falling, things crashing. Came out in the morning to find our gifts of appreciation laying nicely in the middle of the living room floor. Took about a month, but never had a mouse since then.

Savemeasammy

Our cat and dog make a good mousing team. The cat is a great hunter, but he likes to play with his captures. That's where the dog comes in. She's all business. When she gets ahold of the prey, she bites and kills it. This doesn't necessarily stop them from playing with it, though... A few weeks ago they were both tossing a dead chipmunk around in the back yard...!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ctenidae

I want a cat just for mousing. By no means an infestation, but it's an 1850 house. When the Orkin man comes around every quarter, we usually get a couple more. One got his leg stuck in a sticky trap (one of the little monitoring jobbies), and my wife let it go. She said she put it in the bushes, so it would go away. Because that works well. When I catch one, it dies, then goes in the bushes in the corner. In part as a warning to other critters, in part because I'm sure it drives the neighbor's dog nuts.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Our cat and dog make a good mousing team. The cat is a great hunter, but he likes to play with his captures. That's where the dog comes in. She's all business. When she gets ahold of the prey, she bites and kills it. This doesn't necessarily stop them from playing with it, though... A few weeks ago they were both tossing a dead chipmunk around in the back yard...!
Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Then she came in the house and licked you on the face....