The 2016 Boating Thread - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21
    St. Mary's. It was fun to ski in July. I was on Huck-it-baby's powder skis - so it was interesting! The snow was softened moonscape, but wasn't corn. It was worth doing. I'd never made July turns before.




    Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Savemeasammy View Post
    St. Mary's. It was fun to ski in July. I was on Huck-it-baby's powder skis - so it was interesting! The snow was softened moonscape, but wasn't corn. It was worth doing. I'd never made July turns before.


    Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app
    Hmmm that peeks my interests!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

    2016-2017 target - 50

    If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

  3. #23
    Hit the mighty Susquehanna @ 6:30 AM, glad I didn't go out after work yesterday, Mayflies spawned last night, would've been out at dusk. I've been on the canoe while they were out, creepy, I'd get the heebie jeebies every now and then, bugs in ears, nose, mouth. Had to empty out the pocket of my tee when done.
    1469882187272.jpg
    That's not river scum, trillions of dead mayflies
    Leave no turn unstoned!

  4. #24
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    9,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    Hit the mighty Susquehanna @ 6:30 AM, glad I didn't go out after work yesterday, Mayflies spawned last night, would've been out at dusk. I've been on the canoe while they were out, creepy, I'd get the heebie jeebies every now and then, bugs in ears, nose, mouth. Had to empty out the pocket of my tee when done.
    1469882187272.jpg
    That's not river scum, trillions of dead mayflies
    Dead? From what?

    I wonder why the fish don't eat them. I know there are fish in the Susquehanna.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Dead? From what?

    I wonder why the fish don't eat them. I know there are fish in the Susquehanna.
    Mayflies die very fast after they emerge. Mate then die - hell of a post aquatic life. For the fish, where is the sport in eating dead bugs.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

    2016-2017 target - 50

    If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

  6. #26
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    9,513
    Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Mayflies die very fast after they emerge. Mate then die - hell of a post aquatic life. For the fish, where is the sport in eating dead bugs.
    Excuse my poor writing in my previous reply.

    I meant that I wonder why so many die and are not eaten by the fish while they are still alive. I have big mayfly hatches at my house and I have never seen a mat of dead ones on my river like in Cornhead's pic.

  7. #27
    bigbog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bangor and the state's woodlands
    Posts
    4,786
    Items for Sale
    Usually, so many are, indeed, eaten by fish(trout or bass)....but with many spinner-falls(mayfly mating/laying eggs, then die)...the fish can only eat so much.... I've seen video of the Susquehanna hatches....incredible numbers, has to be the most intense hatch anywhere... The upper branches, and main branch... of the Delaware are just the headwaters of the Susquehanna. Amazing the length & breadth, in acreage/miles....of this one river system's hatch(Green Drake...aka Shadfly...y/n?)
    Last edited by bigbog; Jul 31, 2016 at 1:42 AM.
    SteveD

  8. #28
    Though not as dramatic as paddling through them in the air, it was surreal paddling through the dead flies on the surface. There were times when the entire surface of the water as far as I could see was covered with them. The surface resembling cooked oatmeal.

    The numbers are mind boggling, and I couldn't help but relate my own life to a single dead mayfly amongst the countless others. As George Harrison wrote, life goes on within you, and without you. It's easy to feel you are the center of your universe, when in reality you're just another dead mayfly in a river full of dead mayflies. Life itself, in it's many forms, is the star of the show.
    Leave no turn unstoned!

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Excuse my poor writing in my previous reply.

    I meant that I wonder why so many die and are not eaten by the fish while they are still alive. I have big mayfly hatches at my house and I have never seen a mat of dead ones on my river like in Cornhead's pic.
    Got it!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

    2016-2017 target - 50

    If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

  10. #30
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    9,513
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    Usually, so many are, indeed, eaten by fish(trout or bass)....but with many spinner-falls(mayfly mating/laying eggs, then die)...the fish can only eat so much.... I've seen video of the Susquehanna hatches....incredible numbers, has to be the most intense hatch anywhere... The upper branches, and main branch... of the Delaware are just the headwaters of the Susquehanna. Amazing the length & breadth, in acreage/miles....of this one river system's hatch(Green Drake...aka Shadfly...y/n?)
    So these hatches are like the ones you get on the Beaverkill in the Catskills. Clouds of mayflies. I guess you don't see dead ones in mats because the water is shallower and faster running.

    Driving on 17 in the evening can require stops to clean your windshield with Windex more than once the bugs are so thick.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:27 AM.